Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
Sup peoples. I'm just going to use the standard form I've seen in a couple other threads. I'm the primary rider, I'm 6'5" and 230lbs. I see myself as more of a surf style rider, carving and trying to get air. I do want to learn how to turn 3's, shuvs and what not. I currently ride a 5'6" Broadcast.

1) Is price a factor? Yes, but not if it affects the quality and caliber of the board.
2) Is made in the USA a factor? No
3) Is hand made a factor? No
4) Are graphics important? Im not gonna pick a board just cause it looks cool but it would be nice for it to look good. Copied answer here, hell I wouldn't even care if it was used.
5) Is durability a factor? (some surfboard construction is almost delicate compared to a wakeboard) Yes, it would need to be durable.
6) Is fitting in a wakeboard rack important? No
7) Will you be the only one riding this board or will it be communal or will you teach others with it? If so - ages, weight and size of the other folks. We will keep the Broadcast for teaching people and for the wife, until she needs something new. But the other rider's who might be using it all fit in the 200lber category.
8) Do you mind buying it online, or is it important that you buy it at your local pro shop? It doesn't matter.
9) Do you have an concerns with material used in construction, for example it has to be epoxy, or no wood? No

and finally

10) How do you see yourself riding it...do you have a skate background where you want to do shuv's or possibly a longboard background where you want to hang 10?
Looking for a surf style board, with the option to do basic surface tricks, 3's and maybe 1 day a shuv.

Thanks again, your suggestions are appreciated.
Old    surfdad            05-09-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
Nice job with the detailed info. I appreciate the efforts you've made. The shuv one day - how important is that to you? I'm going to presume it's not, at this point. If you find later that it is, you're better off looking for a board that has a more traditional skim shape. The reason being is that most surf style boards will have 2 or three fins and when the board is revert there is a tendency for the fins to grab the wake, making learning that trick more difficult.

6'5" and 230 is a BIG guy...it's funny I once read in the surfing community an average rider is around 150 pounds.

You have a few options to look at. Smedman is shaping some outstanding looking boards the Wombat and Warthog models are worth checking out. I'm somewhat concerned about your durability statement - EPS and Epoxy boards still pressure dent. So I'd be sure to talk about that clearly.

TWP has a stock size 5.0" comp x that will handle your size and it's very sturdy. My buddy Dennis rides that board frequently behind our boat and he is in the 275 pound range. It's fast and agile, I've not seen any pressure dents in Dennis' board. I've enjoyed riding it.

IS makes the Blue in the 5'4" length. Excellent quality and finish. It's the longest board of the bunch at 5'4"...they are tough to beat in terms of quality.

Shred Stixx makes two boards one is the JaMako, the other is the Stixxstreme. Both are designed for bigger folks. IMO, and this isn't universal, the Stixxstreme winged fish is a better ride for bigger guys.

Surface 3's are mostly a matter of technique and each of these boards can do them. Shorter boards tend to spin easier, so keep that in mind.

All but the IS use aftermarket replaceable fins - so you can buy different fins and try them on your board. IS manufactures their own and have only a few sizes to choose from.

The IS has a thin veneer of wood under the surface and will be the most durable of the bunch, also the heaviest.

It also seems that new offers are springing up as the season gets closer...you might check for new products being offered. I also can't recommend any of the major 3 molded boards as they aren't much different than what you are currently riding.

I wish that you could get your feet on all of those...that truly is the best way to make a decision. If I were you, test what you can and call each of these folks and talk with them. Hopefully that narrows your choices down somewhat.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Old    surfdad            05-09-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
I forgot! I am an organizer...I solicit products for prizes from everyone with a heartbeat. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
Nice post and reply.
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-10-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, between your reply and others and talking to Mike Walker on the phone, I picked up the TWP Composite X 5.0 LE from WO. IMO this was the best deal on a true wakesurf board that was surfstyle.

I wish testing or demo was an option, but its just not out here on the right coast.

Thanks again.
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-01-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
TWP Comp-X 5.0 LE finally came in Friday.

Upload
Upload
Upload

First ride today was nothing short of pure awesome.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-02-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
Let me know when you have room for one more on the boat. I would love to get out one day with you guys behind that MB.