Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (asilaydying06)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-27-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
i'm looking at buying a board combo and was looking at the obrien oasis or the edge. its tough to find reviews. i also want to know which one would be better to progress on. i've been slalom skiing a bit so i'm comfortable behind a boat and i expect to progress quickly. i'm scared that i'll buy a beginner board and a month down the road i'll be wanting a more advanced board.
Old     (asilaydying06)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-27-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
also, would there be an advantage with the 138 vs. the 142? does a smaller board have more pop or more acceleration? if it helps, i'm 6'2" and 185 pounds.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-27-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
go with the oasis, I say this because the edge is simply miserable. That thing was designed to only ever be on edge, there's no play with it. God knows why they market it to beginners? not bashing O'brien, just that board. I've never wanted to get off a board so bad in my life, see I'm still all angry about it and this was years ago, lol.
Well harris, used to ride the oasis shape, so I dont think you have to worry about progressing out of it.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-28-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
The Edge was Darin Shapiro's board before the he came out with the Demented. It was designed for/by him, so yes it was meant to be ridden on edge and be very fast and track well.

The Oasis was Cobe Mikacich's board before he came out with the Clutch. It is a three stage board with molded in fins and a removable center fin. The Oasis is the board Dallas Friday has been riding for the past several years, so I would think you will get your money’s worth.

Kristian,

Randys board was actually the Diesel, but when he rode it, it didn't have the removable center fin. He did ride the Oasis while waiting for his board to be designed.

Later,
jjakober
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-28-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
but before the harris/deasel shape came out he was riding cobes board, and thats what I was on about, just so he wouldn't worry about progressing out of it.

and yeah, I rode the edge when it was the shapiro and cant figure out why market it as a beginner board?

(Message edited by kristian on June 28, 2006)
Old    nate_b            06-28-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
I would probably go with the 142 being your a bigger guy, but everyone has their preferences.
Old     (asilaydying06)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-29-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
what makes the edge so hard to ride for beginners, would it not be worth learning on?