Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (squirrelfamilyinmalibu)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-21-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
I've been trying to pull off a backroll all summer. I've attached my best attempt so far. Please feel free to let me know what you think.

http://www.dropshots.com/Rawjam0025
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-21-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
Im no coach, but it looks to me that you might be and taking off a little back foot heavy so try to weight your feet more evenly.

Oh, and keep the handle close to your body when you land, you are letting it way out. Other than that, looks like you are super close.

(Message edited by parkgirl on November 21, 2007)
Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-21-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
looks good. maybe try to hold on w/ both hands throughout this trick. when i was learning this trick i had to remember as i was edging towards the wake to hold on w/ my back hand til i landed. thats when i started landing them.

hope this helps
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-21-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
I think you should invite me to come down and ride with you @ Vail...

Seriously, looking pretty darn good (body position, edge, pop, rotation). Have to agree with Andrea and Brad, one thing I try to think about when I'm setting up (before I start to edge), is to rip that handle to my lead hip, holding only an inch or two away from my waist, right hand in front of bellybutton, left closer to the left hip. Then it's all a matter of holding it strong there.
Old     (squirrelfamilyinmalibu)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-21-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Seems like when I hold on with my back hand I always roll to revert. TackleBerry....I sent you an email and invited you to go out Sat morning....let me know.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-21-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
Hot Dog!!!! Will check email when I get home, looking forward to Sat!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-21-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
just be ready to land, it looks like you do everything perfectly just aren't ready to land... just extend your legs and expect to land, you'll ride away no prob.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-21-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Rawlin thats what happened to me when I tried to hold with 2 hands. I learned it just holding on with one hand, releasing my back hand from the handle just about when I get completely inverted. Makes hard landings in the flats more difficult to stick, but prevented me from goofing up the rotation.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-23-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
From what I can see you are letting off your edge and hucking it. You need to edge standing tall all the way through the top of the wake, with your hardest edge at the top of the wake. As you are edging through the top of the wake you need to look up over your front shoulder. By standing tall ,edging all the way through the wake,looking up over your front shoulder and holding on with TWO hands, the flip will do itself and all you have to do is hang on and spot your landing.

Just my .02, good luck.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-23-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
^^^^ What he said. Notice how you put your hand up above your head? Don't do that, keep em down by your hips and pop up and around the handle. If done correctly you will never let go and land evenly with both hands on the handle.

Here's a pic of what I mean.
Upload
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-23-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Rawlin,
I agree with what everyone is saying above. 1) Keep even pressure on both feet as ou edge towards the wake 2) Handle low & in and 3) stand tall at the top of the wake.

I will just add that maybe it will help if you think about riding the board up the full shape of the wake because it looks to me that you slam into the wake and then try to throw the backroll which will minimize your pop and make you quick flip your roll. This will help you land ON the board and not skim out on the landings.

Hope this helps.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-23-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
RD - Got your email, sent one back to you. Hoping we're still on for tomorrow morning. Just let me know when/where to meet details. Had a chance to ride at Elsinore this morning, really nice out, had a great time.