Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-23-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
Wakeworld'ers

I need some advice on a board purchase. I've been riding for a while now and have a decent amount of inverts, raley based tricks, and spins. I currently ride the liquid force trip 142 (continuous rocker) and have been for a while now, but I am looking to change things up.

I am considering the Hyperlite Marek. I am 6' 200 lbs. What size would you guys recommend? I'm thinking of the 145, but I want to know if it is easy to throw around (the BIO version is in my price range not so much the NOVA).

If anyone has recommendations on non-flex core boards with an abrupt continuous or 3-stage rocker, I would really appreciate it!

Side Note: I had the opportunity to ride the green mastercraft used at the PWT along with a G23 (giant wakes) and now all I want to do is to boost off of my families RZ4 and I think I could get more pop with a 3-stage style rocker...am I'm o.k. with sacrificing some speed.

Thanks!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-23-2015, 6:42 AM Reply   
The Marek is going to give you more speed, not really more pop. I would move to a 3-Stage board for getting vertical pop.

The Murray would be a good transition for you, it's a "Subtle 3 Stage Rocker".
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
The best "pop" from any non-flex board was the old Byerly boards... they had like 3.3" + rockers and just booted you.

Since then, I've really only ridden flexboards. I would say your best bet is find the most aggressive 3-stage board(s) out there and demo.
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-23-2015, 7:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I would demo, but where I am in northern Virginia just outside of DC, there aren't any shops : /

I heard the Marek was pretty poppy......it has an 'abrupt' continuous rocker. Although I'm not sure how hyperlite really defines 'abrupt' compared to a 3-stage.

Back in the day I rode a PS3 and the S4 which were three stages. I just want something fast with that pop from a 3-stage.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-23-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
Here is a brief discussion of Marek vs Murray. I doubt THAT much has changed since then,

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785940

Marek = Fast
Murray = POP

The Marek is going to pop you in more of a line drive across the wake. Some people like that because it will send you into the flats with ease. The Murray will ride lower in the water, which provides less speed and more vertical pop.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-23-2015, 8:09 AM Reply   
This is the argument as old as time. Boards with more rocker weighted on the tip and tail are slower and therefore provide more vertical with less crossing speed, but they definitely do not give you more "pop" (make you go higher). That all comes from the rider loading the line and pushing off hard.:bang head:

If you are not getting all the pop you want, go spend your money on a wake lesson with a pro.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-23-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
This is the argument as old as time. Boards with more rocker weighted on the tip and tail are slower and therefore provide more vertical with less crossing speed, but they definitely do not give you more "pop" (make you go higher). That all comes from the rider loading the line and pushing off hard.:bang head:

If you are not getting all the pop you want, go spend your money on a wake lesson with a pro.
I think "more vertical with less crossing speed" is probably what most people are referring to when they say they want a board with more "pop".
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-23-2015, 8:20 AM Reply   
But you still have to edge just as hard.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-23-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
But you still have to edge just as hard.
absolutely ... the equipment won't do all of the work for you, but OP is an experienced rider so I'm sure that he knows that.
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-23-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
I've been wakeboarding and competing for some time now and I'm always looking for opportunities to learn from those more experienced than me! I am looking to change up my board though and I think that moving to a 3-stage rocker design will spice up my tricks and riding behind the boat (to the smallest degree). One thing I am torn between is whether to go 142 again or up the size to 145......again I am 6' 200 lbs.....any word of advice on sizing??
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-23-2015, 10:01 AM Reply   
Check out the Ronix Parks Air Core. I moved to it from an older Marek and love it. It is a slower board but I feel the pop is not as hard to control as some other big 3 stage boards.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       04-23-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
Both marek and Murray have changed significantly since 2011. Big model change was 2013 for both.
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-23-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
Both marek and Murray have changed significantly since 2011. Big model change was 2013 for both.
Good to know! Do you know what some of the changes were?
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-23-2015, 5:32 PM Reply   
Have you ridden any 3 stage boards before? I find that the additional vertical pop isn't worth the inconsistency it comes with. While you do get more of an explosive pop, you have to be much more conscious of your weight distribution at takeoff. For some people it's not a big deal though. As far as sizing, i'm also 6' 190-200lbs. Given the choice, i always go with the biggest board i can get. The added surface area will give you some additional lift.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-24-2015, 3:44 AM Reply   
I'm still pretty much a novice and no where near the level you are but I went from a liquid force omega (mellow hybrid rocker) to a 2013 Ronix One (aggressive 3 stage) and I love it. I only ride behind a direct drive ski boat so even loaded the wake isn't big and the One gives so much more vertical lift and I find it to be no slower, if not faster. I do find it a little harder to be consistent but the extra pop makes up for that. I would check out either a One or Code 21
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-24-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
The Watson Classic has really good pop
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-24-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
The best "pop" from any non-flex board was the old Byerly boards... they had like 3.3" + rockers and just booted you.

Since then, I've really only ridden flexboards. I would say your best bet is find the most aggressive 3-stage board(s) out there and demo.
Man I loved that board. The Pop was so front foot heavy it just blasted you.

There are a lot of aggressive 3 stage boards out there. For More vertical pop that is what your going to want. It will take some getting used to tho- going from a progressive to a 3-stage. The pop will be a lot more off your front foot and the board will feel a bit slower and sluggish on the water. But what you loose in speed you make up in pop. I find that I ride at a faster speed on a 3 stage and on a longer line, this helps make up for some of the sluggishness. Check out the O'Brien Contra, its real fast with the delta base and has a great kick with 2.77" of aggressive 3 stage rocker on the 141, I am going to riding the Contra primarily this seasons.

As for board size, I'm 6' 3" 220 and a 141-43 is plenty big for me, really it all comes down to surface area under your feet. If your ride a board shorter your going to notice that you go out the front a lot when you land, like the board slows down faster than your upper body when you land and you get pull out the front. This will happen to me if I an riding a longer board like a 143 that has a narrower profile too. Over the last 20 years I have ridden boards from 135 to 145 I really dont notice any difference in size unless I am jibbing or when you initiate your cut at the boat, bigger boards feel slower, but in the air and swing weight is not something I've ever noticed.

hope this helps man.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-25-2015, 5:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
Man I loved that board. The Pop was so front foot heavy it just blasted you.

There are a lot of aggressive 3 stage boards out there. For More vertical pop that is what your going to want. It will take some getting used to tho- going from a progressive to a 3-stage. The pop will be a lot more off your front foot and the board will feel a bit slower and sluggish on the water. But what you loose in speed you make up in pop. I find that I ride at a faster speed on a 3 stage and on a longer line, this helps make up for some of the sluggishness. Check out the O'Brien Contra, its real fast with the delta base and has a great kick with 2.77" of aggressive 3 stage rocker on the 141, I am going to riding the Contra primarily this seasons.

As for board size, I'm 6' 3" 220 and a 141-43 is plenty big for me, really it all comes down to surface area under your feet. If your ride a board shorter your going to notice that you go out the front a lot when you land, like the board slows down faster than your upper body when you land and you get pull out the front. This will happen to me if I an riding a longer board like a 143 that has a narrower profile too. Over the last 20 years I have ridden boards from 135 to 145 I really dont notice any difference in size unless I am jibbing or when you initiate your cut at the boat, bigger boards feel slower, but in the air and swing weight is not something I've ever noticed.

hope this helps man.
Have you had a chance to try out the CTP yet? I was looking at it the other day and just wondered what it was like to ride and how it would compare with the One
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-25-2015, 5:54 AM Reply   
I've ridden the current trip, marek, and murray. In my opinion the marek and murray are both better in every aspect than the trip. Between the marek and murray I feel like the pop is much more abrupt on the marek but both are good. While the marek is a faster feeling board with more surface area, the murray responds quicker to edge change since it's narrower. I'd say the murray is slightly more forgiving also. I'm literally the same height and weight as you and I prefer the 145 to the 142 boards. Maybe go with the new kruz shape instead. I haven't got to try that one yet but I'm guessing it will be a little looser feeling version of the marek since they switched to smaller fins and it has less channels. They kept the rocker line the same though. Just depends what you like in a board.
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-25-2015, 6:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice guys! In terms of 3-stage boards, I used to ride the S4 and PS3 back in the day. Last night I bought a 2012 Murray 142 off ebay for $135....I didn't break the bank which was good. I will post to this forum and let you guys know what it was like when I take it on the water next weekend
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-04-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
Alright, so the Murray performs much better than the LF Trip I was riding. It is still fast and has a little more front foot 'pop' off the wake. Stoked on the purchase. Thank you for all your guys insight.