Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (redrider)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-14-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
I am 6-0 and 195 lbs. and in the market for a new surfer. I currently have a Coex 4.4 and a Brodcast 5.9 and ride a loaded Enzo 23, with the wake dialed in pretty well. I love the "loose" feel of the Coex but have really difficult time keeping up. I feel like am always searching for the sweet spot just to keep going. The Brodcast is nice i can ride all over the wake with out any effort however it feels like a whale. I am looking for some thing with the playfulness of the Coex and the "stability/power" of the brocast. Both of the boards are a few years old so i am hoping that there has been some significant progress in board tech. Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-14-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
I was in the same boat(ha ha)6' 220, as you riding a Coex and Broadcast.
I got a Inland Surfer Blue lake quad. Its a lot bigger, but the learning curve is short. Just my opinion.
Old     (redrider)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
I have been considering the Blue Lake. Any comments/opinions on a CWB Tsunami in a 4-11?
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-15-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
You guys need to find a dealer that has a few boards for demo. We all can suggest a board to you, but they are our opinions only. Find something that works with your style and your boat wake. Try out demo's or find someone that has a different board and try that one out and see if it works for you. Some of the best places to try/demo are surfing events. I know it is not much help, but it works.
Old     (redrider)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
I definitely would like to demo some boards some time. Does anybody know on ant events planed for Minnesota this season or of any shops that demo surfers?
Old     (redrider)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
I definitely would like to demo some boards some time. Does anybody know on ant events planed for Minnesota this season or of any shops that demo surfers?
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       03-19-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Dri-Port Marine in MO brought in a good selection of wakesurfers for 2009 - and offer a Demo program on all their gear during the season. Look them up or call them.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-19-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Hyperlite's new wakesurf the swell is a lot like the coex, but it has a lot more push. It's a 4'3'' but you would have no problems finding the sweet spot on that board
Old     (wazzu_wakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
i rode a coex for a couple years, and then i switched to the Phase 5 Drew Pro. The Phase 5 has a nice, loose feel like the coex, but tons more push and it is way lighter for aerials... definitely try out a phase 5
Old    surfdad            03-21-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
The P5's and the Swell do have more down-the-line speed over the Coex, but it's not really push or drive, it's a lack of drag. The Coex has what are called soft rails - they are rounded almost the full length of the board. Water will wrap around curved surfaces and create drag for our typical size wakes and rider weight. It also prevents the board from releasing well, it's like the board is suctioned down to the water.

Both the Swell and the P5's have sharp rails. Water releases very well off of sharp abrupt edges, creating less drag and that sense of being faster.

All things being equal (length, fins, volume, etc) a board with sharper rails will feel faster down-the-line than one with rounded soft rails for most of it's length, for the way we ride behind the boat. For aerials, you'll also want a board that releases well - hard rails, at least on the tail.