Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-04-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
raileys are a lot easier then everyone thinks. it is a smooth and relaxing trick and is now my favorite.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-04-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
Yea its easy if you work your way up to it.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-04-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
What is the trick to doing a raley on a tramp.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-04-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
So whats the trick to making it easy? Im just recently getting the hang of w2w w/ sorta decent air. Im ready to learn something different.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-04-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
Taylor, I wish I could agree with ya. I tried at least a dozen this season and couldnt get the hang of it. Every time the "pull" of the rope hit I would get this crazy yank, mainly in one shoulder, and would get sent into a huge front flip.

I know what I was doing wrong, taking off with unequal balance, but I couldnt fix it.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-04-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
i just come in to the wake really hard and once u pop off of the lip gradually kick back your legs and look at the boat with your arms straight out and then give a hard tug on the rope and swing your feet back in. if u hesitate u will most likely fall. if u dont think that u will land it then u wont. but i practiced on the trampoline a lot and it helped me get the feel for it. also if u do it off of the cheesewedge at owc it is easy.
Old     (sigloo)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-04-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
I've gotten pretty comfortable going W2W also, but what is the best way to approach learning new tricks? I love the railey, looks totally sick, but haven't been able to get the board out yet. Anyone ride near Augusta, GA?
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-04-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
the trampoline helps a lot and just take your trick step by step.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-04-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
make sure you look at the boat the entire time you are laying out if not you will open up and do a nasty front flip/spin thing. just cut hard stand tall let your hips back count 1-2 while looking at the boat then bend your knees and pull it all back down. i just landed my first one this past summer, it is definatly a fun trick
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-05-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
I think the one important thing to remember is you don't have to HAUL A$$ in the wake like everyone thinks. I used to go all the way out, then cut the board in, going as fast as I could. Then, when I hit the wake I would stand tall and prey. This would make me very unstable and would only land it 1 out of 4 times maybe. Most of the time I would stargaze sooo bad that I couldn't pull it back in and I would crash HARD on my side.

I started taking this trick with a slow progressive edge (all the way out). By the time I got about 5 feet before the wake, my board is gaining speed and it's a lot more stable. Then stand tall as you go up the wake, relaxing your arms.

If you don't cut hard at the last minute, bending your knees and digging your heels into the water with the board, then you will throw yourself off in the air or the trick won't allow you to get your feet behind you in the air.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-05-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
another key to this trick is keeping your weight evenly dipursed. This will keep your body even when you come off the wake. It'll help not to jerk one arm more than another. Plus, as your extending for the railey look over the tower of the boat. This will help your balance, and when you want to land look down, spot your landing, and get that handle pulled down to your lead hip.
Old     (wakerider23234)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-05-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
also dont straighten your arms right away you will lose the rope tension i keep them bent at first then slowly let them out.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-19-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
Augusta, i guess it is close, have you heard of lake blue ridge?.. and allatoona, and weiss in alabama. sorry for the hijak
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-19-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
sorry again, but how do you do it on a trampoline, i cant pull myself back. do you need a special pulley thing or contraption?
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-19-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
no you just pull in with your arms and make sure u have tension. i sometimes pull in and push my arms down. use ur abs too. just practice.
Old     (peterd)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-22-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Brian, to practice the railey on the tramp, you have to jump high so you have enough time to get extended and back. I first tried it on a tramp with mushy springs and could not get high enough, then tried it on a good tramp and had no problem. A few other thoughts that may help: I think about kicking my feet back like a rodeo horse kicking its hind legs. You can also try grabbing your feet like a hoochie glide. It will make your body more compact. Keep your elbows bent with the handle just above your forehead - that will also help you stay compact.

Now that I've said all this I'll disclose I've never landed a railey. good luck sucker... Actually, I'm working on it with a wake skate and having pretty good success. Last time out I came down feet first 5 of 6 attempts...now I just need to do it with the board on.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       12-23-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
just an FYI, ya'll need to give Chet Raley a little love... It was his idea back in the day ya know. Darin stuck it first try.