Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 6:29 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL5toP73Iys

The video is of me and a friend. Any tips would be appreciated.

Boat was at around 23.5. For me the rope started out at 65ft, then towards the end of my set goes down to 60ft while I was trying to get the toe-side wake to wake down. No ballast in this video.

I think next time I will fill the stock 250 ballast and slow the boat down about 1mph to improve the wake.

Can someone help me with what I am doing wrong in form? Stand taller at the wake?
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-23-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
When ur edging in make it more progressive. After u carve out flatten off then turn in slow and let ur edge get harder as u get closer. Remember to keep your edge all the way through the wake and push off the top of the wake then bring your knees up. Always keep your shoulders relaxed and your handle as close to your hip as possible. That keeps the boat pulling you at your center of gravity
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-23-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
Is it better to watch the wake when you get ready to ride up it or not look at the wake your going to jump and keep your eyes on where you want to land?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-23-2012, 2:13 PM Reply   
I look at the launch wake until I'm on it, then shift to wherever else my attention goes. What kind of boat are you riding?
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-23-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
Slow the boat down, looks as though you're going 25-26 mph, so you can have better edge control on the wakeboard
Start with that and get back to us
as for where you look at, once you start your progression to the wake things happen so fast that looking at the approaching wake is over and it all in what you feel as you work up the wake, gotta feel the wake and then look where you're going, try to look past the point of where you will end up, better to think long and go long rather think short land short.
theres many more points to cover on the mechanics of wakeboarding, what you may need is personal lessons to progress without improper habits
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
Boat is a centurion elite v. Speed on perfect pass is 26.5 but last time I gps'd that it was actually more like 23.5. Regardless, I'm going to try it at a slower speed.

Thanks guys
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-23-2012, 5:02 PM Reply   
With perfect pass set to 23.8 on a Malibu VLX I ride at about 70 feet back, so do what snork said and slow the boat down.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
OK, so here is the background on the boat speed. When I started the season off, i had it set right at about 22.5 maybe? Seemed good at that speed with a few people in the boat. So I rode it at that speed for a few outings. I think maybe the rope was a little too long for that speed since looking back at a video on wife's phone, i was taking off JUST slightly in a washed out section. A few feet forward was a nice meaty wake.

Then I went out with wife and 2 buddies. We filled the stock 250lb tank and a 540lb sack. With the perfect pass at 23.5, the wake was junk. Video of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuo9mi9KWnY

Maybe the sack was off center, or my buddies were sitting all one side of the boat or something, but yeah, the video speaks for itself. Terrible wake.

So based on that experience, I thought that I should check the speed with a GPS and go from there. I found that the perfect pass was reading a bit high, and that 23.5 on PP was more like 20-21. So I was convinced that I was going too slow in this whole time, and set my perfect pass to 26.5 because that was GPS'd more around 23.5.

So I've ridden at 26.5 two times. The latter of which is posted in the original post. It felt pretty good both times, but after looking at the footage, it's pretty clear that it's too fast.

I'll play with it this weekend.

Last question for now, is the reason for slowing the boat down to improve the wake? Will it make it easier for me to stand tall since I won't be getting so much pull from the boat? What is it about slowing the boat down that I should see improve? I want to feel as if I should know what to expect when I get back out on the water.

Thanks!
Old     (V)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
so would it be safe to say shorter and slower?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
That 2nd vid the weighting in the boat is way off. Everything should be proportioned evenly. That explains the wake not being even. From what I can see in the second vid you are going too slow, if you add more weight you will need to speed up otherwise you will have wash again.

I usually run my SAN with a little over 2,000 lbs and I ride around 25 mph at 80 feet, wake is HUGE and clean. As far as speed goes you should fine tune it to where it starts to wash right behind where you will be hitting the wake. If it feels to fast pull the rope in.
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-31-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Dont forget to pop. Ur letting ur knees break at the wake. Push off the top of the wake like it's a diving board. And carve out as far as you can go so you have maximum time to get a good edge. From the looks of the second vid you almost have it
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-31-2012, 4:19 PM Reply   
appreciate the pointer ... hopefully i'll have a newer video with this all put to use after this weekend!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2012, 5:02 PM Reply   
In all your videos technique will help you most.In your last video your speed is too slow and you have too much weight on the starboard side. Move your weight to the side with the clean wake and increase speed if white wash is in your take off path.When you cut out do it in one powerful smooth move.Then settle down flat with no edge one way or the other.The boat will start to pull you back to the wake as it does gradually increase your edge so your most powerful edge is at the wake.Make sure the handle is near your leading hip and around waist high.You the push off the wake just like a diving board or a trampoline.The stiffer and straighter your body is the better reaction you get off the wake.I have a few videos on you tube under CWB4ME. I think there is one of a 70' wake jump at 23mph with no ballast.There is also one at 23mph on a 95' rope with no ballast.What this illustrates is you don't need weight you need technique.Hope this helps.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-31-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
Thanks! I'll check out your videos
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-04-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
no gopro footage from this weekend's session, but I think I am finally getting the pop down. Felt like I was getting great air. Wife even said it looked a lot better. I wish we hadn't forgotten the memory card for the go pro...figures

Thanks for the help!
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-04-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
In all your videos technique will help you most.In your last video your speed is too slow and you have too much weight on the starboard side. Move your weight to the side with the clean wake and increase speed if white wash is in your take off path.When you cut out do it in one powerful smooth move.Then settle down flat with no edge one way or the other.The boat will start to pull you back to the wake as it does gradually increase your edge so your most powerful edge is at the wake.Make sure the handle is near your leading hip and around waist high.You the push off the wake just like a diving board or a trampoline.The stiffer and straighter your body is the better reaction you get off the wake.I have a few videos on you tube under CWB4ME. I think there is one of a 70' wake jump at 23mph with no ballast.There is also one at 23mph on a 95' rope with no ballast.What this illustrates is you don't need weight you need technique.Hope this helps.
Have to disagree with you on the speed thing..... he's gotta slow it down till he develops more board control.... the face-plant at the end should confirm that.... ouch!
agree with the fact that he's cutting way to hard at the beginning.... sign up for learntowake.com $10 for a month and do some of the drills they have. it's well worth your money.
Old     (Tino3)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-11-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
Jamie is right learn wake is a great way to learn anything from the profecting your edge to wake to wake and even a whirly bir,d it's awesome! And I may be repeating some stuff other people said but I was just like this not too long ago. I found it best to stay around 22 (my prefered speed) and remember all the things that will shoot you across that wake. For me it was a progressive edge approaching the wake and right as your hitting the wake stand stall with the rope at your waist and make sure to spot that landing. With toeside it's the same for edging and standing tall but once you've left the wake drop that back hand and almost make your body concave but don't over exaggerate this motion otherwise you will faceplant. Once you get the feel for it all those things it will just become second nature and you'll be on to the next thing! Goodluck!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatowski View Post
Have to disagree with you on the speed thing..... he's gotta slow it down till he develops more board control.... the face-plant at the end should confirm that.... ouch!
agree with the fact that he's cutting way to hard at the beginning.... sign up for learntowake.com $10 for a month and do some of the drills they have. it's well worth your money.
What is board control?[technique] If he has white wash he needs to shift weight or speed up. What happens when you speed up? Distance from wake to wake gets closer also wake gets harder. Did you watch my videos? They were on a 95' rope at 23 mph with NO weight in the boat. That takes technique and commitment.I went to the Wakeboard Camp and i use their drills.Speed is irrelevant ,you need a clean wake to get maximum force from the wake.You also need a solid edge to create force to react from that wake.The edging drills improve your edge control[technique] speed doesn't stop you from clearing the wake,it just effects your technique used to approach the wake.It's much harder to clear a wider mushy wake than a slimmer hard wake.
Old     (Tino3)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-11-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   
But if you go too fast the wake gets flat and I think that was also an issue here. They just need to get the feel of what a good wake should look like and what length to have the rope at. Or, i could be wrong beucase it's filmed with a gopro from 60 feel away..
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-12-2012, 3:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino3 View Post
But if you go too fast the wake gets flat and I think that was also an issue here. They just need to get the feel of what a good wake should look like and what length to have the rope at. Or, i could be wrong beucase it's filmed with a gopro from 60 feel away..
They are not going fast enough for either side of the wake to clean up. In the Wakeboard camp they stressed a clean wake for edging drills and learning to jump.They also stressed going slow if your trying a new technique to minimize the fall.I think the reason the OP fell in the video is because of the rough water and his aggressive riding style.He just needs to slow down his board at the peak of his cut and do a progressive cut into the wake.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-12-2012, 4:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino3 View Post
T J i see you boat at Lake Anna.So do i ,if you want to ride sometime PM me.
Old     (Tino3)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-12-2012, 5:06 AM Reply   
Yes I do, I will definitely take you up on that sometime. Thanks!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-12-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
Hey Tom you should come take a set with us. We are about the same skill level on our baot. Would love to take a look at your wake too. Weird you are getting that much wash. I ride at like 65 at 19.5 with 900lbs+plenty of live weight and mine just seems alot cleaner than that.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-12-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
Hey Tom you should come take a set with us. We are about the same skill level on our baot. Would love to take a look at your wake too. Weird you are getting that much wash. I ride at like 65 at 19.5 with 900lbs+plenty of live weight and mine just seems alot cleaner than that.
I'd love to take you up on that.

I've finally go the wake pretty well dialed in I think. Running 540 sacs in the rear lockers and 250 in the belly. Would like to put another sac in the bow, but that will have to wait for available funds. My perfect pass seems to read a lot differently than friends' boats. So I am running it at 26mph, but that is more like 23mph it seems. At 65 and 70 feet, the wake is clean and steep. Without the sacs in the rear lockers, I can run it at 24.5-25.5 and still have it nice and clean.

Like I said, always up for taking sets with other people. Let me know when you're going out some time.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-12-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
Guessing you are running paddle wheel then. I run stargazer in mine so its alil more accurate. I run 500 in the back, 400 in the front, and usually 6 or 7 people+ coolers. My wake cleans out at 19 on the dot so I run about 19.5 or 20 depending on conditions. My wake seems to be ALOT wider than yours though which is the problem Im having.

No prob man. I have zero capable drivers in my wheelhouse besides me so having someone who can drive taking sets with us is a huge plus. I wont be out this weekend unless its with the kids but no kids the weekend of the 23rd and 30th. Sure we'll be out both days on both weekends. I usually try to get out early or late around 4
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-12-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
I'll be around the weekend of the 23rd. I think on the weekend of the 30th I'll be camping out on the lake so I should have 2 boats out that weekend.

If the wake is too wide, try speeding up a little bit.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-12-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
x9 just produces a wider wake by nature. I might try to speed it up alil but like it nice and slow