Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-25-2011, 4:51 PM Reply   
We are going camping at Lake Shasta next week(never been Before) and was wanting to know so tips for boating there. Are ther stumps, rocks, deadheads ect?? Heard there are some crazy poisionus spiders, snakes, and scorpions. Do storms roll in quick? Does it stay pretty calm. We have some little ones going with us...Any other helpful tips would be much appreciated. Oh we are going to be at the Hirz bay area. thanks
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-25-2011, 9:09 PM Reply   
Snakes and scorpions. Had a scorpion under my pillow the first night at the lake house we rented a couple weeks ago.

Does it stay calm? Hell yes! Don't bother going out during the day, even though it may not be the worst conditions, save it all for the mornings and most importantly for the evenings. We went out every morning and every evening and holy crap the evenings are nice. The craziest part is no one is on the lake after 7 pm. We would stay out till dark seeing all these idiots at their campsites or on their houseboats while we rode the smoothest water you've seen on a lake. You will love Shasta, one of the most beautiful lakes with the best water ever!

Oh yeah and the water was 79 degrees.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       07-26-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
sweet! I'll be camping up there this weekend too at Hirz Bay with fam and friends!! can't say anything negative about Shasta. Wait, isn't the water conditions the crappiest at dawn and dusk? the worst!!! haha!
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-26-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Best lake hands down!
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-26-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
My wife is super nervous about the scorpions...what is the air temp like? @ jayson we will be the people chopping up the water from 11-5, we are going with a big high school camp so we might be able to go out in the morning, but evenings are out. Water temp @ 79 sounds unreal, can't wait for that. Thanks for the info, anything else that would be helpful please do tell.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-26-2011, 6:06 PM Reply   
we stayed in a house and didn't see any scorpions or snakes. We did see this guy a couple of times though:

you definitely need to watch out for the bridges!

sunrises can be really harsh too...

Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-26-2011, 6:31 PM Reply   
Wow now those pics look awesome, where are the bridges? are there cops on the lake at all? Is there certain specifications for being on the lake we are from Washington...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-26-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
bridges are all on the sacto arm... although I think there is one up towards the end of the McLeod arm too. Don't forget to visit the natural water slides down at little backbone. They aren't that great in the scheme of things but it makes for a good day trip (20 minute hike). If you do go to the waterslides, bring shoes you can walk in. A lot of the walk is up a streambed and it's easy to take a digger in flip flops.

Rope swing in salt creek inlet...

We saw one water cop all week.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-27-2011, 1:04 AM Reply   
Albeit @ New Melones...My best buddies girlfriend got stung by a scorpion this last weekend! Nothing bad, and I've been stung by one too, might get a little welt, a little bee sting like pain, but it doesn't last...In the next couple hours, she couldn't find the sting location. They're creepy little things though, and fast! Now, on the houseboat we were staying, we always spray spider killer on any part touching shoreline, and a good perimeter around it....Never a creepy-crawler! Try that, and check bedding, they like cool places!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-27-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
spend as much time as you can on the water. Just cruise all the fingers and check out as many coves as you can. Anchor and swim when you arent riding. Shasta is unbelievable.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       08-02-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
We all had an awesome time this past weekend! spent most of the time up Mccloud arm just relaxin. The
water is unbelievable especially after 6. Hey Todd, was that you guys keeping us up all night Saturday at the campsite??LOL!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-02-2011, 5:47 PM Reply   
Interesting, I have camped at Shasta since I was a kid since we only live 2 hours North, I have never heard about the scorpions nor have I ever seen one while I was down there. One of the best lakes on the planet you are gonna love it.