Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-13-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
My wife is determined to clear the wake this season, and I would love to see it. She has plenty of speed and control, but she is missing the pop to get to the other side. She totally absorbs the wake, and she knows it, but has not been able to correct it.
Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what is the fix?

Thanks a lot.
Old     (leens)      Join Date: May 2007       06-13-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
I am exactly the same way! I am determined to also but lack the pop to execute the jump. I have been trying to jump from the inside of the wake to the outside, heel side and that has helped me get the feel of how it would be to jump. plus, it hurts less to fall going from the inside out. Let me know if it helps
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-13-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
Maybe she doesnt understand what she needs to do to jump. I was like that, I thought I needed to 'jump' at the wake, until one day someone said "just straighten out your legs!" and voila! i jumped! Jumping inside out is a very good exercise. Also get her to jump without cutting too much, with very little speed for a very high one wake jump.
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-13-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for your responses. She is actually an animal when it comes to jumping inside out. When she jumps, she edges in very hard, lets up at the wake, absorbs, lands about half way across, edges hard towards the opposite wake, and jumps inside out. She is very competitive, and this is killing her. I think it's mental. Also, she is an ex-snow skiier (snowboarder now), so I thought it might be coming from skiing moguls. Not sure.

I'll see if she can straighten her legs.
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-13-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
I've only been riding for one season so I'm definitely not an expert. That being said, how fast are you pulling her? I learned my w2w being pulled at around 18 or 19mph during lessons. Once I learned how, I was able to clear a much bigger wake at a faster speed. My instructor said that it's much easier to get the timing down at a slower speed. Maybe try slowing it down a bit until she learns to pop off the wake. Just a suggestion -- hope it helps.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
Video always helps me since I'm a visual learner. Two other things to consider - 1) I explain to others that you should use the 'getting out of a chair' muscles and that the motion is the same. 2)be aware that she doesn't squat too deep coming IN to the wake. I have a buddy who was getting his butt down to his calves - then he had that much farther to go to stand up. We coached him to go at the MOST down to 90 degrees so that straightening from there was a much shorter movement.

Be patient...good luck!
Old     (melty_1)      Join Date: May 2005       06-13-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
Sounds familar. I had that problem for a long time (and sometimes still do). My mind said to pop but my muscle-memory would cause me to suck it up. Only way I was able to break the habit, was to start only about 5 feet from the wake and come into it completely stiff-legged the whole way. Sounds weird, and won't get her across the wake, but it should get her body trained to the feeling of popping. Then, keep moving out further and return to doing the regular approach (edging, standing tall, not flattening out, etc). I also agree with slowing things down. I know I have the tendency to absorb the wake if I have too much speed.

(Message edited by melty_1 on June 13, 2007)
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Thanks a lot everyone. We've been pulling at 19-20, thinking she just needed more speed. We'll slow her down, and have her not squat so much. She is a squater, but she doesn't go that deep. Anyway, we're trying to go out this weekend, so I'll let you know.

Thanks again!!!
Old     (kickasskel)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
I am also familiar with what she is going through. After several seasons, I noticed that for me, it helped to actually edge a little less. I think when I digged my edge hard, I didn't have control of the board as much and I ended up absorbing a lot of the wake. I tried going out about 5-7 feet maybe, and edged a little less than I thought I needed. With a little practice, I noticed it wasn't really about jumping, but about using the wake. I think it also helped because I wasn't working at it as much, so it was easier for me to straighten my legs at the top of the wake. Once I got used to the feeling, I would start a little farther out, and dig my edge in a little more, but when I feel myself losing control of my wake to wakes, I would always come back to smaller cut outs and smaller edging.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-17-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
i'm still trying to go w2w (i get the tip of my board on the opposite wake a lot, but don't go over). a friend who is helping me said to cut out on my normal heelside and cut hard, then come back in ts but don't go over the wake. he said to keep trying that over and over to get the feel of getting a progress edge, THEN take that technique to the opposite side and come into the wake. i'm gunna try it if the stupid water would ever get calm! i'll let you know how it goes, because i do the exact same thing as your wife. i also love to ski bumps, but i don't think that has anything to do with it. i think it's because, well, i'm a chicken and i've face planted too many times to wanna do it again! good luck to your wife!
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2007, 5:04 AM Reply   
Cut out wide, bend those knees, don't get on edge right away, let the the boat do the work. After you have drifted in at least 1/3 of the way start a progressive edge and don't let off, as you hit the wake your board should be on EDGE, stand tall and pop up, pulling the handle towards your hips. Don't try and grab until you have this down with both hands. Practice this both HS and TS. As soon as you have this dialed, then grab away. Most beginners crank down an edge right after the turn and then flatten out, loosing all of their pop.
Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Well what I would say would work best is starting by shorting the rope to 60-65ft. so the distance is not as far between wakes and she gets used to the feeling of coming down the otherside of the wake and or landing there (not casing the second wake all the time that will wear her out!!) ...if she edges right and stands tall right at the start of the wake and pushed the handle down she will easily clear both wakes....then when she gets used to that feeling she can speed the boat up to 20-24mph and start making the rope length longer, which will make the wake wider and you will have more hangtime in the air......for whatever new tricks you want!! T.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
Id say do what Tobin said.. but shorten the rope a lot more... about 50 ft and have her not cut out as wide... just about 6-7 ft out and then edge in and she will go w2w every time... once she gets the hang of it, lenghten a bit more. The good thing is that you can go slower so that its not as scary and she has time to do all the things
Old     (salserachinita)      Join Date: May 2006       06-22-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
i have this same problem. i can clear the wake once in a while but not consistently. i get a lot more pop when i'm not cutting out as wide, but when i try to add more speed and cut out further, i start to absorb the wake again. i don't have the timing down.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-22-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
I had the same problem. Straighten your legs when you hit the wake, and keep your elbows in at the waist. I sometimes think I am straighten my legs but I am actually keeping them stiff. so think about straighting them, and you will probably feel it and pop. and push the handle down at the same time. How is she doing now? This was an old post
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-25-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Video definitely helps. I found that I *thought* was standing tall (because it sure felt like I was extending), but I really wasn't. Tell her to really exaggerate standing tall. Even if she thinks she is, tell her to really really do it! Almost like stomping the wake. It's an amazing feeling when you finally do get it!
Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
Well I have worked with many begginers on this and have found that it is alot like everyone here is saying.....you want to first get real good at popping of and or good ollie of one wake jumps....staying on edge all the way up the wake ....standing tall up the wake to harness the pop and keep the handle down.....then once you have got that down start out with a shorter length rope.....but not too short to where the wake is white washed or not good for pop....it depends alot on your boats wake and weight you have.....maybe like 65ft or so......start be seeing if you can come close to clearing wake to wake by only cutting 5 or 6 ft. outside the wake then turning back in to hit your jump......then if your technique is good you are edging right and poping right you can see where you are landing and see if you need to edge harder and or speed up the boat a bit to clear both wakes.....usually it is combo of both needed.....make sure you are not flattening out right at the wake and gliding across ...this will give you less tension on the rope and less pop and distance / Speed should start at around 18-20mph with one wake jumps then 22-24 with wake to wake jumps...........I hope this will help......hopefully you are getting some good water to ride on as well that helps too.... T.
***Watching Higher Learning DVD helps alot too...great for Learning all tricks and basics****