Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-25-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
I am leaning towards the Droid 2 because of the newer software and the slide keyboard. I appreciate anybodies input.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
I have a Droid X and like it a lot, but miss having a physical keyboard like my BB curve before and its larger than the other two which has its obvious benefits and drawbacks.

I have heard that the Incredibles don't get that great of battery life, apparently because it has a slightly less efficient processor and Motorola has very good battery management software. The droid also also don't have the solid build of the X, which has a metal frame. A few weeks ago, I was getting out of a truck and it slipped off my lap onto the concrete and all it has is a little chip in the side where the finish came off and u can see the metal.

Software wise, they all are now on 2.2 (Froyo). Besides that, I don't think they're much different, except their customized user interfaces by Moto and HTC. A lot of people really like HTC's UI "Sense." If you don't like the stock motorola UI though, a different launcher (i use LauncherPro) can be installed that takes over that and they are very customizable and give very similar experiences to Sense.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-27-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Thanks. I ended up ordering the Droid 2. I don't think I can live without having a physical keyboard. The 2 is also smaller then the X. I think the only things I lose are a smaller screen and 5 megapixel camera instead of 8.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-27-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
I got a Droid 2 last week and love it so far. First smartphone and it is a very steep learning curve, but Im getting the hang of it. Really like having a real keyboard, battery life is doing pretty well too (for a smartphone)
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-28-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
I've had a Droid 2 for a about a week now and like it a lot (compared to the iPhone 3gs I had before). A word of warning -- it's a brick. Unless you absolutely must have the slide out keyboard, I'd say go with one of the slimmer ones without a physical keyboard. I actually only use physical keyboard when in an SSH session as my fat fingers don't like it. The rest of the time use Swype, getting pretty good at it, too..
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-04-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
anyone checked out wireflyfriends.com. or wirefly.com . Seems like if you are elegible for an upgrade through verizon you can get a droid x or droid 2 for free by doing it through them. wirefly is 49.99 i think. Seems sketchy but from another forum seems to work. Little hesitant to do it. Also seem like the 450 minute monthly charge is 59.99 opposed to 39.99. MJay have the data included or somehting.
Any thoughts
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-04-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
I would search on androidforums and see what you find out about wirefly. I remember there were a lot of different deals when the DX was coming out and I was looking at them, but decided any cost saving up front would be outweighed by the hassle of dealing with them for any current or future problems. I wouldn't hesistate going through Amazon, BB, or Costco. If you go through costco, they will give you an accessory kit and if you pay your bill with your costco AMEX, they will warranty your phone for 2 years or something and they have great CS regardless.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-04-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
Wirefly.com is good. If you register with bing and do a search, you might be able to get an additional amount off at wirefly.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-05-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
I ended up ordering my Droid 2 through amazon this morning. Price was 39.99 for a renewed contract or New contract. I was up for new every 2. Hopefully it goes through and doesnt make more work than its worth. If you search the slickdals.net forum for amazon droid deals or amazon wireless you shoudl be able ot find the deal.