Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-23-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
So i just bought a Ronix Cortez and its a nice board but has some design flaws. It is was it is but I need it to be a tad more....... Anyways I'll give a small review of the board and then get into what I changed. First the board is great for teaching family /friends how to ride anything farther than that and your s.o.l. The board being made like a wakeboard is part of the problem, the rails are hard from tip to tail . Meaning they are square or right angled. It would of been better to soften the rails from the nose back about alittle past mid board than transition to a harder edge rail. Next its a thruster (3 fin) swallow tail, the board comes with front fins that are 13/4 tall and center fin thats 3.5 inches. Thats retarded, I have been surfing for 26 yrs (the Gulf of Mexico) and never seen a fin setup like that on a board that is used to surf. The fins give you drive going forward and drive out of turns you aint generating anything with those little pis-ant fins lol. So this led to my experiment I have a 9'6'' Fry long board with an extra set of O'fish'l fins so I decided to drill and tap them and mount them on the Ronix, Well it worked like a champ and now the board should generate a little more speed. I also have the option to remove the center fin and replace with the little 13/4 to loosen it up a bit, we'll see. Gonna hit it tomorrow so I'll post up what I find.
Old    surfdad            06-23-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
Loved this:

with front fins that are 13/4 tall and center fin thats 3.5 inches. Thats retarded

I'm still laughing. Cool 'mod, I hope it works for you!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-23-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
I have the same board and I'm disappointed in it as well. The rails are sharp all the way to the nose and lends itself to nose dive and is hard to recover from, especially for lighter riders.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-23-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdad View Post
Loved this:

with front fins that are 13/4 tall and center fin thats 3.5 inches. Thats retarded

I'm still laughing. Cool 'mod, I hope it works for you!
Hopefully it will work and be something that some of these other cats with a Cortez can do themselves. I knew what I was getting but needed to be able to have something momma and the kids could enjoy also, once I get them hooked I can move on to shaping my own or buying a higher end board. When momma is happy everyone is happy lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I have the same board and I'm disappointed in it as well. The rails are sharp all the way to the nose and lends itself to nose dive and is hard to recover from, especially for lighter riders.
It was the first problem I noticed, The first thing I told my wife was how they eff'd up the rails, but like I said above I had to get something everyone could ride.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-23-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
I think this board would really benefit from a little more rocker in the nose to help beginners from digging in
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-23-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
I think this board would really benefit from a little more rocker in the nose to help beginners from digging in
Yea I thought that also, but when you add rocker it tends to slow it down a bit. This board doesn't need to be any slower. I still have fun but it has a lot of room for improvement . If that can be accomplished? we'll see tomorrow.....
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-24-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
I just bought the 2010 Koal 5' and immediatley took off the two outside 1.75" fins and roll with just the center fin. I think its 2.5" Is that not normal to have the outside fins shorter then the center? I wonder how it might ride with two outside fins at 2.5" or taller. I really like the one fin set up, but I think it might not be as fast. What do you think would be the fastest fin configuration.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
looks like they are using a wakeboard style fin, hole pattern should be pretty standard. If you check a wake shop they might have some larger fins laying around from the wackboards used in the the olden days (mid 90's). My waketech big air had a 3.5" surfdog fin
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-25-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Well I was able to test the fin setup yesterday and wow, just wow. Totally woke this board up 100% better. The board will actually generate speed now. Tracking was spot on but was loose enough for 1 failed attempt at a float lol. I could also break the fins loose for my 360 attempts. I set the fins up with normal surfboard fins in front with the little 13/4 fin in the center. If I can get my hands on another 3.5 ronix fin I might try that setup in front if not I will keep it the way I have it now. Also my wife and little girl had no problems with control so thats a plus. I'll post a pic of the setup in a few.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-25-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
As you can see in the pic those fins belong in a fin box. They worked just fine. I would suggest to anyone that has a Ronix Cortez and you want to make the board better? Go get you 2 more of the 3.5 fins that came with the board. You can run all 3 for more traction or run like I did in the pic. Anyways hope this helps some of you guys that have a Cortez and are a little disappointed in it.
Old     (frozone)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-19-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
Are you referring to a 5'4" Cortez in these posts? I'm looking at a Cortez for my younger kids and other newbies so they don't beat up my Grindwater Ginsu. I want the most versatile, fun compression molded board out there, it looks like the Cortez could do the trick with the fin mods here but I'm still struggling with size. 5'4" would probably give me the most range, but I want it to work for the 90 to 140 lb set as well as any bigger riders who might want to try. I don't want to buy a board for guests per se, but I also don't want newbies learning on a $600 fiberglass board.

Nobody in my family is bigger than me at 180lbs. Would they have fun on bigger Cortez? Or should I go smaller and just let bigger guests stuggle on a 4'8". Or should I be looking at something different all together?
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2010, 2:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
... The rails are sharp all the way to the nose and lends itself to nose dive and is hard to recover from, especially for lighter riders.
Thats totally crazy " lends itself to nose dive"
Old     (Ridebutter)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-16-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
just ordered another 3.5 fin to use as side fins....can't wait to try it out!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
I got a hookup on one of these boards and replaced our CWB Ride with it. It doesn't really ride any different than the Ride does...pretty boring. Where did you order those fins from? Any way to put some cant on them?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-16-2011, 4:57 PM Reply   
Plastic bend easily with heat, vice heat gun and a wrench should bend them to the desired angle.