Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-14-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
Murray took a gnarly wreck at Wake Games today. I didn't see it happen, but he got carted off in an ambulance and I was told by another rider that he might have broken a rib or two. How's he doing? I hope it's not too serious...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            04-14-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
Was told he had multiple fractured ribs but was going to be ok
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-14-2012, 7:53 PM Reply   
Damn, how'd it happen? I heard he fell near the pipe rail but didn't actually hit the obstacle, just the water. He must've crashed pretty hard. What was he going for?
Old     (mpfiste2)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-14-2012, 7:54 PM Reply   
Saw this on Facebook from Hyperlite.

The Nautique Boats Wake Games has ended and I wanted to let everyone know Shaun Murray is doing as well as can be after his wrap KGB to broken ribs. It was windy today, real windy, as Shaun cut at the 1st trick in his pass, he said he over cooked the roll to fast leaving him suspended and stalled for a second. Facing a headwind just didn't allow him to continue the rotation needed to get back to his board, so he plummeted from his peak - past the trough of the wake and landing on his back. Shaun is religious about wearing his Coast Guard approved vest and it paid off today. It was a tense moment from the crash to getting him on the dock and having to wait for the medic. He's at home now and he'll definitely catch up on any missed movies.

What's funny is after the Wake Games PR was released I looked at his heat and he only got 5 points. He laughed saying that crash should have at least warranted 15. Come on judges, it's Shaun Murray, just give him more than 5!
-Nelson
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            04-14-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   

Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-14-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
What a trooper! Thanks for the info, mate
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-14-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
Wow, that sucks. I hope he makes a quick recovery.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2012, 5:20 AM Reply   
that sucks. rib injuries in the water are the worst!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-15-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Ouch. Look slike he is in some pain. Hope he heals quick. Agreed that rib injuries are the worst on the water. Even more so when you still have to hook up the boat, drive it home, park it and unhook it, all while your ribs are fractured.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-15-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
get better shaun!!!! i dig that even in an emergency situation he had time to slide on a fox hat. some tm was doing his job.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-15-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
Speedy recovery Shaun!
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-15-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Take care Shaun. Quick recovery!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-15-2012, 3:53 PM Reply   
It's that damn g23 I tell ya!
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-15-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the fact that he was so influential in this boats design then it goes out and destroys his ribs in the first competition he rides behind it, lol.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-15-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
Hope you get better soon Shaun!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-15-2012, 5:25 PM Reply   
Best Wishes Shaun! I was looking at the wind that day and though it was going to make things tough.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-15-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
Man tough break. The KGB has got his number. He was knocked out cold on a KGB 5 at a tour stop a couple of years ago. I hope to see him make a quick recovery and get back to the comps. He's still doing very well against the youngsters and winning heats.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-15-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
The KGB is a scary, dangerous trick, and it has wrecked many a great rider. Not to mention the KGB 5!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            04-15-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Best Wishes Shaun! I was looking at the wind that day and though it was going to make things tough.
Yeah it was a good 15mph eastern winds that day blowing right down the lake. It was pretty rough conditions.

It also brought a chill to the air, I know it sounds weird but us FL residents were cold with it in the 60s and blowing so hard. Im not going to call Rusty a wuss but the dude was shivering like no other and immediately ran into his rv to change after his run.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-16-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
It was my own fault for leaving too early on the KGB. Caused me to under rotate the flip and took it straight to the ribs. In bed since getting home from the hospital. You can follow me on FB and Twitter shaunmurraywake, or instagram shaunmurray. pretty crazy about instagram getting bought for a Bill, huh?! Shaunmurray.com just went live and I posted some more details about my injury on the blog page.
Dave, thanks for stopping by The Boarding School a couple weeks back. For those of you who don't know, Dave Williams can shred, which is always cool when people in the industry can ride and are involved b/c they enjoy riding.
The G23 wake is something that you will be blown away by. I know there has been a lot of hype, but it is warranted and you can't say anything until you stand in one, especially behind it.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-16-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
^boom
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-16-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun_murray View Post
Dave, thanks for stopping by The Boarding School a couple weeks back. For those of you who don't know, Dave Williams can shred, which is always cool when people in the industry can ride and are involved b/c they enjoy riding.
I'll be shopping for picture frames today, so that I can hang this in my office!!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-16-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
that is why i love our sport! get on a MLB, NBA or NFL "forum" and see if one of their "pros" comes on and talks and gives every body the heads up themselves! You're awesome Shaun!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-16-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
Pretty freaking cool....David..... Anyone a legend gives you props just makes the chest puff out that much more!

SM - get well soon man!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
Rib injuries are the worst. Take forever to heal. They are the most painful because there is an artery, vein and a nerve that run under ever rib! Every time you breathe, cough, sneeze its agonizing pain. When I use to shoot x ray these people were in the MOST pain of any except kidneys stones and well women giving birth.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-16-2012, 9:39 PM Reply   
Ribs are nasty. I did just one and the pain from that was intense, can't imagine more than one! Ouch. Speedy recovery Shaun, but I know from experience it's not so speedy!
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-17-2012, 2:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun_murray View Post
It was my own fault for leaving too early on the KGB. Caused me to under rotate the flip and took it straight to the ribs. In bed since getting home from the hospital. You can follow me on FB and Twitter shaunmurraywake, or instagram shaunmurray. pretty crazy about instagram getting bought for a Bill, huh?! Shaunmurray.com just went live and I posted some more details about my injury on the blog page.
The G23 wake is something that you will be blown away by. I know there has been a lot of hype, but it is warranted and you can't say anything until you stand in one, especially behind it.
^^^^^^^^^^ Legend. Hope you recover quickly

P.S I tried to add you on Facebook but it says you already have too many friends

Last edited by Frozenwhite; 04-17-2012 at 2:55 AM.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-17-2012, 6:06 AM Reply   
i did the same, just go to his page and "like" it, he's good at updated it and whatnot.
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-17-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippi View Post
i did the same, just go to his page and "like" it, he's good at updated it and whatnot.
Cool. Cheers