Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
I don't know what to do and need some advice. Pull the trigger on a 6-8K older ski boat this year like a SN2001 or save up for next year and spend 20-25K on a v-drive wake boat like an '02-'04 SAN.

I could live with searching out rides and hitting the cable for another season but I'm really ready to have my own boat again.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Old     (BKinSoCal)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
If you really want a boat this year, a boat in the $6k-$8k price range isn't going to drop much in value so you could keep it for a season or two and then sell it and get a newer boat. But for me, if you have buddies with boats that you can get pulls from and you're near a cable, I would wait to get the newer/nicer boat next year.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-16-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
Well I was in a similar situation a month ago, except it was my laptop. I waited and got a macbook and man am I glad I did. Wait for the newer boat!!!! I have an older boat that I've gone through and replaced majority of the mechanical parts and I'm still finding things wrong. It'll be worth it in the long run.

And maybe to get you by this season buy a cheap jetski like an older kawi 1100 or something similar!
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
Yeah Brian, I had both of those same thoughts. I live in Orlando so there are plenty of people to ride with but I am still learning and need more sets. It's great to ride with people better than you but some times I feel like I'm just wasting their time. I also live about 7 minutes from OWC so I don't have too much to complain about.

Has any one tried buying the cheaper boat for a season and trying to resale for full value after 1-2 years. I'm afraid I'll be able to resale but someone else it going to get to take advantage of all the money I put into it in repairs, maintenance and upgrades.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-16-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
I would wait! Unless you find a boat out there that someone needs to get rid of fast for cheap, and you know you can make a profit or break even with little money put into it..
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-16-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
If you can find a boat for 6-8k that doesn't need a ton of repairs you will be able to sell it for what you paid in 1-2 years. If you have to do 3-5k in repairs it will stil only be worth roughly 6-8k in 1-2 years. I would probably wait and just buy a nicer boat next year.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
Anyone know of a 6-8K boat in good shape that's for sale around central Florida?

I know where I can get an '82 American Skier for about 3K. It has some small motor issues but the starter is new, tranny seams good, interior is in descent shape, has sacks already and an extended ski pole. Any advice on this one?
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-16-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
I have an American Skier with 2 800lb sacs and a tower and I like it. Bought it cheaper than you're looking at and put in a new motor. To get rid of vibrations i replaced the shaft/shaft seal/prop. Theres a small forum for american skiers its amskierboats.com. Do you have any pics of it?

Last edited by bmock50; 01-16-2012 at 4:12 PM.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
Brett,
That's funny that you have the same boat I'm talking about. How's the wake and how do you weight it? That's a lot of weight, I didn't think the freeboard was high enough to put that many lbs in but it sounds like yours is to your liking. Thanks for the info on the forum, I'm going to get on that. You might have just solved my problem because I was worried no one was trying to ride behind these things.

The one I am looking at is a friend of mines which I have ridden in but never behind. I'll try to get some pics from him but it's like off-white and maroon. He's pretty good and can hit inverts behind it but doesn't want to ride that much because he says the wake is too small for him. It might be right up my ally so I can still do some learning at a discounted rate. Only problem is that I need people to want to come out in the boat because I can't tow myself and if the wake is small they might find other options. Might have to teach the wife to drive... Scary.

Last edited by JoLo_Si; 01-16-2012 at 4:36 PM.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       01-16-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo_Si View Post
Only problem is that I need people to want to come out in the boat because I can't tow myself and if the wake is small they might find other options.
This could definitely be a problem. I've seen it happen to a couple of friends when another member of their "crew" bought newer/better boats.

I think I'd wait. You might be able to buy one and sell it for what you bought it for but odds and ends can eat you up on an older boat. I have a 2000 MasterCraft and I love it but it's always something (alternator, starter, gaskets, odds and ends, etc.). So you might end up sinking $1,000 in miscellaneous crap into it during the year that you will not get back upon resale. That's $1,000 you could have put towards the savings for the newer boat.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-16-2012, 5:33 PM Reply   
Off white and maroon. You're describing my boat! haha The boat doesn't mind the weight at all, my prop really helps though. I need a little weight in the front. But on that forum is the guy that built most of the boats. He will help you out with any of the technical questions.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
Yeah Jeff that's a legit concern, I'm going to see what that American skier is going for around here. If I plan ahead to sell it including the maintenance cost. Only problem there is what if it's something major over what I plan.

Brett, would you mind telling us what you dropped on the new motor and drive shaft repair? Also, got any pics of you boat all hooked up or the wake behind it?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-16-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
how are you going to save up $17,000 in one year?
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-16-2012, 6:09 PM Reply   
When I got my boat, the block was cracked. The local machine shop had a 351w block bored already that someone left there for$150 (what they had in it) and a stroker crankshaft for $75. Picked up a cheap set of pistons out of jegs for like $90, rebuilt some newer aluminum heads for $200 and used the original everything else. A buddy of mine owns a shop so it was $750 for him to pull it and rebuild the motor. I had the original shaft straightened at a machine shop for $40, it was really straight but I was anal about vibrations bc of the new motor so I bought a new one (coupler and all) for 315. I opted for an oj prop and dripless seal which were pretty pricy.

I'll try to get pics of the boats wake this weekend. Hopefully it will be the maiden voyage of the season (fingers crossed). I can get some of the boat itself tomorrow.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
I can finance part if need be but since I got a 30% salary raise on Friday the wife says I can save all my bonuses for a boat. I'll also probably unload some things like my atv. Really should be do-able. I actually could swing it this year but I don't want to make a toy a hardship, made that mistake once before. It did get me into this sport so I have no regrets but it hurts to sell things you love when you don't have a choice.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 6:20 PM Reply   
Hardcore going out this weekend, this time of year. More power to ya, enjoy the ride, feel the stoke!
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-16-2012, 7:04 PM Reply   
Wetsuits definitely help! That and my boat has a leak i need to track down...........
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-23-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
Well, unfortunately I didn't get to go out this weekend. The weather didn't hold up. I'll get you some pics of the boat itself either today or tomorrow though!
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-24-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
Brett, that would be great. I hope you track that leak down before it bites you.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-24-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
What about my Supersport Nautique for 17k in 6 months?
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-24-2012, 2:50 PM Reply   
Nick, I like the sound of that. Gives me some time to save and you another season in your boat. I could even pick up this american skier cheap in the short term and sell it when your ready. Looks like a pretty decent wake from your profile pic but that price is a bit steep for a '95 unless you've made it a sick SAN clone with a great interior.

Where are you located? What options have you added to the boat? Can you send me some pics?
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-24-2012, 4:43 PM Reply   
Drove all the way to where its stored, and the camera was dead haha. Tomorrow!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-24-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
Get one sooner rather than later, but don't settle for a small low freeboard boat if you want something else. My budget was around $13k-$15k max and I was looking at everything from SN2001 and other small closed bow boats to all composite MC205, SNOB, and Moomba Vdrives. I ended up in a Supra Saltare for around your budget.

Why did I go with the Saltare over a 205 or SNOB? It was a lot cheaper, much bigger, more freeboard, more seating, and bigger engine, newer floor and stringers, and engine rebuilt a few years back. It had everything I wanted along with much better styling than the newer boats. Added Perfect Pass and a few misc. goodies and it has treated me well. It's for sale, as everything is with me, for the right price. I've been offered $12k for it which even after improvements would give me some profit for my time and work invested.

So what I'm saying is if you want something now, there are nicer open bow boats out there that cost way less than $25k. It all depends on what you want in a boat. Hell, if all I had was a SN2001 I'd still have just as much fun on the water. It's about riding and good times with friends and family, whether I do that in a $5k boat or a $50k boat I'll still have just as much fun.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-25-2012, 5:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Looks like a pretty decent wake from your profile pic but that price is a bit steep for a '95 unless you've made it a sick SAN clone with a great interior.
95' with a completely new interior (being done at this exact moment)
tower w/ mirror, board racks, speakers (6 tower speakers - 2 amps - 3 subs)
ballast - 1000lbs rear, 700 mid, 800 front
2 props (stock and acme 856)
dual axle trailer
exterior is nearly perfect
~650 hours.

I'll be posting it for around March/April
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-25-2012, 6:48 AM Reply   
Bummer Brett.
When ever you get a chance.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-25-2012, 8:16 PM Reply   
Nick, that sounds real sweet. Why are you waiting to sell, just until the interior is done? I'd love to see some pics as soon as your ready because it's nearly exactly what I'm looking for.

Do you have the ballast plumbed in?
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-26-2012, 8:23 PM Reply   
I've got pics! The tower is built out of 2" 1/4 wall 4041 aluminum with diy feet and rope mount dealy. It stands about 6'4" from the floor of the boat. When we bought the boat, the interior had been redone so its in pretty good condition. Don't mind the mess or the dust, our shed is being built still and I'm replacing a few things in the boat...

Last edited by bmock50; 01-26-2012 at 8:32 PM.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-27-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Nice Brett, That looks identical to the one I am looking at except the tower. I'd love to see what kind of a wake your throwing when you get a chance.

Going to look at an '85 SN2001 this weekend, it's got a tower, plumbed ballast and perfect pass for 6.5K which seams like a pretty good deal. The American Skier is going for 3K and has sacs and an extended pylon but I'm always nervous about buying from a friend... decisions, decisions...
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-27-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
How big are the sacs that come with it? Mine are 800s and I made a little rack deal to reinforce the doghouse and hold the sacs. From what I've heard though, the sn would be the way to go because of the wake and resale value.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-11-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
I decided I am tired of waiting so I am going to look at two SN2001's today both are 84/85 with towers, perfect pass and custom plumbed balast and asking $6,500. The one that's 3 hours away looks like it has a nicer interior but the description of the local one says it has a fairly new engine. So fingers crossed we'll be riding tomorrow!
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-11-2012, 10:40 PM Reply   
I would think depending on what you go with you can spend the $6-8 this year and at the end of the season sell it for $4-7k and still get your $18-24K boat next year or find something in good shape that can get you through the season without any repairs or upgrades.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old     (USCWakeboarders)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-12-2012, 12:57 AM Reply   
Get a boat now but not for 6K. I bought mine for 10K and it has been great. It is a 1998 Tige Pre2050 with just over 500 hours and I am very happy with it. It looks alot newer and runs great and I have only had to spend a few hundred here and there on trailer tires, stereo, etc.

My advice would be buy now and get a good winter deal, then hang on to it for a season or two and sell in summer to break even or even a small profit. Theres deals to be had just look around. Took me a month before I got the deal on my boat.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-13-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I am thinking the same thing. Didn't get to look at them yesterday but I have an appt. to test drive the local one on Wednesday, I'll let you know how it goes.
There is alot of stuff out there for 10K but not the hulls I want and they needs all of the accessories and it's a couple more months of waiting. Hopefully one of these SN2001's pan out because I know I can resell pretty quick when I find the '97 or up Sport of SuperSport at the right price. If I find the right one I realize I may have to add a tower, fill up sacks manually and drive by hand for a while before I can turn it into a SAN clone but if I can start the project around 10-12K it will be a sweet ride at a good price when it's all done.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-16-2012, 7:48 PM Reply   
Found this boat you might be interested in, if he still has it

http://jackson.craigslist.org/boa/2795418364.html
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-17-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
nice but I feel like it's a little pricey compared to what I can find locally.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Nick, that sounds real sweet. Why are you waiting to sell, just until the interior is done? I'd love to see some pics as soon as your ready because it's nearly exactly what I'm looking for.

Do you have the ballast plumbed in?
The main reason we were waiting is people are more antsy to buy with spring around the corner than in the dead of winter... don't get me wrong, if someone wanted to buy it today we woul pull it out of storage no problem.... the interior is also a factor, I think it will help with the sale.

The ballast is plummed in, 1 HUGE pump fills the system
intake --> 4000 gph pump (3" outlet, its big) --> intake splits at a "T" .... 1 half to the rear the other to the front bags
REAR T - one to the left bag and one to the right bag.... either can be isolated by valves (if you want to fill 1 side for surfing)
Front T - goes to center bag (currently off of the system but easy to tap in).... we rarely used it due to number of people,... and then splits to the front bag (under bow)
... all bags exit through one pipe using gravity to get the water to the rear of the boat and one smaller pump to move it out the side.
... whole system fills in about 8 minutes and empties in 10 mins.

some pics of the boat:
3rd photo is the wake with only 2 in the boat and no middle bag filled
4th photo is surf setup if that interests you
Attached Images

Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-17-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
Do you have any info on the pump?
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-17-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
Nick. That's a sweet looking ride and a sick looking wake. How long until the interior is complete?
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-23-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
Heres another

http://dothan.craigslist.org/boa/2809429170.html
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-24-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
I'm pulling the trigger on an '85 SN2001 for around 6K with tower, pp and plumbed ballast. That is pending my inspection, lake test and a compression test. Pretty stoked to have something right now at a reasonable price that I should be able to flip after I save for about a year so I can get the boat I really want like Nick's
Attached Images

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-28-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
So I did buy the '85 SN2001 pictured above and it's perfect (for me, right now). All the ballast pumps work and it's plumbed pretty nicely, I'm going to replace the toggle switches and make a nice aluminum dash plate to cover the oversize hole that was left. The Stargazer PP works well and is accurate. The interior is as nice as the picture but there are 3 seams at the stiching that have come apart but I can't imagine that will cost much to get repaired. The motor is strong and shows alot less rust or evidence of salt that I was afraid of, actually the motor mounts and risers look really good with almost no rust. There is one soft spot in the floor just in front of the ski pole which seams to be in between the stringers so I'm not too concerned about that. Gel coat and decals are toast, it's going to take a lot of elbow grease here but it should end up looking pretty nice. The original trailer is in awesome condition for it's age and has clearly never been in salt..

The wake? I havn't had much time to mess with it but it's got a nice little ramp with just the 300lbs of lead in the back and about 300lbs of sand in the front. The front weigh was all moved to the passengers side when they cleaned it I think so it was washed out heal side and nice toe side but I'll get that corrected. I havn't had a chance to ride with the ballast filled but that is going to add about another 1,000 lbs to the back. I think then their full two of the sacs are going to poke out from under the seat on either side of the motor box which puts some of the weight a little more towards the middle which will help with balance a some. I'll get some pics once I get it sorted out.

A little TLC and it's going to be a sweet looking wake beast for under $6,500!