Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-11-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
can you write off the road tax that you pay on every gallon of gas for your boat?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-11-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
yes -- i will post the link when i get to work tomorrow -- it is 0.18 per gallon if i am correct.. can also go back as far as 3 yrs if you have receipts...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
Only for certain states? That link that was posted earlier was only for states that approved it. Unless it didn't have all the states listed.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-12-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
this is what i pulled from the link for NC -- maybe Google it for your particular state as leo mentioned..

North Carolina: Recreational boaters can apply for a refund of the state sales tax on gasoline and diesel fuel that is purchased at a highway pump for use in their boats. The current refund is approximately $0.18 per gallon, after taking the current tax of $0.242 and subtracting a use fee of $0.06. The claims are filed annually, and must have original sales invoices attached. Boaters may claim a refund back three years, as long as they have the receipts attached.
To download form Gas 1201 directly off the Internet, go to www.dor.state.nc.us/forms/ <http://www.dor.state.nc.us/forms/>. Once there, click on Motor Fuels and then scroll down to Gas-1201. For more information, call (919) 733-3409.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-12-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
here is the link for all states that offer a refund:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/state_taxrefund.htm
leo - no LA but you're good in TX

(Message edited by denverd1 on July 12, 2006)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
http://www.americanboating.org/fueltax.asp <-- info about all the states
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-12-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
I've been told you have to keep reciepts and they are to be mailed in, is this correct?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-12-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
receipts have to me kept and mailed in -- i keep mine and make a summary when filed....
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-12-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
thanks jt i actually live in nc so that works perfect.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
So, does this go by an honesty policy? I use a ton of fuel throughout the year, but I usually don't get a receipt. If I got one for everything, how would they prove that it was only for off-road purposes?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-16-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
I think you would probably have to show how many hours your boat has used over the year by taking a picture of your hour meter and showing them how long you have owned the boat. But what if they don't believe you. Like me, I put 200hrs on a boat easily a year. Would they believe me?