Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-31-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
I'm interested in seeing how many amps and batteries everyone is running with. Not only that, but the approx. # of total RMS watts your pushing.

I'm pushing approx 1000watts using 2 amps and 2 batteries. I'm adding a 3rd amp that will add an additional 1000watts. wondering if i should get a 3rd marine battery or not. (i'm sure ppl will start sayin i should get a kinetik power cell or something like that instead of another battery).
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-31-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
I am running 1100 watts RMS using 2 batteries. One cranking battery and one dedicated to the music.

Do you have a cranking batter plus 2 batteries, or one cranking and one for the amps. If you only have one for the amps. IMO I would get another if you decide to add that 1000watt RMS amp.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-31-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
Steve I'm running 2500 watts rms and have 5 optima batteries, one is a reserve starting. Only put this many in because we like to chill alot, or tie up at the beach. If you don't listen to the stereo alot with the boat off you'd be ok with 3. I recomend having a reserve starting battery just in case anytime you run a larger stereo system.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
I've got
AMPS = 1000watts -- 660watts
1 Battery
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-31-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
1800 watts. 3 amps. 4 batts. 2 - 12vt and 2 6vt for acccessories.

If you don't plan to chill and listen, you could prolly just add the amp.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-31-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Why not just run 2 really good batteries and wire the power for your amps through the "both" or "all" post on your switch? That way you can run the stereo off either battery and just switch back and forth? I ran 3 amps with 2 batteries in my last boat like that and it worked great, plan on doing the same in this one. Also I run the remote wire from each of my amps through its own switch so I can turn my amps on/off when I need to.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
3 Arc Audio amps
1 - KS1000.1
2 - KS300.4

4 interstate batteries
1 - starting
3 - stereo

That is what Lightning Accessories suggested and seems to be a good setup so far.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-31-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
I have 4 amps ( 3 alpine pdx, 1 mmats) 2700 RMS. I have one starting, 2 6v t-105's ( golf cart). 90 amp alt. I can definately tell the effeciency of the alpine amps over my previous setup justy by watching the voltmeter while the boat is running.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-31-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
Adam thats another concern i'm starting to think of is the alternator. What is the factory alternator rated for?

Byron thats kind of what i do now, but i'm having a feeling that the new zx1000.1 might suck alot more juice. I want to make sure i'm giving the amp ample battery juice so that thing can make my sub put ripples in the glass(water)!!!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-31-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
Steve if you have the indmar 340 you will have the 90 amp alternator, if you have the 325 it will be the 70 amp alternator. The 90 amp alternator puts out 40 amps at idle.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-31-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
2 Amps and 2 dedicated deep cycles. Watts RMS = 970.
Old     (fitzh2o)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-31-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
This is a really good subject-got a 2000 watt amp for christmas from my bro, been working on getting parts together to do it right and theft proof(proof probably is not the correct word- maybe deterent is better)with tamper-proof fasteners and hidden install but am concerned about too much battery weight on one side washing my wake-love to see some pictures of everybody's set-up!
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-31-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
Good topic. 2 Amps at 1650 watts and right now only one battery. I'm going to go to 2 batteries shortly. My question is it OK to have 2 different batteries? Regular marine for cranking, and optima for the stereo and should the cranking battery need help. What color Optima should I get?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-31-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
It's ok to have 2 different batteries if you don't ever combine them. Get the blue top, yellow top will work fine to just won't have the top screw terminals.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-31-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
Its ok to have two different kinds of batteries but from what I understand you just dont want to wire them together or run them on a switch at the same time, im sure someone will clarify.

If I were to add a third battery how would I do it and still use my switch?
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-31-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
See told ya someone would clarify!!!!
Old     (99xstar99)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-31-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
3 PDX amps....1600 watts
2 x 2.150's

1 Kintetic 1800
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-31-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
i will never pay for another optima battery. my .02. Too many other options these days.

two types - but only charge one with alt.

byron, depends on what the 3rd battery is for
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-31-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
ideally you won't identical batteries ( same kind, brand, age) try and stay away from combining different kinds of batteries ( AGM, wet, gel) They all handle charges differently. It's just not ideal.
Old     (moomba55)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-31-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
So if you combine two different types of batteries and try to charge them both of the alternator what will happen? Problems resulting in the batteries or the alternator?
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-31-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
3000 Watts RMS
4 amps
4 deep cycle batteries with total of 500 Amp Hours capacity
1 starting/cranking battery

I definitely agree you need to run the same types of batteries...wet cells and AGMs together most likely will cause issues or damage to batteries.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-31-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
1200 Watts RMS
3 Amps
2 Interstate Deep Cycle 850 cca's
No Isolator or Perko, just a jump start box stashed under the seat that I've never had to use but other people on the lake sure have!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
2340 Watts with one cranking and 2 for the stereo but I'm looking at going to a 3rd for the stereo.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-31-2008, 10:56 PM Reply   
Last year was the 3rd year running 4650 RMS watts with 4 Trojan T105 6V golf cart batteries. It's wired as 2 zones along with an on board charger (110VAC) that I always have pluged in if not out on the water. The batts are connected to a 2 zone Perko switch but I never select anything except "ALL" anymore. I did have a 130 amp alt (modified) but didn't hold up. Went back to the stock 60 amp and still have no problems while riding for 6-7 hours and or hanging at the beach with the system at some 1/2-3/4 volume for a couple of hours. For emergency I usually carry a portable 12V boost pack but have yet to need it.
IMO the most important part of my power bank is the On board charger. It takes very good care of my batts despite frequent abuse.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
Duane, I exp the same thing. I have an onboard charger that stays plugged in while not ont eh water. My stock alt holds up fine. I've had issues with bigger modified alts int he past.

Neal, The battery life will be shortened b/c the two diff. types of batteries charge at differnt rates, one battery will never get fully charged.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-01-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
what size AWG wiring are you guys using to connect your batteries? I was thinking of using 4 AWG would be okay, but still pondering using 2 AWG.

I'm going to run 2 AWG from the new (3rd battery) to the new zx1000.1 amp.

Battery #2 and #3 will be on position #2 on the perko switch and then battery #1 will be on position #1. #1 will technically be my starting battery but i will prolly just leave the perko in the "all" position most of the time.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-01-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Duane, I could not agree more. Plug in onboard charger (1 plug) and all 4 batteries are charged for next use.

Neal, (to add to Adam's post) second, your alternator's will not last because it constantly sees two different charge levels and puts out different charge rates as needed. I'm also running a stock alt.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
Steve, there are charts online that will tell you AWG size needed by amps/cable length. One thing to note is that ther are alot of cable brands out there, some are not true 2/4 guage. I've seen cable labeled 2ga that when cut in half is probably 8 guage with a ton of insulation.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
This is a good question. IMO its one that has many diffrent answers. I will make up some examples

A guy has a huge system with 2 Blue top's. And it works fine. He never plays it loud for very long just short blasts, and he dosen't have the bass up very loud or has no bass at all, or take in that he never plays the system for very long with the motor off.

How many batterys you need can depend on #1 How long you like to play with the motor off, #2 What kind of music are you playing, Example a Hip hop song is gonna require more power than a rock song if you have a bunch of subs in your boat. Your power consumption is gonna be greater playing sertan types of music at diffrent level's and for what amount of time. My advice for people is have more battery power than you think your gonna need. Take you boat out a few times and keep track of your voltage you shouldnt dip below 12v if you are then you need some more power either a bigger alternator or more battery's or both.
Old    Ben Kerran            04-01-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
I have always gotten by with just the one that came with the boat, but i don't like to play the stereo that loud.
Old     (bhutch)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-01-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
me too ben, also don't want all the extra weight in my boat
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       04-01-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
All I know is it is stupid loud when I am towing a rider and when I let off the throttle is gets quiet all by itself. The subs will knock your fillings out and there are 6 or 7 batteries to let it run a while.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-01-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
Yeah Ben's definition of not too loud is across the state of CA. I live two hours south and I think I can hear him from here.

Ben, love the new profile pic. Where is that taken?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-01-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
By the picture it looks like 9 tens! Ok maybe not tens but pretty damn cute.
Old    Ben Kerran            04-02-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Gary- That is great (fillings out). I gotta get one of those volume controls from HSE. Are they out to the public yet or only you VIP's? Looking forward to 5/10

Bill- Yeah all that extra weight would only make my wake bigger and I fall hard enough as it is

Mox- It's at Berryessa. Thank god for my younger brother and his girl. I'm old and married and the wife doesn't like when I pull them in like I used to

Seriously though on the battery thing. I have 10 blue tops and I run somewhere between 3.5 and 4K watts RMS (assuming everything is on). Grant is totally correct in that it really depends on type of music and volume. I can go from full charge to consistently dipping below 11.8 volts in 3 hours with certain music/volume. Or I can play 8 hours without my voltmeter even moving, it just depends on how hard I am pushing it and what type current the sub amps are drawing. I also have an upgraded alternator, so it is fine when the boat is running, but I usually leave it off when tied up for swimming etc.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       04-02-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
Ben and Coops systems are probably two of the best sounding and loudest systems I have heard. I have not heard "G"'s but seeing all the perfection work he does I can only imagine that the sound is as good as the install if not better.

Ben;

The official release date for the HSE volume control is June (father’s day). Production is in full swing and there should be 500+ units available then with more on the way. They orders are coming in fast for them so if you’re truly interested get one on pre-order. I know Neptune’s is distributing them but I am not sure on who else.
I am super stoked about this season it should be of the chain. You’re going to be at Spring Ride this year right??? I am hoping to get all the LED stuff installed before then.
We have a few trips to Berryessa planned this year so I will let you know and we will have to hook up.

Best feature I added to the system was being able to plug it into 110V. So when I am on the houseboat and we want tunes I can play all day and night and run off of the 110v from the houseboat.

(Message edited by deltariderscom on April 02, 2008)
Old    Ben Kerran            04-02-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
Gary-G's system sounds absolutely ridiculous and is one of the sickest installs I have ever seen. It is even sicker because he did it all himself (with some help from Clay). We moved out to Concord a while back, and I recently moved the boat over to Orwood, so I am in your neck of the woods (now if I can just stop getting lost on the damn Delta) I will definitely be at Springride and all the DRA events this year. I am looking forward to seeing everyone.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
Gary: I would agree with you 100% both Ben's and Richard's systems sound awesome IMO because they have the Bass to back up a strong tower. Most of these people with a HCLD tower don't have the bass to balance the system out. Sure they get the sound to the rider but it sounds pretty sharp IMO.
True story: Ben's boat was down at the water at Tulloch. He was playing his system and he's system was shakin stuff on the walls at my house. I was like WTF is that?????? Who's system is that? I gotta check this out. I headed down to the water and thats when I met Ben. a great guy
Richard never play's his boat. Its like he's embarrased you have to beg him to to turn it on.
He's like the quite guy in the corner and then when you get him fired up LOOK OUT! I know last year everyone was trying "Not" to play music because of the Sound Off and the DU contest so we gotta work somthig out. If you havent heard a big well put together system then your in for a treat.
Cant wait get your Batteries charged up.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
I wanna hear Hammond's Tomcat. That thing should bang.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
Yeah, i'm bettin' that Eargasm II should be renamed Earquake after looking at some of the product he's got in that bad boy. I looked into the RE separates he installed in it and they look phenominol not to mention the ridiculous tower set up he's gonna be running. I was surprised in his subwoofer choice but they must be pretty good if he picked em.
Old    Ben Kerran            04-02-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Oh yeah.....Eargasm 2 in Stealth Mode. I'm stoked to check it out