Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Winter projects are in full effect at the West home. It’s like everything is getting something done to it @ once. I guess my own advice is taking effect "If you want to get stuff done b4 the sun comes out you better start cracking" This is the latest project. I have my tower box all pulled apart because I’m switching out all the LED’s in the boat from single color LED’s to multi or rgb LED’s, that’s what brought me to this project. With the box all pulled apart and bare I got to thinking what I could do to change some things up and sort of update the speakers in my tower box. I’m very happy with the sound that the current speakers (Boston Acoustics NX97’s) are producing. I have “8” 6X9’s in my tower. 4 shoot straight back and 4 shoot straight down. All 8 are being powered by a PPI 4125 in 2 Ohms. So the tower is getting 1000 watts. It’s plenty loud and very clean. I had an Idea. What if I could make a Hybrid type of system? HLCD’s shooting back in the tower box that would provide the throw for distance and then keep the Boston Acoustics NX97’s shooting down and into the boat so my ears won’t bleed. The first problem I saw was I would have to remake the way the speakers mount in the box because the only HLCD’s I know of are "6 inch round and I need 6X9’s. Then the 2nd problem I thought about was how am I going to tune/control the HLCD’s right next to the NX97’s. Right now all the speakers in the boat are NX97’s so the freq.’s for the tower and the hull are all tuned threw 1 EQ. The EQ doesn’t have to try and find a happy medium between 2 different types of speakers they are all the same size and same brand. Then I thought of the WS420 could fix the duel equalization and zone problem. So the only problem was figuring out if the HLCD’s would fit in the tower box. I placed a call to Tim @ wetsounds and told him what I was thinking and I’m glad I did b4 I did any cutting because low and behold he said the were coming out with a 6X9 HLCD. Hummm sound's interesting. Here is a pick of the Wetsounds 6X9’s and here is a pick of my tower box.
The HLCD’s look pretty big back by the magnet I’m wondering if they are going to fit. Anybody have any Idea how the 2 different types of sound will blend? HLCD’s shooting back Vs conventional speakers shooting down.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload