Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (airjordan175)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-03-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
is 10 gauge wire big enough to use for the power to a 600 watt amp

the amp is about 2 feet from the battery
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
I have 8 going to both my amps
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-03-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
What kind of amp. And what does the manual say for the size wire to use? I would go with what that says no matter what the distance from the battery is. You dont want to undersize your wire and try to push too much current through it cuz then it will overheat and cause other problems.
Old     (airjordan175)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-03-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
i went to my local autozone (which isnt saying much)

but the biggest they had was 10
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Not if it's a real 600 watts CES 2006 compliant. I would (do) use 4 guage for a 600 watt amp.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-03-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Blake, never go to autozone. They are the biggest bunch of ass clowns on earth. If you can't give them a year, make and model that can't find anything. You are much better off going to a Napa.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-03-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
And are you planning on running just the 1 amp or are you planning on adding more?

If your planning on adding more get 1/0 Gauge and run it to a distrbution block then run the correct size wire from there to the 600 watt amp. And do the same for the ground. Will make for a cleaner install in the end.

Oh for your wire go to any car stereo store or any electronic store (best buy, circuit city, fry's) they will have amp kits there. Your local car stereo store should cut the lengths of power and ground wire you need.

(Message edited by thesack on July 03, 2008)
Old     (airjordan175)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-03-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
can i ground the amp to the battery, if no, were else should i ground it
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-03-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Yes, the best ground is at your battery.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-03-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
Blake, please don't take offense to this, but based on the questions you are aksing, you would be best to take it to a stereo installer and get it done right.

The last thing you want to do is use inferior wiring or hook it up wrong and risk haveing it do damage to your boat.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-03-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
I'm with Murphy, I have hooked up an amo and turned the key to see smoke start coming out of the amp, I can work on cars and all but car audio is another animal, and you have expensive parts to go bad real quick if you hook it up wrong, or god forbid start a fire inside your boat,

But when I wired my amp i went to the stereo shop and got good car audio branded 4ga. for my amps, you get what you pay for, some may say wire is wire, but I want to only do it once the right way!!
Old     (airjordan175)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-03-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
i went and got the wire gauge it suggested, im good on that

but in between the negative and positive power there is a remote power, and im not hooking this to a headunit, so i got a toggle switch, what do i hook it to

and im not going to take it to get installed by someone else, lack of money and im taking my time, thats why im asking questions
Old     (airjordan175)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-03-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
by the way im hookign it to a i-pod through an adapter
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-03-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
If you got a toggle, you can hook that remote power to any always-on or switched 12v lead. If you choose not to toggle, hook it to a switched lead so your amp doesn't just stay on all the time.

However, before you go any further...

http://www.bcae1.com/

Read up, because as was said, there's a lot going on that you have to make sure is done right...no one likes to see their brand new toy catch fire :/

BTW, get at least 8ag, if not 4.
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-03-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
Try a welding supply shop for large cable.....