Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (foxstar45)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-07-2013, 8:25 AM Reply   
Looking for information from people who have had experience getting a boat shipped (1150mi) to the boarder.
How much does it cost to ship, and how much tax/duty/boarder fees do you pay on the boat. (35000 boat)

Thanks in advance.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2013, 8:42 AM Reply   
You will probably pay anywhere from $1.00-$1.50 per mile. If you get on Uship and find someone it will probably be closer to the lower figure. I am not sure what your taxes are, but here is what you will need to cross the boarder:
-Bill of sale for boat
-Bill of sale for the trailer
-Letter of no recall for the trailer (call trailer manufacturer with VIN and they will provide free)
-Boat title
-Trailer title

Call the boarder in advance to make sure it goes smooth...
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-07-2013, 8:46 AM Reply   
Average rule of thumb for most shippers is $1.25 per mile (in my experiences, other areas may be different). You can always use Uship and find better deals, I use it frequently but you must be very careful who you use. Make sure they have all the proper documents, insurance, and even trailer tags. Find a shipper who is up to date on all requirement for taking a boat over the border. More often than not they will let them sit for a day at the border to make sure there are no recalls or issues with the boat. When selling a boat into Canada, you pay sales tax when you cross so that is determined by a percentage of the sale price. Hope that helps. You should be able to get it shipped for around $1,500-2k (as a deal) but could go all the way up to 3-4k with a very reputable shipper.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-07-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
haha Diggs I think we were posting at the same time. As soon as I hit post reply both of ours popped up and pretty much identical explanations.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-07-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
You won't pay duty but you have to pay the taxes based on the purchase value. That being said if you can work a deal with the buyer that you pay some in cash and the rest through the bank to get that number on the bill of sale lower. From what I have heard in the past it's more the trailer that's the issue then the boat itself for some reason. The other thing you would pay for which usually isn't much would be a local shipping house in the US to receieve the boat on your behalf.
Old     (mechmaster)      Join Date: May 2006       02-07-2013, 8:59 AM Reply   
The hard part won't be the boat, its the trailer.

You will pay taxes (GST or HST, depending on your province) on the boat based on its value. If you get a good deal, be sure to bring the appropriate documentation.

The trailer will require going through the RIV. There is a well defined procedure that must be followed to the letter for first exporting from the US, then importing to Canada. See here: http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx.

Once imported, the trailer will need to pass provincial and federal inspections to allow you to insure and register.

Last edited by mechmaster; 02-07-2013 at 9:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (foxstar45)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-07-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone.

Looks like it will be approx. $2000 shipping
5% GST and 5% PST
So a $35000 boat will end up being $40500 or so.
That seams pretty reasonable.
Old     (foxstar45)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-07-2013, 9:52 AM Reply   
Next. What site is best for finding used boats. I have looked on only inboards so far.
Is there a reputable repo site out there?
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-07-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
I've imported quite a few into Canada. It's pretty straight forward and pretty easy to do.

Don't try and undervalue it to save a couple bucks on tax. Border guards are pretty smart with that now and they will do their due diligence to get the accurate value on what you paid. Be prepared - 'how did you find the boat for sale' (craigslist, onlyinboards, etc). 'How did you pay', 'Where did the funds come from'. They may ask to see correspondence between you and the seller (emails).
The more info you can give them, the less they will worry about it. If you do try and scam and they find it, not only will you pay full pop but you will get fined as well.

I didn't think a trailer needs a Provincial inspection but def a Federal one. The link mechmaster provided will give you all the info you need. One thing is, if it's a dual axle trailer, check to see if it has brakes on both axles - many trailers down south only had it on one. In Canada you need them on both which can cost you another $1000 or so.

PM me if you have any questions
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-07-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
Craigslist is a good tool, use a website or app that lets you scan a bunch of cities at the same time. Onlyimboards is great.. another good one is oodle.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-07-2013, 2:40 PM Reply   
Edit:
Mike already covered what my post was going to say.
I'm going to have to spend more time reading and less skimming. It will be faster.

Last edited by rallyart; 02-07-2013 at 2:43 PM.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-10-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
If you were in Manitoba, you can apply to recoup the Prov Sales Tax from a private sale of used items imported - no road vehicles or trailers, but boats are on the list. If you bought it from a dealer you are out of luck. I finally got around doing it for my boat and I got over $2,000 back. Check with your province, but some have similar rules. Good luck!