Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    xwind            06-30-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
Hi there !
Ok..now I have a phase5 Icon that me and my girlfrien love ! (me 160lbs her 110lbs)...but for beginners, friends..and bigger friends :-), this board is not easy !
So we also have an old O'Brien Woody 5'5 for beginners but this board pearl (nose dive) like crazy !!
Now I can have a good deal on the LF Skimskate but really don't know witch one to choose...
I want a board me and my girlfriend will have fun on (agility) but also not too small for beginners...
Do you think the 4'6 will be really too small for beginners and friends 180-200 lbs?

Thanx!
Luc
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-30-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
I've got the 4'6" Skimskate and I'm about 195 lbs or so. I can only ride it behind my bros heavily weighted 21V that throws a monster wake for surfing. I can't ride it behind my smaller wake on my 19' DD, which sucks because I love that board! I'm stuck w/the Landlock behind my boat.

I wouldn't reccomned the Skimskate for begineers or a small wake as it requires a lot of work. However it is way fun and breaks loose easily.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2005, 8:24 AM Reply   
I just tried my 5'0" Skimskate for the first time this past weekend, and I couldn't ride without the rope. Granted it was my first time surfing, but it was frustrating as heck. I've read good things about that board, and I have high expectations, but it's gonna take more work that I first thought.

BTW, I'm 6'4", 235 lbs.

Daniel
Old    xwind            07-14-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
Any other opinion on wich skimskate?
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-14-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
I've been using the 5'6 broadcast but tried the 4'6 skimskate this past weekend and loved it. I'm 150lbs. But we're about boarding the edge of where you want to be weight wise for it. Friends at 200 lbs will be too big for it, particularly if they're beginngers.

Lighter beginners may be ok with it, especially depending upon your wake. I found the board became a lot easier to ride when we went from 7 in the boat to 12 (oh man, what a wake that was!!)
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2005, 6:53 AM Reply   
I'm 180lbs and riding a 4'6 skimskate. It took me a while before I found the sweetspot of the skate. But now I've got it, I can ride it behind every boat which doesn't require extra weighting.