Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            06-24-2006, 6:06 AM Reply   
This is a picture of Dennis behind our boat. Dennis is the only member of our crew that rides goofy, so when we weight the port side, Dennis rides backside. He's getting quite good at it. It occurred to me that we could also try riding switch - wakeboarders, wakeskaters and skateboarders do it all the time. Today I want to try riding frontside and backside both regular and switch. What sorts of things are others trying for the first time?
Upload
Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       06-24-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
I have Super Air so we can only ride on the Starboard side. I ride regular, so I am goofy all the time. I want to ride switch next time we go out.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-24-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
One of my better goofy riders has been working on his heel side skills on the port wake. After tree different outings he's also getting pretty good.
Old    hyperlite_m            06-24-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
yeah im regular but i tried getting up and surfing the other side off the wake and u weight had to be changed like ur normaly on ur toes a lot and when u lean to ur heals i lost my balance and a foot came off the board but i saved it cause they threw the rope back out so its not that had but challenging
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-24-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
I got one of the local sports news casters on the water today. He made steady progress from board positioning difficulty, to start up falls, longer starting runs, line riding, and a short free ride. He'll have one minute "One-On-One with Jerod" segment on the 11:00 PM news tomorrow evening.
Old    surfdad            06-25-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
Ed, did you get him out?! Kudos. Backside was doable, even switch backside was doable, but I couldn't do switch frontside to save my life. James and his buddy trid somthing new. They are both in the 150 pound range. They used Dennis' board which is roughly 6'2" long, 25" wide and 3" thick. They tied one rope to the tower and another to the ski pylon and then BOTH got up on the board. :-) The person in the back had to toss the rope pretty quickly and then hang on to the person in the front. :-) They were riding pretty wll and decided to do a few top and bottom turns. They agreed to do it on the count of three and thn would count it off 1...2...3 then turn. :-) We forgot to bring the camera, but it was hillarious to watch.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-25-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Well I was riding the 6'1" landlock all summer last year and was able to do surface 180's, but now we have the liquid force venture 5'0", so now im trying surface 3's but am having trouble staying in the pocket at the end of the rotation... but shuvits will be next on the list
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-25-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Anyone ever do or see someone else do a body varial?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-25-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
I am trying backside 3's and maybe getting more air. Do you think shuvets are possible with my board? Wait my mind is playing tricks on me. How about nose riding?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-25-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
Yup got him out. He asked me to add him to my crew email so he can ride some more. I'd like to get him to compete at the Scioto Wakefest. Kind of inserting the newsman in the story - just not as intense as Desert Storm.

On things to work on I really should do a spin of some sort.

Two riders at once is pretty cool. There's a dealership in Texas that made a video of two riders.
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
next week im going to work on 3 shuv its and big spins
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-26-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
My switch frontside is better than my backside.

Jeff- you should see some of the footy I'm getting down here in Cabo. The 1st 2 days we were riding this run-on pointbreak that felt exactly like a starboard boatwake (except it was headhigh on the sets)

3 more days till reality
Old    surfdad            06-26-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
You have to share Sean, post a clip when you have some edited footage. Must be nice, off to Cabo, what twice in a month?! :-) I literally couldn't stand up for more than 30 seconds switch frontside, but switch backside wasn't a problem. I wonder if it had to do with the visual references, I almost NEVER ride backside so aligning with the boat took some time backside, whereas switch backside I seemed to know exactly where to put the board.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-28-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
yea, twice in 30 days and 3 trips in 3 months with 1 more next month/or early August then I'm done.