Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (marceloutn)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-08-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Hello. I am planning to buy my first wakeboard. I have started wakeboarding 3 month ago. I can already clear both wakes doing grabs and 180. I have been riding in a friendīs watson 2013 board and a harley board. I prefere the watson one, because I feel that the harley is too difficult to control. I wonder what board would help me the most to upgrade my skills.
I do not want to buy a watson because it is too fragile (my friend just broke two).
I was suggested to buy a ronix one or a humanoid Oracle.
I already own the harley 2013 bindings that I got as a gift. Do those bindings fit on other boards?
Money is not a problem. And do not ride in parks.
Sorry for my poor english.

Here is a video of my last ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZPqjFpH60
Old     (JDK13)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-08-2013, 7:42 PM Reply   
I like slingshot because they are pretty much indestructible and they are really easy to ride for all levels
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-08-2013, 11:57 PM Reply   
what is difficult about the Harley?
the pop? the edging? something else or in addition to?

I am a slingshot fan too. the slingshot response or newton would be most similar to the humanoid oracle.
Best of all would be to ride a few more boards if you have access to that ability to do so... which many don't

the boards you ride now are 3 stage style rockers which tend to have a steeper pop and a bit slower glide speed compared to continuous boards that have a faster speed and more arching style pop. continuous boards also tend to land a bit softer than 3 stage counterparts.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2013, 12:00 AM Reply   
Ohh and YES your bindings will fit other boards. you might need some spacers/ washers. you might need a different thread size on the bolt. no problems that cant be easily solved if you have any problems at all.
Old     (marceloutn)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-09-2013, 6:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
what is difficult about the Harley?
the pop? the edging? something else or in addition to?

I am a slingshot fan too. the slingshot response or newton would be most similar to the humanoid oracle.
Best of all would be to ride a few more boards if you have access to that ability to do so... which many don't

the boards you ride now are 3 stage style rockers which tend to have a steeper pop and a bit slower glide speed compared to continuous boards that have a faster speed and more arching style pop. continuous boards also tend to land a bit softer than 3 stage counterparts.
About the harley I feel like the edging does not hold, it slips.
Yes I really would love to ride different boards to help me decide, but I am from Brazil and it would be impossible do do here.
What slingshot board would you reccomend?
Thank you for your help!
Old     (marceloutn)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-09-2013, 7:15 AM Reply   
And also feel like the harley is too loose on the flats.
I ride at a bay at the ocean, so I think I would need a more locked board.
Any tips on that?
Old     (marceloutn)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-09-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
One other question, if I replace the harley side fins for a bigger one (the original is 0.7) it would help to a more locked feel? Is it possible to buy those bigger ones?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
it should be possible. to get larger fins. many fins from different brands are interchangeable, but not all.
Choosing a board that has bolt-on fins on the corners will be nice so you can change the ride of the board.

Did the watson have bigger fins? If the Watson you were riding had larger fins then that would very likely explain the better handling in your case. If not, then there must be something else about the board. If so, then you can take the fins off the watson and put them on the harley to test the theory.

the humanoid oracle and many of slingshots boards have no channels on them, so they may or may not be too slippery for you. However, a friend of mine was worried on this point coming from a hyperlite Motive (tiny molded-in side fins) and thought he had way better control on my slingshot (.7 fins on sides).
boards like slingshot have a bit of flex which makes it super nice for doing tail-presses on the water like you were doing in your video.

do you like the speed you get on the harley and watson? or would you like it to be able to ride faster?
do you like the pop of the harley and watson? or would you like it to be less steep or less bucking?

just trying to narrow down your rocker preference. it is very important. there are hybrid rocker styles that blend both worlds too. when it comes to speed for example: i have two boards nearly entirely identical besides rocker style. at my local cable park i can swing into the dock with little effort on my continuous rocker board, but with my 3 stage rocker board i have to set a mean edge to get into the dock

Last edited by wakerider111; 08-09-2013 at 9:34 AM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2013, 9:02 PM Reply   
I'm gona take a safe guess that you like the speed and pop of the three-stage rocker boards you are riding:
here are some boards that have a 3 stage rocker types and have bolt-on fins on all corners so you can change how the board rides with different fins

Slingshot recoil and hooke
Ronix One and Parks
Obrien Bruce and Contra
Liquid Force Shane Hybrid
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-11-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
Thats strange that you feel the harley is a loose board, its considered more of a fast cutting, good tracking board. Something that would track more is the marek or clash for instance. Usually board with a smooth bottoms are going to be looser. I think you may need to learn to use the edge of the board maybe take the fins off for a bit and try riding like that then put them back on.