Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (chrissocal)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-12-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
I'm starting to draw out some rough plans to build a box for my 205V/Xstar. I plan on using a JLW6. Box location is going to be under the dash. I'm curious which would be the ideal way to face the sub. I previously had an MTX that faced out and to me it sounded pretty good. I've read through some other posts and learned that an down or side facing sub may be better. My space im working with is pretty limited so I'll be keeping this box sealed. Also, if down or side facing is the way to go, how far away from the surface should the sub be placed? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-13-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
I don't know if it's b/c there's a tab bit more internal volume or what, but my rear facing bow walkway filler sub puts out more than my down facing one did. I used to have to have the remote gain switch turned all the way up, now I rarely can do so.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
IMO a side fire or down fire box will give you a more ambiant or filling bass and a direct fire box will give you a more punchy accurate bass. When you fire into a wall your getting the reflectieve sound. Sometimes this is a good thing. Sometimes its bad. Some sub's are designed to be fired into a wall and sound better when they are using a wall to bounce off of. I tested a MTX 9500 and it sounded better when it was shot into a wall. The JL W-6. Im not sure. IMO the W7 sounds good shot into open air so the W6 im sure would work some what the same. I have also heard them shot into open air and they sound great. So either way I think you will do fine
Old     (chrissocal)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-14-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for your feedback. I went to pick up the sub and they actually talked me out of the W6, saying it was more than I needed in a boat, and should go with a 12W3. Salesman said in an automobile he'd go W6 but boat a W3 would be fine. I left there a little confused and didn't buy anything yet. I also looked at kicker's CVR or CVX and considering that too. I had and liked my previous MTX but dont have a local dealer. I really dont know which way to go so any advise is very much appreciated. Maybe im over thinking it. My amp is 250 watts at 4 ohm/ 500 watts at 2 ohm. My old sub was a MTX thunder 8000 12". Thanks
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
If your open to different subs, check out RE. http://www.reaudio.com/
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-14-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
RE makes a high excursion driver that many find to their liking. I would also recommend soundsplinter. http://www.soundsplinter.com
Old     (chrissocal)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-14-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
I'm am totally open to other sub manufactures, just have to do some research.

I looked at some other subs this afternoon and came across the boston g5. Does anyone have any experience with that driver? Thanks again.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
I have a JBL Power series 1024 in my boat and i love it. check em out at crutchfield for some pics. They also make the GTI series which is even more insane. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uWtjTzMD4hT/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&tab=morephotos&pi=1&i=109P1024& display=L#Tab here is the GTI http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=31 28
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2007, 6:08 AM Reply   
Boston makes a good driver.
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-15-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
I just put a new Boston G5 in my boat over the winter...the thing is amazing.
As far as direction of the sub, I would say face it to the side or forward. Gives the sound a chance to load up...
Old     (chrissocal)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-15-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
JFree did you go with a sealed or ported box?
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-17-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Sealed...cleaner sound
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
Keep in mind...

A sealed box the sound comes from the sub

A ported box the sound comes from the port

IMO I would not place the sub face next to anything! You have to be careful about cancellation

If you go with the ported box make sure that you have nothing covering the port, the sub can be covered.

In a boat you are going to have an open environment so either a ported or sealed box will sound fine. The back pressure in a sealed box makes the sub quick and responsive.

When you add a port you are allowing some of the internal air to escape through the port, so you have a sub box that is changing pressure more dramatically.

The advantage to using a sealed box is the quick response between frequencies. The advantage of using a ported box is that it will sound louder and hit harder!!!

The disadvantage of a ported box is that you will lose the quality of sound. I cant think of a disadvantage of a sealed box, other than you might want some more bump than it will offer.

I am all about Kickers L7 series, the square subs. Check them out, they can sound great, if you run on a great amp and use the right box. There is a constant debate between W6's and L7's

Im not trying to change your mind or anything... just think about what you want in your boat, the bump or the quality.
Old     (goose_sound_box_marine)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
We use alot of JL Audio subs and I would say that you salesman is not very good if he talked you down to a w3 for a boat. That would be an ok sub as well but It would not do the job near as easy as the w6. We use W7 subs and JL free air subs in most of our stuff and you can't go wrong with either one. I prefer ported as long as you have enough 6" or 7" to blend it in. You should try the sub in all directions before you finalize the install. That way the sub will pick what works best.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-21-2007, 5:52 AM Reply   
I'm using Diamond Audio D6 12's in my new boat. Sold off all the JL stuff I had (amps/subs).