Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
I'm looking for some ideas on cheap food options that can provide lunch for me for multiple days.

So I work out over lunch and then eat at my desk every day after I'm finished. I did frozen meals for a long time and got totally burned out on them...plus we all know they aren't the best source of nutrition. Lately I've been doing a Quizno's or Subway sandwich and chips for lunch. I don't mind doing so but that can get expensive and I'm looking for some healthier and more balanced options that will make food for more than one day.

I know a guy at the gym that bakes a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week and then mixes it with some pasta. He just keeps it all in a huge container and takes out a reasonable portion each day for lunch. It is cheap, quick, and something that doesn't take making a good choice each day. Something along those lines would be good, but I didn't think pasta every day would be the best choice.

Any suggestions on specific meals that will fit this category and how to prepare them?

Thank you!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-05-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
I do that on occasion, and also mix in salads with a light balsamic. toss in the chicken, and some hard boiled eggs, and you have a nice little lunch.
grab a couple handfuls of raw almonds about an hour to hour and a half later and you should be good till dinner time.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
Train - You do the chicken with pasta? How do you prepare it and what type of sauce do you use? I do keep some almonds around which make a good snack.

It should be known that I'm a VERY picky eater.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-05-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Get yourself a restaurant/commercial deli meat slicer off craigslist, I got my Hobart for $100. Then buy whatever meat is on sale and make sandwiches. I just bought two hams that were $35 for $8. I froze one and sliced the other up. I can slice cheese, bread, etc.. with my Hobart.

We also started buying almost all our food from Azure Standard. You save a ton of money if you plan your meals out in advance. We are fostering eight new kids from Cuba and it is the only we can do it and Azure is all natural food too! No more grocery shopping and it's delivered to the door!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
yeah those lunches are sounding pretty bad Eubanks. You can do better. Post workout, your body is like a spunge ready to absorb good nutrients. Those meats at subway and Quiz are reeally bad. They're full of nitrates and other additives to preserve the food for months.

I would avoid the pasta, it's a processed food. I would grill or bake chicken, and mix it with a whole grain rice instead. You can also use good quality sausage in that dish. My wife makes a white bean casorole that rocks too. I've also been baking turkeys and slicing them up.

If you really want to get picky, try to avoid the microwave. They destroy your food before you get a chance to eat it and reduce the nutritional value.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-05-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Great thread topic. I actually just finished my workout, and lunch at my desk now. I currently do the sandwich routine with chips, but am getting a bit tired of the same stuff. I'm also looking for ideas to replace the chips with something a little more healthy.

I try to change up the sandwich meat here and there, and also try to do bagels instead of sliced bread occasionally.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-05-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
I use whole wheat pasta from TJ's, and mix in some sauteed veggies with the grilled chicken breast. no sauce needed. IMO. I will do the whole grain rice for dinner, as I prefer that fresh and not reheated for lunch.
I also try and purchase all of my food from someplace other than the larger chain grocery stores to avoid the preservatives.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-05-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
I do the same almost every work day - hit the gym at lunch and then eat back at my desk. I don't really mind eating the same thing for lunch every day, so if you need variety I can't be much help.

I usually eat a sandwich and a small side for lunch. I can throw a good sandwich together in about 3 min before work. I have several sandwich size Gladwares to keep them from getting squashed, and I keep the veggies separate in a little snack size Ziploc. That way I can heat the sandwich up a bit in the microwave to take off the chill from being in the fridge all morning, and then throw on the cold veggies (which also haven't been soaking the bread all morning).

Sides are usually something like soup, beans, chili, pasta, etc. I will open a can and dump it in a Gladware at home so I can eat it for 2-3 days.

Otherwise I just pack leftovers if we have them.

Breakfast is a yogurt and a piece of fruit at my desk, almost every day.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-05-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
BTW, noticed how crowded the gym is this week? Thank god they'll all be gone again by February... :-)
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Lately I have been on a soup kick. Easy to make with a crock pot, and you can turn it on in the morning before work, and it's done when you get home. I have a pretty big crock pot and will fill it close to the top when making soup. After what my family of five eats for dinner, I usually will have enough leftovers to can 4-5 quarts. I will take a quart to work with me and eat half one day and the other half the next. I will mix it up with a vegetable beef, chicken and veggies, chicken noodle, seven bean, and lentil. There are a ton of recipes on the internet for soups. Most are healthy, and nothing like a warm soup on a cold day.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
microwave left-over chicken and veggies in a tupperware and an Uncle Ben's microwave bag of rice. You can switch up the veggies and rice
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
I like the chicken and rice ideas so far. I'm not a big soup fan unfortunately. So is whole grain rice ok to eat like 4 days a week?

If I could fix 4 chicken breats Sunday night and then just microwave them each day for lunch that would be great. The less work and prep time I have each day would be great.

Where do you guys buy your chicken breasts from? We usually buy the frozen bags from Sam's and like them alright. I'm sure you can find better quality meat elsewhere though.

So what do you guys think about the steam bags of veggies? They seem quick and are obviously healthier than my chip option. Sure fresh is better but I'm not sure if it's more practical for me.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Oh, and I'm drinking a Mountain Dew right now. Are those bad for you?
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-05-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
You can buy your meat at Azure Standard.

They sell Shelton's which has been in business since 1924.

Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
Ah....microwaving in plastic???

This conversation is a loosing battle for me! Lol
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
Can you tell me how much these are? They are the only chicken breasts I saw. What cut do you get with Azure? haha

http://www.azurestandard.com/product.php?id=MP032
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-05-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
I hate the frozen chicken, I buy fresh chicken and only freeze it if it's on sale. I think the fresh stuff tastes much better.

something I've been eating lately are chicken gyros...grill chicken ( sliced thin) with greek seasoning, whole wheat pita, some lettuce /tomato/red onion, and I make a homeade cucumber/dill sauce ( using greek yogurt). I usually run down to a deli and grab a salad to go with it.

I'm like you Eubanks....eating subway/quiznos 2-3 times a wk gets old.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
J-Rod - They have real plates in my office. I could dump it out of the plastic container first!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-05-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
How do you guys reheat rice and keep it from getting stale and dry?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Water or butter? I don't know.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-05-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Without the discount it's expensive... I get a 40% discount for being a dropoff point for several local families. We have a raised dock and a walk-in freezer. I think it's a split chicken breast if I remember correctly...

Upload

Adam is correct, if we can we go the fresh route... we have started to raise and butcher our own rabbits this year... Way better than chicken meat!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Holy cow Dude! Them some expensive chickens. I'll stick to the local grocer for now and see how it goes.

Keep the opinions coming. I would love to hear the veggie prep and what works best. I'll eat most of the green stuff and like carrots as well.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-05-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
I sautee broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and some times snap peas. just cut the broccoli and cauliflower into quarter size pieces, and julienne the carrots. a little olive oil, garlic salt and pepper. toss that into your pasta or rice and you are good to go.
I mix it up from time to time with green beans, asparagus, etc. just take your favorite veggies and go with it. you will find some that are not as good re-heated as the others though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
I'd pay extra for Chicken raised witout hormones, antibiotics, and cruelty.

The mass produced chicken farms include antibiotics in their chicken fead (IN THEIR FOOD) to combat the disease infestation from their living conditions.

Buy the good stuff!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-05-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
sprinkle some water on rice before you micro it so its not dry. Or moisten the paper towel you cover the food with in the micro. Both works.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-05-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
Jrod is hitting it on the head ( well except on the pasta but then again I am italian so real deal pasta only and no whole wheAt for me).

Chickens are the filthiest animals on the planet, only free range organic there.

And never, ever, ever heat anything in plastic on the nuker.

The key to the nuker is to add a little wAter, cover and heat on 50% power max for a longer time.

Taking leftovers into the food processor with some low fat mayo and celery makes a great chicken, ham whTever salad..
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-05-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
Eubanks, as I am the definition of physical fitness you are welcome to join me in my diet. I like to start the week with a firm foundation. I do the chicken, but instead of the dry white meat grilled, I get the dark stuff General Tso's style from China Dragon (its the special on Mondays) with some lo mein and veggie. Tuesday is typically Taco Bell. I keep it simple with 3 bean burritos and 3 double decker tacos. I wash it down with Mountain Dew (only MD of the week). Wednesday is a bacon cheese burger from Ziggys and some fresh cut fries. Thursday's is the toss up, its either chicken fried chicken with mash taters and dirty rice from Treebirds, or back to the Dragon for honey chicken (again on special on Thursdays). Friday, I like to dial it back and eat a Panini and potato soup from Corner Bakery. best part is that we dont even have to walk outside to get it! Let me know if you are in!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-06-2010, 5:16 AM Reply   
Is the heating in plastic from my comment? I use the Gladware that is microwave safe.... Is that what you're saying not to use?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-06-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
I don't "cook" stuff in plastic containers, but I have a real hard time believing that heating my soup to 120º or so in Gladware is going to kill me.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-microwave-dioxin.htm
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
The snopes deal is calling out an email that plastic in the nuker casuses cancer. The reason is, that email was created and sent out by a person who got the information from a tv show. It's considered bs for that reason. Dig further on your search.

There's no proof that it causes cancer, but there is proof that heating plastic releases toxins. The mfging and disposal of plastic also is bad for the environment.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-06-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
JG - Haha! Yeah, I've seen your diet. This thread was started on a good minded diet day. I'm sure there will still be plenty of Bible Burger (St. Paul's Cafe), Taco B, Carmine's, Dickie's, and a little J PePe's mixed in. Love the healthy options we have! I'm looking for food ideas when I use my lunch break to work out and don't have time for those tasty treats.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
I can't resist the rant!

You guys need to watch Food Inc. Watch the trailer. http://www.foodincmovie.com/ Like the movie says, food has changed more in the last 50 years than in the previous thousand. We eat worse than our parents, and we are getting sicker.

Chickens are bad, but so is everything else.
Cows are fed corn these days because its cheaper, easier, and faster than grass. Cows are supposed to eat grass. Corn makes cow sick. To combat the illness, cows are then fed antibiotics. That corn....is genetically modified. 99% of the food at your big grocery store is garbage. Vegitables are radiated and ripened with gases to give you produce year-around, juices are pasturized, killing their nutritional value, and everything has additives to make them last longer on the shelf, and look pretty.

I know....too much info. Just tell me you aren't drinking soy milk and eating soy foods.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-06-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Hippie!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-06-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
j-rod, you got a link about the soy stuff?

I have read about it before but all the studies that I have seen are funded by the Dairy industry...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Here's a quick one:
http://www.westonaprice.org/Soy-Alert/

Soy products are completely engineered. Well marketed, but bad stuff. In men, they can cause elevated estrogen levels.

Go here: http://www.westonaprice.org
Type "Soy" and hit search. Everything you want to know.

The hippies were on to something! Sorry for taking the focus off of the thread. I'll shut up now.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-06-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Here is some good response to the weston price stuff...

http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm

Just food for thought, no pun intended and I am not in either sides camp, but the weston stuff seems as though they have an agenda IMO.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-06-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Well, I guess it is time to raise my own cattle and chickens so I don't die!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-06-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Too lazy to read the entire thread.

I've been using my crock pot a ton lately. I pick out what I want to make the night before toss it in and hit high. The next morning you have what you need for the day.

Throw in whole red potatoes, some carrots, half an onion, and any lean meat you might be partial to for a pot roast.

Throw in a cornish game hen, some white beans, celery, a cup of water and ya got another great meal.

I just made split pea and potato soup the other day and it was awesome. I grilled up a couple skin less chicken breasts on the ole GF grill and it turned out great.

Stopping by the butcher tonight to pu'p some lean cured ham shanks. I'm gonna throw them in with navy beans, 1/2 red onion and some baby carrots.

I've finally found a way to make good food with little to no hassle, and it fricken tastes good.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
And what would their agenda be? They're a non-profit. They hold free monthly meetings for anyone, in many regions, to come learn about nutrition.

Eubanks, there are small markets, and places like Whole Foods where you can buy grass fed, free range meat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
Regarding the soy thing. You can beleive what you want. My stance is Natural, Whole Foods, anti engineered foods. Whatever makes more sense to you.....

Read the study about the pilot program in an Illinois prison where they are removing inmates beef and dairy products and replacing them with soy milk, cheese, and tofu. They're getting sick!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-06-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   

quote:

Well, I guess it is time to raise my own cattle and chickens so I don't die!

Apparently if you do that, and rid your life of all plastic, you could live forever!

All things in balance IMO. I believe I can eat healthy enough straight out of the plain old grocery store. I do usually buy organic milk, free range eggs, etc unless they are absurdly priced. If I just need milk and nothing else, I'm going to grab it at the 7-11. Going 100% organic/locavore/natural/grassfed/freerange/whatever seems expensive and a lot of hassle. I don't want to fret that much over my food.

On the microwaving plastics thing, the real questions to me are a) how much really leaches into your food? and b) does it cause cancer in those amounts? As an engineer, I would like to understand the testing procedures before I make major lifestyle changes. Many chemical tests will show if there are but a few atoms of something present, and lab tests don't often represent the real world. If you forcefed a mouse nothing but organic rice at 100X its normal food intake, yeah, it would probably develop some physiological issues.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-06-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
All things in balance IMO.

I agree with this 100%

Also agree on the plastics thing, however, my stance on that is that plastics have not been around very long and nukers even less. We don't have the data to begin to formulate anything quantitative, IMO it can;t be good for you, only bad or neutral so why take the chance.

On the soy note, people have been eating soy for thousands of years.

What constitutes an Engineered food? Are you talking genetically engineered?

Read the study about the pilot program in an Illinois prison where they are removing inmates beef and dairy products and replacing them with soy milk, cheese, and tofu. They're getting sick!

Moderation is the key to life. I don;t doubt those ailments when they are eating soy everything. If you ate nothing but collard greens for 4 years you would get sick too.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-06-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
And what would their agenda be? They're a non-profit. They hold free monthly meetings for anyone, in many regions, to come learn about nutrition.

non profit means nothing, nor does holding free monthly meetings. If the rebuttal artical that I easily found is in fact true, anyone who mis-represents the studies in the manner they have has to have an agenda.

I am with you on the whole foods, natural foods et al. Hell, my wife just walked in the door from Earth Fare. I am just looking at the data on that site and it seems a bit overboard. Calling soy based infant formula "Baby birth control"? Kinda smells like the PETA of the nutrition world.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-06-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
mmmmmm... collard greens.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-06-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
I just had a dozen party burritos from Bueno. Pretty sure I'm gonna need an episiotomy.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-06-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Jason, if you ever needed an episiotomy, you have way bigger issues than your burrito habit...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-06-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
I had J. PePe's today and it was pure greatness. Substitued that for my work out.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-06-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
Ugh, it's not funny if you have to explain it, but I was saying I would need to be cut to pass this.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-06-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
hahaha jason. the dozen post was classic
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-07-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
LOL, I know what you were saying Jason, I was just cracking on your for needing to have your vagina cut to pass it at all...
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-07-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
Brown Rice
Tuna
Ketchup w/ non-fat Ranch dressing
Apple

Done.

Mix it up with chicken breast and some veggies and life is good.
Get ready to be bored but I don't mind eating the same thing day in and out. If given the option, I'd eat chicken stir fry the rest of my life!
The whole issue of plastic containers is concerning. Then again, so is eating fish 4 days a week but I love it!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-07-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Ketchup w/ non-fat Ranch dressing
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-07-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
Tuna w/ ketchup}
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-07-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Sounds gross doesn't it? Maybe I'm just twisted!
Yummm...can't wait for lunch.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-07-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
Ok, need to go grocery shopping. It's off to the gym and then a Subway turkey sandwich or tuna from Quizno's. Maybe I'll spring for the Baked Lay's instead of the Cheese Doritos!
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-07-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Go Mexican. That's what I did. Every time I call in "10 or 15 minute for your order".
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-07-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I eat some turkey breast most days with a few whole wheat crackers or some lite bread that my wife picks up. Their like tiny buns. When I use those, I put a tiny bit of lite mayo and some spring mix lettuce/spinach on it too. A stick of l.f. cheese for my dairy. Some days I eat some red or orange bell pepper strips. They're like candy if you are avoiding sweets. Mix that up from day to day and grill some chicken breasts over the weekend to use here and there and you've got some choices so it is not so boring. I also snack on cherry tomatoes, carrots or apples.

I also sometimes eat protein bars or maybe a lean quizine Panini I can throw in the microwave for something a little different.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-07-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
Brandon, I love mexican food. It's actually, depending on what you get, a pretty good mix of fats, proteins and carbs.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-07-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Now this is my kind of health food:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/41903/top-weight-loss-foods-for-2010/
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-07-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Small tuna on wheat from Quizno's right now with some Baked Lay's. Isn't tuna good for you?!
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-07-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
lol. not from quizno's...might as well gotta a double cheesburger from Mcdonalds.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-07-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
Eating alot of tuna accelerates mail pattern baldness. I used to eat a can of tuna a day. Great source of protein. After a couple of years of doing that, my once thick hair began seriously thinning. Once I heard that tuna contributes to hair loss, I stopped eating all that tuna and my hair got thicker. No joke.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-07-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Sam - I hope you're kidding!

Jason - My hair went before I started eating tuna. I sure wish it would come back though.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-07-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
Eubanks - There are almost twice as many calories in a small tuna sandwich from Quiznos as a double cheeseburger from McDonalds. No joke.

I want to know what subway "meat" is actually made of. Their turkey is unlike any other turkey I've ever seen. YUCK.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-08-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
Elizabeth is right, the tuna from almost anywhere (if in a sandwich ) is terrible for you...it's loaded with high fat/calorie real mayo. the tuna sandwich from quiznos and subway is probably one of the worst choices they offer.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-08-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Hmm. Time to go back to turkey I guess. More calories or not I refuse to believe a small tuna from Quizno's is worse for you than a cheeseburger from McDonald's.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-08-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
I just serached.

MCd's double cheesburger 440 calories, 11 grams sat fat.

Quizno's tuna melt ( small ) 750 calories , 10.5 grams sat fat.

funny, but quiznos doesn't list total fat on their website??

Pretty shocking IMO.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-08-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Told you. You under estimate the power of mayo.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-08-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
and the tuna melt is the worst item on the quizno's menu ( calories/fat)

While on the subject of fast food for lunch. I still think chick fil a offers the best taste for nutrion bang...a regular chicken sandwich has only 3.5 g sat fat, on a wheat bun, and roughly 400 calories but a whoping 31 g protien.

(Message edited by wake1823 on January 08, 2010)
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-08-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Quizno's is bad business for diets. My wife has a weight watchers book and it is the worst fast food joint going.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-08-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
Interesting stats. All I know is that if I have a Quizno's sub and chips after I work out I don't feel like vomitiing like I would if having a McDonald's burger and fries right after working out.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
This will probably make you feel better. I ate my sandwich and 4 oz of soup all week for lunch, but the weather today made me want something hot & hearty so I ordered Chili's takeout. Went to their website to see what I just consumed, I'm a little embarassed:

lunch
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-08-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
Haha! At least you're honest. I actually ate decent today...grilled chicken with red potatoes. Tonight is date night with the wife so I'm sure I'll pig out though.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-08-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
It's big, it's ugly, it's a pain to store, it's AWESOME! I love this thing. I bought if off craigslist for $100 and have been slicing my own meats ever since. Buy a nice big roast and make roast beef cheap! I bought ham on sale and sliced enough for all 12 people in the family for lunch all for $8. This would usually cost us more like $25.

Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
For $100 you didn't buy that, you stole it.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-08-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
Dang! That thing wouldn't even fit in my kitchen. Don't you have to clean it each time?
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-08-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Yes, I have to clean it each time. Tons of restaurants are going out of business and craiglist is filled with them.

The best part is that easily saws through bone! I get what seems like twice the amount of meat from the ham. It's also been awesome for slicing deer and elk meat! I have never had "deli style" elk or deer, but it's awesome
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-11-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Sooo....

All these hijacks and I still haven't gotten any answers to my "how to prepare" question! So how would you guys prepare the chicken breast if I wanted to make 3-4 on Sunday for lunches for the week? Are they going to be ok nuked a few days later and how long will they stay good in the fridge after I cook them? Thank you all.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-11-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Eubanks....My friend for chicken breasts is the George Foreman grill. I can prepare a good-sized, FROZEN chicken breast in about 12 mins. Non-frozen about 6 to 8 mins. I only use the Foreman for chicken, but it works for other meats as well. I usually prepare two breasts, eat one immediately and save the other one for reheating the next day. Chicken is good for 4 to 5 days in the fridge, provided the chicken is not left out very long after cooking. Brown rice is better for you than pasta and Uncle Ben's makes rice that is in microwavable bags that are ready in about 90 secs. Fish is another alternative to chicken and I generally by the frozen fillets at the store. You can thaw these out by placing in lukewarm water for about 5 mins and then bake in the oven.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-11-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
That's awesome Jeremy. Thanks for sharing. We do a bunch of fish at home for dinner so I like the chicken breast option for lunches at work. I had a Foreman in college but not since! I might try to bake a few with some light rub and see how that goes. I did buy some of those Uncle Ben rice bags. Those should make it quick and easy. Thanks a lot for your reply.