Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Does anybody know what is used to make my wooden teak deck/swim platform to look like this?
Attached Images

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-26-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
Rhino liner or linex
Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Definitely a spray on bedliner material. Mine is rhino lined and looks just like that. Its a little rough on your skin especially your knees climbing into the boat. If i had to do it over again i dont think i would.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
don't
Old     (robert)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-27-2010, 4:40 AM Reply   
Why would you want to . Wood is so classic and easy to maintain. Took off my stock swim platform and put on a teak one, on our 2010 230 super air.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
Thats a cool look but I agree if its coated with something its gonna rough.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-27-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
I just had mine LineXed with no grit. Then put a pad on top. It's tough as nails & requires no sanding & oiling. And it's padded, yet not slick.
I did it because I hate sanding & oiling the teak twice a year & it looks like crap 2 weeks later.

The pad is Gator Grip. Good luck getting any more of it though. SeaDeck or Hydroturf might do the job too.

Then I made a cover for it.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 03-27-2010 at 9:17 PM.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-28-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
Why?? i would rather have a teak deck.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-28-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
" It's tough as nails & requires no sanding & oiling. And it's padded, yet not slick.
I did it because I hate sanding & oiling the teak twice a year & it looks like crap 2 weeks later. "

The teak was scarred up & bleached white in the sun. If I kept it in the garage all the time like some of you, then it might have looked better for longer. It's not a "classic boat", we're not riding anything classic & I don't feel the need to have fine wood furniture on it.

Heres a before picture. And this is when it looked good.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 03-28-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-28-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
I am so with you on this one Bill. I hate my teak platform it is WAY to much work to keep it looking good. I ran out of boat money this year (had my whole interior redone)so I will have to wait till next winter to do this project. But I am so over the teak!! I agree just the coating without the pad would be rough but with the pad I think it looks awesome.

It takes a whole day to get it looking good and it dont last a month maybe 2 at most. No matter what I use on it. I am over it!!

Last edited by kko13; 03-28-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Thanks guys.

I have decided the cons outweigh the pros on getting rid of the teak deck. Gonna leave it and just try to get it looking a little better.

KKO- what did you use on that deck? Looks really good in second picture, If it takes all day to have it look that good for only two months, I think it's worth it?
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-29-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
IMO, teak decks go from looking great to crap in one long day of use. I used to be 100% pro teak, but after years of maintenance I to am over it! I have started looking for a fiberglass deck for my 04 SAN.

-Uj
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
2nd that UJ it takes but one day to have them looking bad again which is as frustrating as hell. I have been kicking around the Line X thing for a while now but have yet to pull the trigger as there is no turning back. I like Bills its what I was planning on doing if I went that route. Bill, is Gator grip no more?
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-29-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Get it Line X'd. I did it on my old boat and couldn't be happier. The teak is beautiful but it's a pain to maintain. The Line X was done a few years ago on the old boat and it still looks new. It now rests on an uncovered lift on a local lake and still looks like new. Plus the boards can't hurt it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Yea, the LineX is the best. My local guy had a swimstep on a Moomba that is 4 yrs old.... still looks great. The trick is to tell them to do it with no texture in it. Turns out smooth, with a bit of an orange peel to it, and still every bit as tough. He said if you tried to peel it off, you'd find that the LineX actually impregnates down into the wood, like grass roots or something. And now days they can color match the LineX with a wide variety of other colors.

I really drug my feet on this. It took me over a year to come to terms with destroying the beautiful teak. Mid summer last year I pulled the boat out of the lake for a week while we went on vacation with a friend's boat. The boat dried out for a week, then I sanded, steel wooled & re-oiled the teak for like the 4th time since I bought the boat 3 yrs ago. It was slicker than snot for a week, then looked great for a month or so, then started looking just about how it did when I started. Makes me wonder why I waste my time. Well, NO MORE.

My contact with Gator Grip basically told me he's not dealing it any more, he's left the company & to stop calling him. I believe the SkySki & I have been their biggest seller over the last 12 or 13 yrs. We've literally bought pallets of the stuff to make seat pads for our foils, and swim step pads. So I assume that it's over, except for whatever we have left (which ain't much). We are sourcing a new material now & will let everyone know after we've found the right one.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
Is it this guy http://www.wakejunky.com/ its where I got mine.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-29-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
My Buddy Chris sells gator Grip by the sheet. I will get him to post here.

-Uj
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-29-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
Bill and others.. I Just spoke to Chris. He is traveling right now and cannot post. His email is cfoye@yahoo.com. He just received a new shipment of Black, White, Gray and one other color I think, so hit him up.

-Uj
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-29-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
How do you know the LineX is going to get in between the wood beams? Also, if it flexes, won't the LineX delaminate from the wood? If there isn't a 100% water seal, that deck will go to mush in no time.

-Uj
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-29-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
What was the cost of line x?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Yea, Chris is the guy who copied everything we did with the GG.... after I sold him a sheet of it at Boardstock. He may have found another source now. I would never do business with him. I might get ripped off again.

LineX cost me about $80.

It's hard to take a picture of the penetration of the LineX. But like I said before, I've seen one swimstep that was 4 years old & saw no reason it might be having problems of any kind. Right now it will take a direct hit with the foil on the edges & leave little or no mark at all. Time will tell.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 03-29-2010 at 5:40 PM.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
Gator Grip is alive and well from my perspective. I've acquired the manufacturer source and just recieved my shipment. I'm now carrying 4 colors - grey/white, black, blue/white, and white

get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
White Gator Grip??

Be careful with this guy. He'll get you too.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-29-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
Chris is a stand up guy. Anyone who knows him personally will say the same.

-Uj
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Yea, never done business with him after that little fiasco.

One of us has given to this community in many ways. As an event judge, sponsor, driver & competitor. Gives to the WW community since JJ owned it years ago, not to mention other online communities including TheMalibuCrew, the original TMC site, the old Wakelist site & a variety of hydrofoil sites.

The other is more than willing to take your money, your ideas, spoof your name, and give back what? He's "a stand up guy".

More power to ya.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
You sure you're talkin about the person. I was buying from somebody local in Sac and basically got the same treatment as you and decided to move forward with my own investment and time because of it. I've been doing this for over 7 years now and can contest to a number of satisfied customers. If you really feel that I'm out to screw over people, I think you're wrong this community is too small to even think about it.
And yes I do have white. I'd be happy to send you some just to prove it
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 9:05 PM Reply   
Chris. Your lieing thru your teeth. I showed you this product & pictures of what we were doing with it on the WakeList house boat at Boardstock on Shasta years ago.
I'm sure you have tons of happy customers. We've been doing it since 1995 & there are pictures & testimonies galore in a variety of sites. YOU were one of our customers after the Boardstock trip. As I recall you were talking about using it for wake skates (before wake skates were really available). You liked it so much that not only did you find our source, and copy the product, you actually named your company after us.

Whatever. We talked with Nick. Sounds like he & Christine have broken up. He was our source & is no longer part of the company. It wouldn't surprise me if you his wife was your source. I certainly have no proof of that. It just fits.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 03-29-2010 at 9:12 PM.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-29-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
Holy crap Bill.... accusing someone like you just did is pure SLANDER... Way to bring WW to an all time low.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
Sometime the truth hurts. We would have loved to have some kind of patent on it. But there is so much prior art it's unreal.
Oh well, enjoy it while ya got it.
Just be careful if your going to share ideas. Even with people that appear to be friends.