Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old    malibu73            06-17-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
I ride a liquid force team with transit bindings and lately after a day on the lake my right knee will be killing me. I noticed yesterday that I take a majority of my tricks into the flats. Really for no reason, that just were I end up landing. I'm not doing anything technical, grabs mostly. Whats my problem, am I coming into the wake to hard or to fast or is my board to fast with not enough pop?

I'm liking the Watson right now, would that be a new good board for me or should I stick with my team for right now?
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-17-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
How far out do you ride/speed?
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-17-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
You might want to ride farther back so you can land on the other wake. That will make the landings softer. A different board will help somewhat but can still be hard on the knees. Just my .02
Old    malibu73            06-17-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
I ride behind a 95 moomba boomerang Direct Drive. Neither of my speedometers work so I rely on the tachometer. I usually keep it at about 28 hundred RPM's if that helps. My rope is set at 63 feet, I know its short, but any further back the wake looks like crap. I lengthened it to 70 feet a couple of weeks ago and didn't like it at all. Should I just try to get used to it?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-17-2007, 3:53 PM Reply   
at 20 I am not sure your knee should be killing you unless it is somewhant inflamed or injured from overuse. Do you absorb the landings by bending your knees or do you land with bent but stiff legs...kind of absorbing the shock with your back ?
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-17-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
Speed up the boat and add weight to the front. I didn't like the wake far back on my dads wakesetter then we put 3 people in the bow and the wake was awesome and it curled farther back.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-17-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
a moomba boomerang at 2800 rpm is probably close to 26 mph?? Figure out the speed you are riding at, definitely should be longer than 63 feet if you are consistenly landing way in the flats... other than that, try to reduce your speed into the wake and just use a progressive cut, work on going wake to wake and taking a shorter cut instead of flying way into the flats... what is your stance like on the board???
Old    malibu73            06-17-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
How much weight should I put in my boat? it says the max capacity is 5 people. I usually have 1-2 people in the boat and 1-2 hundred in the back and one hundred in the middle. I know thats not much weight, but it seems to give me a pretty good wake. Any suggestions on how I should weight it?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
we have a 17.5 aluminum crestliner with a 90...and 11 pitch prop.....we put 700lbs in the back 500 up front and 3-4 people. your boat doesn't have an open bow does it? If it does you should be able to put more weight than that in it.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-18-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
you might also think about the spacing of your bindings. I rode a 141 for a while with the bindings all the way out, and at that angle my left knee hated me after a few sets. all I did was move the left binding in one hole and my knee hasn't hurt since.
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-18-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
dude i take glucosamine pills and its all amino acids and it builds the cartlidge and fluid in your joints.... i take it and have no problems anymore
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       06-18-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
I ride the same set up and the board is not the issue. I demoed a bunch of boards and ended up on a Team cause it lands nice and soft out in the flats.
The sugestion of riding a bit further back is good.
One another thing to think of is are you landing with the board flat? You should land on edge almost as hard as you were cutting into the wake.
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-18-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
hey chad are u and duane related?
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       06-19-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
Like George said, land on your edge.. don't just smack down flat
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-19-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
not that I know of...
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-19-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Obviously, everyone's knees are different and you don't always perform every jump or trick as planned. Therefore, you end up taking some landings out into the flats even when you don't plan to. I have two bad knees, one with a torn PCL and the other on the verge of tearing something. Bending my knees when I land definitely helps, but so does the board I ride.

I picked up a Shane this year and my landings have never been softer. Last night I took a spin on a LF Witness and the landings were noticably harder on my knees than my Shane. The first set of the night I rode my Shane and the second set I rode the Witness. Same boat, same wake, same rope length, same speed, and the same occasional landings in the flats. Bottom line for me was the Shane gave me pillow soft landings and the Witness did not.

You can do all of the things people are suggesting as they will help your knees, but a board that better suits you can definitely help as well.