Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-12-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
Three divisions now for the boys. So technically between the age of 10 - 18 you have a choice of 5 categories.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-12-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
I got that email. I hope they don't keep changing things up. When you start dividing up by ability, you are asking for a little sandbagging. INT divides by ability and we love INT, but WWA was different and we liked that difference.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       12-12-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
what boys division?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-12-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
Attention all Boys & Junior Boys

***Beginning in 2009 at the Wake Games, WWA Nationals, and WWA Worlds those 2 divisions are changing.

All Boys age 13 and under as of January 1 will be divided into 3 divisions:

Beginner Boys

Intermediate Boys

Advanced Boys

What is used to differentiate between divisions:

Beginner -No inverts or spins over 180

Intermediate -No inverts with more than a 180, no spins over 360.

-Max of 4 inverts and/or 360 spins.

(ex: two 360's and two inverts, three inverts and one 360, etc.)

Advanced -Anything goes
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-13-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
The reason is they need more participation. When you look at the numbers for a nationals it is really pretty low. Even waterski tournaments have tons more participation at nationals. It may not be the best option but it is an option.

What is missing is any sort of local organized events that would qualify riders for a nationals (non pro). Nationals being an open field format takes away any accomplishment one may fell by going to nationals. There have been divisions where only 3 or 2 have registered so all people who came also podiumed.

If you had to qualify and not everyone could qualify then I think it would make going to nationals a lot more exciting. Even if you can't compete with the top 3 or so you would feel you accomplished something by qualifying. The problem with all this is there is no national body that has shown the capability to do this.

INT has a qualifying but that is for skills based not for the top riders in each age division and therefor the best riders in the country are not in INT. When you do qualify for INT it makes you feel like you earned something. Trouble is lately that so few people want to go to Bakersfield they take about anyone and so it loses its feel that you accomplished something by going. I remember when only the winners of state would qualify and it really meant something to go.

I think the pieces are there between USAWaterski, The WWA and INT to develop the sport. My personal feelings are the egos of each one will never allow it to happen. They all want to be in charge and not give up anything, especially power.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-13-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
Roger, to be honest where does USA Waterski fit in anymore in terms of wakeboarding?

At the WWC events if they do not have at least 6 in a division the riders have to go up a division. Tough on them but do you really want to win if you are the only one competing? It seems ridiculous to be honest.
I think what the WWA are doing is a good thing. It will probably get kids to compete who otherwise would not have for fear of being embarrassed.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-15-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
will parents of kids that young really spend the money to travel all that way to see a bunch of wake jumps?

I mean, it's a good concept, but it sure seems like a stretch for nationals and worlds.
Old     (gbgonzal138)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-15-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Nationals and Worlds are tournaments designed to showcase the best riders around the country. I think Nationals and Worlds should both keep single divisions based on age, otherwise it's just another grass root wakeboard competition. Sorry for the criticism, but boys only ride in two tournaments a year anyways. If you aren't getting podium in those tournaments you probably aren't ready for Jr. Men's. I also don't see why people would want to travel to a national tournament if they weren't planning on eventually graduating to a higher division. Local tournaments are the places you want to be if you want to divide classes by skill level.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-15-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
Is this the WWA or INT? I fore see a whole can of worms being opened and people (World Pub) turning into Police on making sure kids are in the right division. If you can throw 1 or 2 inverts can you not throw them and ride the beginner division? Who is going to monitor this? I dont agree but if it groes the sport.... maybe
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-17-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
USAWaterski- They still have a "national tournament" without much participation but the open and Jr Men's winner is invited to masters. They are the US body of the IWSF which has a world tournament every 2 years and sanctions the world cup.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-17-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
Roger, that's USAWakeboard, who is affiliated (under the same umbrella) as USAWaterski. I think you do bring up a great point though, Waterski Nationals (which you must qualify for) is much larger than Wakeboard natties (WWA), and attracts amateur skiers from throughout the nation year after year. This is probably the only event left where skiing is bigger than wakeboarding. It takes what you bring up, a governing body big and strong enough to combine local and grassroots tourneys, and have some sort of qualification for the nation's showcase of talent.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-17-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Roger I don't think winning USA Wakeboard Nationals allows you into Masters anymore since WWA took this event over. I may be wrong but I think last year was the last year for that invite.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-17-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
Because no wakeboarders compete in their Nationals. Last year the mens and womens winners were the only ones in their division.The womens anyway. Not 100% sure on the mens??
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-17-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
You are correct Jim. Just received this for 2009 Masters:

Invitation criteria for wakeboarding competition includes:

1. 2008 Defending Masters Wakeboard Champion. (Rusty, Dallas)

2. Top 6 finalists of the 2008 King of Wake Wakeboarding World Cup Series. (Phillip, Rusty, Rathy, JD, Andrew, Watson)

3. Top 4 finalists of the 2008 Queen of Wake Series. (Nicola, Amber, Melissa, Emily)

4. Top four riders from WWA World Series. (Phillip, JD, Andrew, Trevor)

5. 2008 WWA National Wakeboard Champion. (Phillip, Amber)

6. 2008 WWA World Wakeboard Champion. (Rusty, Nicola)

7. Top 6 Men, 4 Women on the 2008 Pro Wakeboard Tour Ranking Lists. (Phillip, JD, Rusty, Adam, Watson, Andrew) (Nicola, Amber, Emily, Shelby)

8. 2009 Wake Games winner from Pro Women and Pro Men.

9. The Masters Committee reserves the right to chose 2 wild cards for Pro Men and 1 for Pro Women.

* If a rider gets hurt or declines their invite to the Masters the committee will go to the next person
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-17-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
I see they have dumped the winners of the European Championships as well.Any ties between IWSF and WWA seem to have been severed.
Roger, just as a point of interest the Pro Womens side of the World cup is dismal at best.The podium is practically sorted before it even starts.