Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    bigdtx            12-07-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine just swapped out his headlights for Xenon bulbs in his truck:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Xenon-L...rds=kensun+h13

He is raving about how great they are. I've heard a lot of complaints about these Chinese kits but he's happy with them. They are so friggin' cheap I decided to order a set for my truck.

Anybody else done this? I ordered the 5000K color.
Old     (WestCoastRider1)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-07-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
I have replaced a set on an X3. Forget what color I ordered. But once installed they looked the same and have now been working great for the last 6 months.

Other than being WAY cheaper than N American jobber parts I see no difference.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-07-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have replaced a set on an X3
I think replacing existing bulbs and a retro-fit kit is a whole different animal.

I've heard bad things about the kits too but don't have person experience. I plan on using a similar kit to retro-fit my fog lights to match the color of my headlights....
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-07-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
I swapped out 2 sets (4 lights to 8000) on my motorcycle. Were a pain in the rear being a very tight space so Id think a truck would be fine.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-07-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
I just did this upgrade on my 2011 F150 for both the head lights and the fog ligths. I went with the 6K bright white and they rock, way better than stock. This is the second set I purchased, and yes you get what you pay for as I returned the first set because thye were incomplete and did NOT include the correct plug n play adapters and the vendor did not sotck the correct ones for my application.

I Highly reccomend this place. http;//www.hidautovision.com
I called them on Black Friday and the owner answered the phone, provided me much insight about AC vs DC ballasts. They stock all the adapters for plug n play application and advised I needed resistors also so as not to have headlight ignition problems on start up due to day time running lights and possibility of tripping codes in the computer system. They were considerably more expensive but you get what you pay for.

I also ordered teh LED back up light bulbs, license plate bulbs and cargo lamp for like $8.99 a pair and they are much brighter also.
Great service prompt shipping and tech support from real people.

Do some reasearch before you order.

Best wishes:
Old    bigdtx            12-07-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
His is a 2012 F150 and he used the kit from Amazon - no problem (hopefully I'll have the same experience). My truck is a few years old but they have kits for pretty much every vehicle nowadays it seems. I also got a couple of LEDs for my interior lights too - we'll see how they work out.

I have awful night vision so I'm hoping these work out. If not I've got 4 8" 130w KC HiLites going on the brush guard shortly too.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-08-2012, 1:00 PM Reply   
I replaced the blubs in my wife's car with Xenon ones. Needed a CANBUS harness to cancel out the car's bulb out warning system. Her car has decent low beam housings and separate high beams, so I just did the low beams. So much better. Did 5000K 35 watt for her.

In my car I removed my headlight housings, took them apart and put a set of projectors lenses in there with 50watt Bi Xenons... so so so so much better. There is a completely flat cut off to the light too, the high beams work by lifting the cutoff shroud up allowing for a very large circular beam pattern. I needed to use CANBUS harness in my car too, otherwise it though the highbeams where all ways on. I don't have any pics of the install on this computer, but I could do the whole thing again in under an hour now I've worked thru it once.
Old    bigdtx            12-28-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quick followup - I installed these lights about a week ago.

Took me a while to get used to how they work - they flash ultra bright for a split second when they ignite, then go dim and take about 10 seconds or so to spin up to full intensity. There really is no comparison between these and my old halogen bulbs. They are friggin' bright! Love 'em. Wish I would have upgraded long ago.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-10-2013, 7:05 PM Reply   
Looking at doing this on my 09 F 250 for both my headlights and my fog lights.....how do the ones from amazon install? Do these somehow get wired into the existing harness? Looking at the HID autovision, they seem a little more of a solid configuration.....any feedback?
Chris
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2013, 7:20 AM Reply   
I did a complete replacement of headlights and fog lights on my chrsyler 300 srt8. Included new little LED's and stuff in the headlights with halo rings. Very sleek and updated looking. Well worth it went you are doing 100+ mph
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
High Intensity Discharge Xenon Headlights have two reasonable applications - in a projected headlamp directing the beam of light, or in a traditional style headlight that is so faded and old that the scattered light doesn't blind oncoming drivers. Don't be the ****head driving around with HID's in your wide open clear headlamps that are designed for traditional halogen bulbs.

This = completely ignorant, blinding oncoming drivers

This = projecting HID light where it needs to be and not causing a driving hazard/pain in the ass for oncoming drivers.

Last edited by bhyatt_ohp; 01-11-2013 at 8:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-11-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
When I did my light I pulled the headlights apart, removed the halogen bits and put projectors in. Makes such a huge difference. I don't have a pic of the light output, but it's flat across the top, this makes aiming the lights to not blind traffic very easy.
Attached Images

Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2013, 12:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
When I did my light I pulled the headlights apart, removed the halogen bits and put projectors in. Makes such a huge difference. I don't have a pic of the light output, but it's flat across the top, this makes aiming the lights to not blind traffic very easy.
Sean, those looks great, definitely the correct way to do it. My rant above was basically just an FYI to those thinking about converting to HID's and the effect they do have when used incorrectly.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-11-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post
Sean, those looks great, definitely the correct way to do it. My rant above was basically just an FYI to those thinking about converting to HID's and the effect they do have when used incorrectly.
That was a little project. I could do them again in about an hour total, including dropping the front clip off the car to remove the entire headlights.

On my wife's car, she had very tightly focused headlights but halogen to start with. I put 30watt Xenons in her car and she's never been flashed for them. Her's have a slight cut off too, not has sharp as a projector set up provides.