Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
If you put a black light in a white box with a window; will the box glow?
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2004, 3:33 PM Reply   
it should. The type of material will determine whether the light will refelct off of it or not. I put black lights under the gunwales and the dash with a laminated piece of ordinary printer paper behind them and they glow nicley after the sun sets.
Old    jbf            07-20-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
in case you want your upholstery tinted blue with a black light...that doesn,t work.
i have installed blue leds and that works fine.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2004, 9:49 PM Reply   
I put purple LEDs in my boat and they give off a black light effect

asfd

Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2004, 11:53 PM Reply   
Sean, What brand/type? Thats what I was hoping for. I want a black light effect but don't think I am going to get it with a black light. I want the inside of the box to glow. Thanks guys for your answers.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2004, 7:18 AM Reply   
I got mine off of ebay. It was less than $100 for six light tubes and the controller. I have the bow, in front of the driver's feet, under the observer's seat and both sides of the boat done.

I don't remember the brand.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-21-2004, 7:24 AM Reply   
Just FYI (sorry if you already know this),

The thing about black lights is that they give off light outside the visible spectrum. Some materials take this light energy and actually convert it to a different wave length that you can see. This is called luminescence. Other materials do not exhibit this property and that's why some materials glow and some don't, even if they are white. This seemingly magical ability to make some object "glow" and stand out is what is cool about black lights.

Whether you do a black light or a purple light in your box, it will look about the same. It won't matter whether you are seeing reflected light or light that was a product of luminescence. The only difference will be that with a black light, you will also get some "black light" reflecting out of the box and it will make luminescent materials around it also "glow."
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
If I am understanding correctly, Sean you have Neon tubes or LED's?

Mr Taco, no apology needed. I understood the luminescence part(the wifes diamond ring glows) I think I just wanted reassurance that the box will glow if I paint it white and use a black light. Worst comes to worst I can fabric the inside with white cotton.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-21-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
You know, I've read that cotton isn't naturally luminescent but that they use some kind of chemicals on white clothing to make it brighter. Anyway, they make fluorescent spray paint that you could use. Check out this review I found on some paint that is specifically marketed to work with black lights:

http://reviews.pimprig.com/modding/pctoys_neon_maxx_uv.php
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-21-2004, 12:11 PM Reply   
Haha...please ignore the fact that the article is intended to help members of the "modding community" to "mod their rigs," i.e. their freakin' computer cases. I just noticed that. Oh, man...
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
you guys are giving me some good ideas
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
yeah, pimp rig....talking about a computer
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Back down Mango, I get to post pics of my junk first :-)