Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (bauerleboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-26-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
I have searched all over for a brace to wear while wakeboarding that will help reduce the risk of ankle injury. Specifically something to help reduce the toe coming up too far towards the shin (dorsiflexion).
I found a post from back in July of 2006 and several people commented on the same type of injury.
Search "Talus Injury" to reference that post- it is the 1st one that comes up.
This is a common Snowboarder injury and I have preexisting injuries from snowboarding.
If anyone has found something that works for this or ideas of what could help please let me know.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-26-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
only real solution i know of is using tape. made a huge difference when i was having problems regaining dorsiflexion after a nasty sprain.
i can imagine it will be tricky to find a brace that will fit into your bindings, or that there are any braces that will give the sort of rigidity that you get from tape.
i can't even visualise a brace that could limit your range of movement?!
If it's a permanent problem I guess you wouldn't be keen to tape it every time you ride though...
hopefully someone else has heard of a better answer for you.
Old     (bauerleboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-26-2009, 11:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestion Alice. Taping does help and I do end up taping a lot of the time.
Maybe a suggestion on a binding that restricts dorsiflexion movement would be the best solution.
Any ideas?
I am riding the CT Watson's which are a stiffer boot but don't help with this...
Old     (bauerleboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-27-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
Does anyone else have issues with ankles?

What binding/Boot gives the best support for restricting foot from flexing too far towards shin?? I know most stiff boots are designed to keep you from tweaking sideways...
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
I am assuming that if you dorsiflex too much you get a nasty pain in the talus joint. Most likely caused by a bit of swollen tissue from your angered ankle that get's pinched in there. They call it impingement. You should check with a doctor to see if it's impingement or a bigger problem with the bones themselves.

I had this for a year or two after rolling my ankle pretty bad. Learning how to tape your ankle properly will help stabilize the ankle, but it's gonna be a pain getting it in and out of wake or snow boots. I don't think there is much you can do about the impingement stuff except suck it up and hopefully time heals it or the doctors can find a good solution for you.
Old     (bauerleboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-27-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
Any good instructions/ tutorials on how to tape your ankle. Most techniques for ankle taping don't help with this.

I'm looking to restrict the toe from bending towards the shin.

Thanks.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
Dave,

There are bunches of instructions out there. Mostly this will prevent rolling your ankle. I had the same problem you do and unfortunately the tape did not help that much. If you compress while boarding, the impingement sends a shooting pain through your body. I would be limping for a day and it would slowly go away. Ibuprofen helped, but I don't like drugs to maintain my body.

Talk to some doctors, if this is becoming chronic they may need to remove the tissue getting caught in the joint. I got lucky and it went away.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       07-27-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
I ride two lace up ankle braces inside my bindings. I have for years so the boots fit with the braces. It is a pain but I can't really ride without. Look at your local sporting goods store if there is still one in business around you and find one that doesn't have any padding. You need it to fit very tight. It will be uncomfortable but will probably help out a bit.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-27-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
I used a ankle brace a couple of years ago I think it was made by Mcgard. I got it from sports authority or some other big box store. It was a lace up. I don't know if it would help with your problem or not but it seemed to be about the same as taping for me and a lot easier. It wasn't that much either, like $25 or something. Walgreens may even have them.