Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-14-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
I want to buy a wakeboard boat by next summer but in order to do that, I need to get something to pull it. i don't think my VR6 golf is going to hold up on the towing . So I'm leaning towards the Dodge Dakota R/T (V8 5.9L). Quite the powerful truck and I like the smaller ones, so I didn't want to go to a full size pickup if i didn't have to. Anybody towing with this truck or know of it's capabilities? Just want to know if it'll do the job or not.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
My father-in-law had that truck, (he got in an accident) that thing had a ton of power for such a little truck. It was super fast off the line and if I remember correctly I think he towed a Mastercraft Maristar 225VRS with it. Check the towing capacity of the vehicle and what the hitch is rated for and that should be the info you need.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-14-2005, 10:25 PM Reply   
Bigger is always best. I always owned 1/2 ton trucks, then I bought a 1 ton. Now I'll never own anything smaller than 3/4 ton. Sure you can pull a boat with a lot of things, but always easier to do it with a little more girth.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-15-2005, 12:06 AM Reply   
I am buying a candy apple red 3/4 ton Chevy Z71 with a 6 inch lift deep dish wheels with 35 inch tires. The thing is bad to the bone. Unfortunetly my boat is Orange and would not match
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-15-2005, 2:10 AM Reply   
Chevy 3/4 Ton - Nuff Said.

You can wakeboard behind a Boston Whaler I/O, but why? Don't cut yourself short, get a real truck.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2005, 4:20 AM Reply   
Chevy Avalanche is Perfect.You can lock all your gear in the bed.Open the bed up.Sleep in the truck.Its just like the commercial and it rides fantastic.

(Message edited by fumanchoo on July 15, 2005)
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-15-2005, 5:12 AM Reply   
Anybody else have any info on the Dakota R/T?
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-15-2005, 5:13 AM Reply   
Or at least to pull an average wakeboard boat, how much is usually needed in a truck? 1/2 ton? 3/4 ton?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-15-2005, 5:20 AM Reply   
If you are towing more than just in town I would go with something bigger like a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. I have used a Durango with the 5.9L and it doesn't seam to have to power that my GM trucks have had with the 5.3L or 6.0L
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-15-2005, 6:12 AM Reply   
I had an older dakota with a 318. Did fine. Make sure of a factory towing package and rearend ratio. You will need mirror extensions due to the narrow beam of the truck.
Old    spinsir            07-15-2005, 6:59 AM Reply   
get a Tundra...twin overhead cams!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-15-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
Go to a launch on a busy weekend and watch people launch using diffrent vehicles. After sometime, you'll notice the guys with heaver trucks have a much easier time. I have had six diffrent trucks that I used to launch, so I speak with a little experience. Go big, once your on a wet lauch ramp or pull for over 30 minutes on a freeway, you'll be glad you did.
The dakota has the engine power to haul a ski boat, but lacks in size (wheelbase and length). The extra wheelbase will make it a lot more stable when travelling, while girth will make it easier to find traction on steep or wet launch ramps. I have seen Dakotas and Durangos in the water on ramps, while I have never seen 1 ton dually get pulled into the water.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
1/2 tons do okay. If you tow alot and you can afford it, get yourself a 3/4 Diesel. The truck will last longer (especially the trani) and you will get way better gas mileage. My friend has a F250 Diesel with a Banks performance kit and the power is unbelievable.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-15-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
Also most of the time you can find used 3/4 and 1 tons cheaper than 1/2 tons. Even in SUVs. I bought my Excursion for a few thousand less then an equally equiped Expedtion. Easy choice, V10 and 3/4 ton VS V8 and a half ton?
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
Bigger is better when towing. It's boat vs truck. My F250 crew cab weighs 6300 lbs so my boat doesn't push it around like a smaller 1/2 ton. Not that 1/2 tons don't do a good job of pulling, they do, but if you are ever in a hairy situation and you need to avoid an accident or something you want the truck to win. You don't want your boat to push your truck around when you are in that sort of situation, you want the truck to be the boss and the boat to follow. I have seen dodge duragnos pulling 27 ft searays the big boats with triple axle tailers and I can't help but wonder what would you do in a hairy situation, that big boat is going where it wants to and the durango is going there as well, like it or not. My 2 cents
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-15-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
Loving the feedback guys! Thanks! The place where I guess i'm stuck is that I want something that will be good economically when not towing as well and want somethign that can still look good. Do'nt want to be picking up girls in a massive diesel pickup, unless anybody has any insight into that too :-p. But ya...i'm not rollin' in the dough so trying to find the perfect median.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
Economically the diesel is your best bet. The 5.9 R/T will be a gas hog towing a boat. As far as picking up chicks go, look for a diesel excursion and you'll be able to fit like 15 chicks in it.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-15-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
The 5.9 RT will be a gas hog no matter what. More than the size of the motor, I don't think I would ever tow with anything other than a 4x4. I have seen a lot of people get stuck on a ramp and need help getting out. Either the ramp is slick with algae or seaweed, or a gravel ramp. I towed my Nautique from Raleigh NC to Cincinnati through the mountains with a v6 blazer. Downhills were a little sketchy, and I only got about 12mpg, but it will do it. It's just not a great idea. I now use a LR discovery and it has all the grunt you'll need, weighs as much as some 3/4 ton trucks, is stylish and comfortable. Some of what you are looking for depends on the boat you plan to get. 23 foot V-drive is something different than a 20 foot DD boat.

Eric
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
I bought my truck knowing a couple of things. 1. it is a big heavy truck and its gonna get crappy mileage. 2. I have a car, so the truck sits and gets used to pull the boat, go to home depot, and go up to tahoe in the winter. My advise is, if you can swing it, buy a good used truck for towing. Even if it has higher miles on it, you won't be putting that many more on it. I have put just over 10k miles on mine in 18 months.

Don't be afraid to look around and get what you want. I flew 750 miles and picked mine up and drove it home.

I would have loved to have had a diesel, but I don't drive it enough to justify the extra cost, so I bought gas plus I found a great deal.

I read somewhere where it takes about 90,000 miles for a diesel to make up in fuel savings for the difference in purchase price. If you tow all the time, for work as well as play, then you probably should go with a diesel. Like I said, I would liked to have had one but just couldn't justify the extra cost.

I bought a '97 F250 crew cab 4x4 with 78K miles on it for $13k and it was in immaculate condition. Yeah it gets about 7 mpg towing and about 10 not towing, that 7.5L big block sucks it down, but I don't drive it all the time.

Hell, I saw a mid 90s F350 crew cab 4x4 owned by the federal govt go on the auction block a couple of months ago and I think i went for about 8 grand and it had 46K miles on it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-15-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
I noyiced the biggest thing is the weight issue.My old ski centurion when I pulled it with my 1\2 ton GMC no problem but I would pull it with my g\f pathfinder and when I turn on the freeway especially downhill...watchout it's pulling me all around and it seems like it's just gonna fishtail or something.

BIGGER,BADDER...WROOM,WROOM!!
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-15-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
Go with the diesel all the way, you will never even feel the boat back there. I have a F350 diesel short bed and an Excursion with the diesel and they both tow and ride excellent.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-15-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
I had a small f150 (short cab and box) with a small 4.6 V8. I bought the 4.6 with the idea that I'd get better gas mileage. I got about 3 MPG (if that)better than my V10 excursion. Diesel is the ticket if you got the bucks. My v10 Excursion cost about 15K less than the powerstroke. You can find really nice loaded excursions for 15 to 20K all day. You'd get about 14 MPG with a V10 or 5.8 V8, and 12 to 13 towing a vdrive boat.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
All I have to say is "FORD POWERSTROKE"!!!!!!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
"You'd get about 14 MPG with a V10 or 5.8 V8, and 12 to 13 towing a vdrive boat."

Going down hill maybe!
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
V-10?!I would say 9mpg pulling a 4000lbs boat. I get about 14.5 pulling my boat with a 2001 F-250 crewcab diesel with a 4" lift and 35" tall tires. Diesel is the bomb. I have the 7.3 liter with the banks stinger plus kit. But the new 6.0 liter powerstroke is even better. That thing is like a go cart.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
chevy and gmc own all. go with a 3/4ton if your man enough. 1/2ton will be fine, but bigger=better. trust me, i've never ever been wrong. not once.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
haha, I just saw "ford powerstroke!!" whata joke. the duramax is such a better engine, hands down, even to the cummins (dodge). not even close.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
what makes it better?

I heard from a mechanic that works on both -that the powerstroke is much stronger off the showroom floor, but that the Duramax can be modified to exceed the powerstroke performance.

I actually know a guy that owned all three (powerstroke, duramax, and cummings) He said the Ford outperformed the others.

Show the facts Tie.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
I wouldn't even give the v10 9mpg towing.
Old    mtnrider            07-15-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
Dude: are you kiddin, chicks dig trucks, big trucks, at least here.

If you can afford a diesel jump on it. Wish I would have had the foresight to get the F250 (powerstroke) when I bought the F150 (Triton).

The chevy is a great choice too. The Allison tranny kicks.

Just my .02
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
I have a 04 powerstroke, my buddy has a 04 duramax. We both got our trucks brand new, he got his about 3 weeks before I got mine. His truck has been in the shop like 3 time. Every time we are in my truck he says "F#@$, I should have got the ford" thats from the mouth of a chevy owner. The 6.0 has more power than the duramax. He has a 4" lift with 33" tires, I got a 6.5" lift w/36, The ford still pulls better and is fast. so I will say it for u again Tie, "FORD POWERSTROKE"

(Message edited by bigpapaf1f on July 15, 2005)
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-15-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
I got 13.7 with a v10 excursion today, Disco bay to Modesto and back, w/out boat. Got 12.2 a few weeks ago towing my boat to Sacramento and back. That's nursing the throttle, staying between 55 and 60. If you feed the beast, it will eat. 70 towing, drops it down into the 9s, or 11s without the boat.

The chevy chassis is nice also, I have the 8.1 and allison in my motorhome, and it is awesome. Tons of power and a silky smooth tranny. Once again, if you keep the speed down mileage is OK, but still can't compare to a diesel. Gas is a major downgrade, but fine for cheapscates like me.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-15-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
agreed the diesel is more powerfull and gets better gas milege but also costs $10,000 more so in the 3 or so years that I'm gonna own my new truck there is no way I'm gonna save that much gas money.
Old    sparky68            07-15-2005, 10:29 PM Reply   
I'm with you guys and the Ford Power strokes. But I got to say, STAY AWAY from the '03 and '04 Powerstrokes. They had a great truck pre the '03 with the 7.3's. Don't get me wrong I've owned nothing but Ford's since my '68 mustang at 16yrs old. It's just they can't get these things right. It's a crap shoot whether you get a lemon or not. My '04 F350 powerstroke dually has been in the shop for a total of 2 of the 7 months i've owned it. The '05's are much better integrated electric brake control and all kinds of other goodies. If you guys don't believe check out Dieselstop.com.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-16-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
I would feel like trader if I pulled my boat with a Ford,since my boat and all the new once have a GM motor.That goes for Dodge,Titan,Tundra etc.When I get a boat with a Ford engine or something,that's when I'll get a Ford or something.
Old     (bluesman)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-16-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
We used to tow our boat behind a 3/4 ton Suburban. This year we switched to a 1-ton Dodge with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. The difference: I only need to use turn-outs now to let motorcycles and sports cars pass us. I now have the power for any uphill climb and the suspension to handle all the winding roads. 18.3 MPG highway when not towing is my best mileage. 11.4 towing the boat to & from the lake is my lowest mileage.

I strongly recommend the heavier truck with the best suspension and powerful diesel of whatever brand you prefer.
Old    mile_high_rider            07-16-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
dosent indmar still use ford blocks?
Old    mile_high_rider            07-16-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
is it true that the change to aluminum(sp?) heads responsible for the change towards the vortec engines? dissimilar metals carode at different rates?
Old    zboomer            07-16-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
Things that make you go hmmm...

Old    munson            07-17-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
I bought an 03 crew cab 7.3 diesel ford last year and it is freakin bulletproof. Men drive trucks, AMERICAN TRUCKS, not bmw's, toyotas, or hondas. Before the ford I had a half ton suburben, loved it and it towed anything I needed it to, compaired to the ford diesel its like a hyndai. Dont make the mistake i first made and everyone else makes, go big, go diesel, and go home with a smile. Especially when you can get a used one with 20 to 30 thousand miles for 25 to 30 thousand. One more thing my truck seats 6 adults better than my suburben did.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-17-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Boomer...thank you for that post...ENOUGH said as too what motor is better and that out performs all others!
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       07-18-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
About the connecting rod picture. The dodge is a huge 6 cylinder motor and the ford and Chevy are true american 8 cylinders. So that picture makes me say mmmmmmmmm. Why dosen't dodge step up to an 8 cylinder. Also dodges turbo systems are out dated. It still has the god awful turbo lag, the newer fords and chevys don't.
Old    mile_high_rider            07-18-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
also ill bet the 7.4l powerstroke connecting rods are larger than the 6.0
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-18-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
That dodge will pull the boat. It just won't be as solid on the highway or have as much power as the bigger trucks. The gas mileage you save towing with the diesel won't cover the extra cost of the diesel motor. If you use it for putting around town a bunch get the smaller truck (parking). But I wouldn't call the Dakota a chick magnet.

Look at it this way. Spend the extra loot you save on the truck buying a pimp boat. For us on a budget it's a choice of one or the other, as unfortunately I can't have it all. If you got the loot, buy a big ass diesel truck for towing, a ferrari for the ladies, and build a bigger garage for that new X-80. Problem solved.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-18-2005, 11:08 PM Reply   
dave...why go to an 8 when an inline six puts out as much if not more power and torque? and handles ADDED power.