Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-24-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
So we are riding yesterday, when all of a sudden, a pronounced vibration start up. We didn't hit anything, figure that we might have a rope wrapped up. Get home, check it out, and the prop is loose on the shaft. I'm thinking that's weird, event if the nut backs off, the prop is pretty much on there until you get the puller out. Then I check it out, the trailing edge of the prop is bent back out toward the end on all the blades, one really pronounced, the others slight to moderate. No marks ot nicks on the prop at all, otherwise perfect. Have never had this happen before, has anyone else? Did I just wear it out after pushing a lot of weight over the past 3 years?
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
"What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your Back?
It's Log, Log, Log!

It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
Everyone wants a log! You're gonna love it, Log!
Come on and get your log! Everyone needs a Log!"

Ok.. Had to throw the Log song in...

I don't mean to be an A$$. It sounds like an impact with a blunt object. I really would have a hard time believing a prop would wear out.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2006, 11:43 PM Reply   
While I do love the log song I must say, Jeff puts a lot of weight in his SAN. By far the best one I've ever ridden. Just go to a boat shop and have them pound it out on an anvil, no prob, plus if you want a new prop you've got a legit spare.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
Already put the spare on, Hill Propellers has been taking care of me for years.

If I hit a log (or anything else for that matter), shouldn't there at least be a scuff mark on the prop? There is no physical indication of contact anywhere on the prop.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-25-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Sounds like contact with sand or mud to me. Props do not "wear out" but they do experience (in some cases) corrosion, burns from ventilation and cavitation, and the bore opening up from long term vibration against the shaft. If you have an old technology smooth finish prop, you are a canididate for a new CNC machined prop. There is a difference in performance - not huge, but it is there and in most cases, you can feel it.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
It was an ACME 644 - Again, I would expect at least some kind of scuff or mark on the prop if it had made contact with anything. Nothing, no burns, corrosion, prop is perfect otherwise. Guess that the Hill guys will let me know when I take it in. I know the drag boat guys can bend a prop on take off, just from the HP & torque those guys run.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-25-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
Tackleberry, I know the obvious arguments against stainless steel props, but if your concerned about "wear" why not go with stainless?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-25-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
Like others have said, I have never seen a prop wear out. What I have seen is a prop hit something soft and get really messed up without any "scuff" marks. Could have been soft mud, or perhaps even a good wrap of weeds.

What I don't understand is that you said it was the trailing edge of the prop that was bent. Usually it is the leading edge of the prop that sustains damage, unless you happened to hit something in reverse.

Are you sure you didn't back into a shallow spot?
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       04-25-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
I have had that happen before. I was coming back to the dock at Lake Orovile. We were loaded down with camping equipment and heading back to the dock after an awesome weekend on the floating campsites. I had hit some debris in the water but did not feel it or hear it. Vibration started up instantly and that was it. I pulled it out and a blade on the prop was bent.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
The vibration hit while we were pulling a rider (forward @ 25mph). No weeds/mud where we ride, just big rocks. We hit nothing, the boat just started vibrating. Leading edge is perfect, top part of the trailing edge is bent back, a little to moderate. No marks at all.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
I'll take a picture & post it this evening.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
When was the last time you had your engine/tranny aligned?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
A year ago. Checked the prop shaft last night, within tolerance.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
I know that the bends in the prop would be a main contributor to vibration, but if any contact was made with an obstruction you might consider having your drivetrain aligned. The slightest misalignment can cause vibration.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Gotcha. Just checkin. Gotta eliminate all possibilities
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
As promised, pics:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
The fresh replacement:
Upload
Views of the trailing edge of the prop in question:
Upload
Upload
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-25-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
ok ... I give up.

That's the damn-dest thing. I see what you mean now.

How much weight do you run, and how much HP?

I can't imagine a prop bending under load. I'd expect the water to boil infront of the prop before it bent.

(Message edited by yosquire on April 25, 2006)