Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-04-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
Trying to see how many people on here are from around Smith Lake in Alabama. We just bought a place up there at Silver Rock Cove.
Old     (zeketheplumber)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-11-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
We go up to clear creek a good bit, but I don't think that's very close to you.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-11-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Well glad to find someone on here. I have only been to the lake once and it rained the whole time so I did not get a chance to check it out. I just bought a 2008 Supra sunsport 22v and cant wait to get out there. Is there any good places to eat on the water?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
I'm right around the corner from Silver Rock!

Our place is on CR 938, where you go past the Dead End sign, I take the right. By water we are just around the bend Upstream from Silver Rock.

Look for a grey and red Ski Nautique 2001 with Extended Pylon this summer and flag me down.

Better yet, ride up my way and pull up to the dock and share a beer with us
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
To answer your other question, there arent any convenient places to eat on this part of the lake that you would get to by boat. There is the restraunt at Ryan Creek Marina, but thats almost an hour or better by boat, but less than 10 minutes by car.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-11-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Good deal Chris. I will ride up and look for you. Our place is still being built but they said will be finished by May 31st or sooner. They are supposed to have the boat storage finished in a few weeks so if it is I might go ahead and take it up so we can still go out before our place is done. I will be in a black Supra. Right now with no graphics but they are supposed to come put them on when they get them in stock. Only thing I do not like about Smith lake so far is it is a dry county. You have to have beer on the lake.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
You learn real quick to stock up before hand. We usually keep an emergency case or two just in case.

I need to drive over there and check out the new phase. I know that there is a guy with a brand new red / white Malibu at Silver Rock, I saw the boat out a few times last summer, but never saw any boards or riders so I dont know if he is just a cruiser or what.

Like I said come on up and look for us. Double slip covered dock, big wooden statue of an eagle on the top corner. Nautique in one slip, usually a blue bass boat in the other. White house and fence.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-12-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
Sounds like a plan. We are in the phase 2 row homes. we will definatley have to have a beer sometime. Maybe we can hit a wake or two. I am new to wakeboarding, this will be my 2nd summer trying. Could use some tips.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-14-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
I am not from alabama...I am from Mississippi...but I absolutely love smith lake...got a couple trips planned this summer already..
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-15-2010, 5:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetracked3 View Post
Sounds like a plan. We are in the phase 2 row homes. we will definatley have to have a beer sometime. Maybe we can hit a wake or two. I am new to wakeboarding, this will be my 2nd summer trying. Could use some tips.
I'm fairly new to boarding myself. This will be my 2nd summer with my own gear, 3rd year learning. We will probably be putting the boat in around easter start looking for us on the water.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-15-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeisel42 View Post
I am not from alabama...I am from Mississippi...but I absolutely love smith lake...got a couple trips planned this summer already..
You will have to post up when you get ready to make the trip. Maybe several of us can meet up to ride for an afternoon or something.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-15-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
sounds like a plan to me.
Old     (zeketheplumber)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-15-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
I'd be interested in meeting up also.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-16-2010, 5:19 AM Reply   
Chuck - you say you usually ride around Clear Creek? Where do you put in at?
Old     (zeketheplumber)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
At the campground. I trailer the boat back and forth everyday so I'm open to going anywhere. I'm just not familiar with many parts of the lake because of it's size. I've been to the other end around smith lake park, but it was always really crowded the times I went and couldn't find any good water.
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-16-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
LD leave these good people alone! Ha! But seriously my family has a house on Rock Creek close to the marina. I will be there a week in June and a week in July and probally some weekends scattered throughout summer. I just like it better during the week so mostly ride back in MS on the weekends.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-16-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeketheplumber View Post
At the campground. I trailer the boat back and forth everyday so I'm open to going anywhere. I'm just not familiar with many parts of the lake because of it's size. I've been to the other end around smith lake park, but it was always really crowded the times I went and couldn't find any good water.

Which campground? Corinth or Houston?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-16-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06aw View Post
LD leave these good people alone! Ha! But seriously my family has a house on Rock Creek close to the marina. I will be there a week in June and a week in July and probally some weekends scattered throughout summer. I just like it better during the week so mostly ride back in MS on the weekends.
Sounds like your not too far from our place. Near Rock Creek Marina? We are up past Baileys bridge in Crooked.
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4gill2 View Post
Sounds like your not too far from our place. Near Rock Creek Marina? We are up past Baileys bridge in Crooked.
I ride up Swayback early before the crowd sometimes but go to Brushy Creek most of the time. We are on the point that you go around right past the marina if you are going back to the main river, 2nd house on right after going around point. If there is a black and white Centurion on the lift I'm there. Stop in sometime.
Old     (zeketheplumber)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Which campground? Corinth or Houston?
Clear Creek Campground
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-17-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06aw View Post
I ride up Swayback early before the crowd sometimes but go to Brushy Creek most of the time. We are on the point that you go around right past the marina if you are going back to the main river, 2nd house on right after going around point. If there is a black and white Centurion on the lift I'm there. Stop in sometime.

Brushy is my favorite part of the lake. I'll look for you when i'm down that way this summer.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-17-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
You will have to show me the best places to ride at down there. Also when does the water start to warm up?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-18-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
I rode mostly right there in Crooked last year. The north end is the only good water around on busy weekends it seems like. I'm still searching for a some longer runs of good water. Little Rock Creek is pretty good too.

Water temps will depend alott on how much more rain we get. Might take a while to get comfortable this year.
Old     (rbrandon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-22-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
We come over a few weekends a year. Sometimes we stay at Lakeshore Inn up Sipsey, and sometimes we stay with Rod and his family (really don't like Rod just a free pad)

Just kidding Rod don't get your panties in a bunch
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-23-2010, 5:19 AM Reply   
We need to set up a map that letseveryone post their locations. Can you do that on Google? where multiple people can post locations?
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-24-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Thats ok Brandon. I just tolerate you to be able to ride behind the Axis! Ha! I still haven't figured out why I put up with LD
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-05-2010, 5:49 AM Reply   
We were down in Crooked this weekend. The water level is at full pool, and was like glass a good part of the weekend. There is a ton of trash and debris floating though. Looks like someone replaced their dock and pulled all the styrofoam up onto shore while the water was low. Evidenlty not high enough becasue there were 6-8 large blocks floating around as well as a ton of trash, toys, etc. I cleaned up what i could reach, but I dont thin k Imade a dent.
Old     (zeketheplumber)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-05-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
We were down in Crooked this weekend. The water level is at full pool, and was like glass a good part of the weekend. There is a ton of trash and debris floating though. Looks like someone replaced their dock and pulled all the styrofoam up onto shore while the water was low. Evidenlty not high enough becasue there were 6-8 large blocks floating around as well as a ton of trash, toys, etc. I cleaned up what i could reach, but I dont thin k Imade a dent.
How was the water temp?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-05-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
cold. I didnt have a thermo, but I'd say mid 50's probably. The kids jumped off of the dock, but got out pretty quick and were already turning blue. Looks like its going to be a while still for it to warm up this year.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-26-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
I rode down to the lake Sunday afternoon to check on things after that big storm system went through on Saturday. Our pla was fine, didnt even blow over a resin chair on the dock.

We then went down to Silverrock and noticed a few small trees were uproted near the road on the way in but nothing major. They did have a leg of the dock break loose, it was pulled up on the boat ramp, not sure if that was done Sat or earlier though. The Boat storage looks like its finished, and the new houses ar ecomign along pretty good from the looks fo things.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-26-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
Yeah, I was up Sunday too. First time I took my boat out. The water has a lot of debris in it. We tried putting in at Arrowhead Marina but it was really bad. So we went back to Ryan Creek and put in there. We went by Silver rock too, they are coming along. The boat storage is not quite done yet so we are leaving our boat at Ryan creek until its ready. We only went out for a few hours but I think we are going back out this Saturday for the whole day.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-26-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
I plan on putting my boat in Saturday. Hopeing to get a set or two in during the afternoon. There is usually a good bit of debris especially in Crooked after a good rain, and there was plenty of that Saturday. It clears out fast though, In fact by Sun around noon there wasn't anything around our place save for one large floating log out in the middle.

What problems did you have at Arrowhead? I havent been down there since early last summer, but typically when the water is at full pool we dont have any trouble there. You do need to stay at idle speed until you get around the point though.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-26-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Heath - Could you not launch at Silverrock? or is lack of parking an issue there?
Old     (JDubs)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys just ran across this thread so hello to all the smith lake peeps. I live in cullman, i used to ride smith all the time but we found a little somewhat private lake and got access to it. It is 10 min from the 157 exit in Cullman. If any of you want to come ride hit me up. Water is always glass and I am the only boat out there. I have a loaded down super air so i can make the wake any size you want. I'm always up for riding with new people so come anytime. I try to ride about 3 afternoons a week or mid day on saturday.
Old     (zeketheplumber)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-03-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
I'll take you up on that offer. I'm good for an afternoon trip if you've got room.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Sure thing broseph. We rode after work today. Ticked off a few fisherman. All in all we had a great day. It was just me and a friend today so I really coulda used a 3rd. I am going back out thur and or fri afternoon. Hit me up if you wanna ride. I am going to message you my cell number.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
Alright, why can't I send a private message. I click on send message and it just shows a profile
send me an email if you want to ride. jward@dynasplint.com
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-05-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
No you cant launch at Silver rock. The launch is set up for the forklift only. So I was going to put in at arrowhead but that was the day after the big storm and it was flooded and had debris everywhere. So for now I am going to just leave it at Ryan Creek till I know Silver rock is ready. They should be just about done. But I would rather wait till they work out all the bugs. My boat would of been the first one stored there so I wanted to give them a little more time. Our place is getting close to being finished so we should be down almost every weekend soon. I will let you know when we get down and set up so we can meet up one day.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-05-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
Heath, is ryan creek still selling nautiques? I heard they had gone out of business.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-05-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
Heath, Sounds good. I put mine in last weekend.

JDub, They were still open at Easter. I havent heard anything about them closing.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Not sure if anyone will be around, but me and several friends have a house rented out at the mouth of clear creek for memorial day weekend. we will be in one maybe 2 sans and a black and yellow vlx. Stop buy and say hello. We should be grilling all weekend and riding early morning and late afternoons. Hopefully we can find some smooth water from time to time.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-06-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
yea they are still selling nautiques. They have a nice one inside right now. But they are no longer selling Supra's. They are behind on their bill. I think they are having management problems. I am new to the lake so I am not sure where Clear Creek is. Is it close to Ryans marina?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-06-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Clear creek is almost at the opposite end of the lake from Ryan Creek. Its shoots off of Brushy to the West about half way up Brushy.
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
Here all week!
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-17-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Rod, sorry I missed you last week. Pretty much any other week this summer and I would have been down at least a day or two. First of June is when we typically do our beach trip to see family in FL.