Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-01-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
I haven't heard anything from DoubleUp in years, and today I noticed a facebook page and what looks like new product. Is this common knowledge and I've just been living under a rock?

I don't see Greg Nelsons name on anything. Is he behind this? www.http://dupwake.com/
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-01-2016, 12:10 PM Reply   
They only really exist in Australia, not sure if Nelson is related to it.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2016, 1:11 PM Reply   
I beleive they sold the name a while ago. Double Up has been running outside the US for years now.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-01-2016, 5:22 PM Reply   
They're very big in the cable scene here in Aus (at least in QLD). They're really well priced, high quality and have some great guys repping their stuff at a grass roots level. I've been riding their boots since 2011 and have found them lighter and better suited to my riding than the other brands I'd tried previously.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-01-2016, 5:24 PM Reply   
https://issuu.com/activconcepts/docs/doubleup2017

Repost from the 2017 gear thread.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-01-2016, 6:35 PM Reply   
Fukindoubleupin.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-01-2016, 8:46 PM Reply   
They recently invested into the company and made a big push into cable with some pretty good product. They picked up some good freestyle riders and have an independent freeride vibe, something like Gator back in the day.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-02-2016, 6:48 AM Reply   
I would love to see them come back, it would be good for wakeboarding as a whole and the overall health of the industry.

Funny side story about riding Double Up boards back in the day. In the early 2000's I was riding Hyeprlite gear, way before I was blessed with sponsors. During this time I would break boards like crazy and a local shop was always good to me helping with warranty. At any rate, I broke every 142 Byerly they had in stock over the course of a month, so they suggested I try a Double Up. By this point I was working directly with Paul O'Brien at Hype to get gear warrantied. I would send him pics, he would tell me to go to my local shop and grab a new board and Paul would send them a replacement for their shelves. Anyway, I broke the Double up, honestly it was within like 10 minutes of riding the board, Ironically I cased a double up and snapped it. I reached out to Double Up to warranty the board, the refused and said I was riding wrong and needed to learn proper technique, so I could stop being a "hack" (they actually had the tenacity to call a paying customer a "hack"). I was beyond pissed off at them, as I paid $450 for the board and it lasted 10 minutes. They would not even let my local shop send it back. My local shop manager came out to ride with me ta few nights later to see first hand what I was doing and how I was breaking so much gear. After my first set he whipped out a contract and signed me as their first team rider and from there helped me secure factory level sponsorship. Turned out the be the best $450 I ever spent.