Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-09-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Hey,
so I'm an old guy who rides, and I'm recovering from a different injury (MTB accident), and I'm wondering about switching to a flex type of board to project my knees next season.
I'm currently riding a CWB Transcend and have really enjoyed this board. It's fast enough for me, good pop, and nice landings, but a riding buddy switched recently to LF Watson Hybrid and loves it.
I stink, but enjoy riding, going w2w both sides, and a 180, and landed on my head a few times trying a tantrum.
Any ideas out there?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-09-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
I fall into the Old Guy Category now-a-days. For the Past 10 years I have ridden the O'brien Player, Natural, and Decade. Last year I made the Jump to Sean O'brien's, O'brien Paradigm and will never go back. Great Speed, Great Pop, and Buttery soft landings! Just all around a super fun board to ride. This year I will be on the O'brien Baker, Flex board with molded fins.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-09-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
It really depends on the board. I ride an old Slingshot Recoil and I find that the softness of the flex in the landings is generally offset by the huge rocker and completely smooth bottom. It lands like a brick on straight up-and-down spins, but I still love it. Do your research and don't buy anything you haven't demoed. I definitely think there are some benefits to be had for a guy like you if you make the switch to flex.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-09-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
OMG jack. You described me right down to the board. I too ride a transcend and love it but am wondering if there is something i am missing as i dodder into the silver years. Let me know how you fair.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-09-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
I'm an old guy. But I don't know anything about flex boards. Come to think of it, I don't know anything about any new designs in the last 11 years.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-09-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
well, lets see, a lot of riders who rode for hyperlite found out they sucked so they went on and in most every case improved on their signature wakeboards.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       12-09-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
The soft landings will definitely be easier on your body. Along with Andy, I'd highly recommend the O'Brien Paradigm, or the O'Brien Baker. I have rode the O'Brien Paradigm and can say that I loved it. The landings were amazing, I got super nice pop out of it, it was an all around amazing board. Next year I'm looking forward to the Baker. If you want a flex board but don't like the idea of super flexible, go with the Baker. It's stiffer then the Paradigm, but still has flex to it. The molded in fins will really change the game and help you with a more aggressive cut and hold the cut more. However, if you want to ride a non-flex board, that still has soft landings, I say ride the O'Brien Format. The board has pop like no other progressive rocker I've ridden, but the landings are still amazing. Any of those three I can guarantee you'd love,
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-09-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
I too am an older guy... I have been riding an O'brien Coda, love the pop and the landings are nice and soft. I am waiting to try my new Paradigm, and from what I hear will not be disappointed. I was possibly going to try an O'brien Decade as well.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-10-2011, 12:05 AM Reply   
have only rode slingshot boards and Love 'em.

firm believer of flex when it comes to forgiving landings. also believe in center spines too like on the transcend you currently ride. i am super curious what it would be like to ride a board with both flex and spine features.

riding flex boards are so fun IMO. going for a flat bottomed flex board will also open up the world of surface tricks which may or may not interest you. like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COThs...tKhYRzHSaw8dd1 Zucky is the MAN! i doubt anyone can find a rider who can make wakeboarding look more fun without the big air jumps (he can go big too) like Zucky. Zucky has been around for a while and would also classify as an "old guy" too
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-10-2011, 2:25 AM Reply   
Flex is awesome for the simple fact of it feels more fun..... and to me, thats the most important feature.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-10-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COThs...tKhYRzHSaw8dd1 Zucky is the MAN! i doubt anyone can find a rider who can make wakeboarding look more fun without the big air jumps (he can go big too) like Zucky. Zucky has been around for a while and would also classify as an "old guy" too
That is sick! Mad respect to this guy! I love surface tricks and it's really inspiring to see someone take it to that level, especially behind the boat. Very stylish and it looks super fun too! I do some of these presses/slides on the cable. Maybe one day I'll keep the fins off and try some behind the boat.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-10-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
I'm an old guy.I've had a Transcend.I currently ride a CWB Marius behind the boat and a Watson hybrid cable.I would rate the Marius and Watson equal on landings.The watson is a tick faster and has more straight up pop than the Marius.My Marius is a 2011 and my Watson is a 2010.I guess you could say i get a little air.
Attached Images

Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       12-10-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
I love watching Zucky ride. It is really hard to find someone that uses the wake and flats more like a canvas than he does.

I had to chuckle when I saw this post because its such a great question that so many are asking as more and more of us are realistic how we have to approach riding as we age.

I'll be 32 in the next riding season. I know I've got more years to push things a bit, but I want to continue to look at ways to do it as wisely as possible, which is why I'm going Slingshot sooner than later. The tough thing is wanting to avoid the wet noodle aspect of some flex boards but retain the benefits by finding enough flex. Ballistic or not is my question. Heck, bring it Obrien guys I'll consider the paradigm too!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-11-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
Nice job robert, pic says it all! that CWB board produces great pop! don't see any pics of the flex board with that pop, just a bunch of talk.
anyway make sure you demo any board before you buy it!
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-11-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
+1 on Zucky's riding.... effortless
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-11-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
Robert, that pop you got off the wake looks really good.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-11-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2up10 View Post
The tough thing is wanting to avoid the wet noodle aspect of some flex boards but retain the benefits by finding enough flex. Ballistic or not is my question. Heck, bring it Obrien guys I'll consider the paradigm too!
I don't think you'll have this "wet noodle" problem with any of the new-ish Slingshots. My 2010 Recoil is much softer than anything in the current Slinghot line except maybe the Choice, which I haven't had a chance to try yet, and it still delivers huge pop. I think that bad feeling comes from bad design and bad flex control, not from the overall stiffness/softness of the board.

The Paradigm is a sick board and noticeably faster than my 3-stage Recoil, but it isn't quite as fun as the Slingy. It's a lot stiffer: definitely a hybrid.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-11-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
FWIW, I have an older Slingshot Recoil and I think it's one of the hardest landing boards I have ever ridden. The only way to really soften it up is to land really tail heavy. I think spinned and channeled boards land much softer than a featureless bottom board...flex or no flex. That being said, nothing slides like a Slingshot!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-11-2011, 6:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
FWIW, I have an older Slingshot Recoil and I think it's one of the hardest landing boards I have ever ridden. The only way to really soften it up is to land really tail heavy. I think spinned and channeled boards land much softer than a featureless bottom board...flex or no flex. That being said, nothing slides like a Slingshot!
Ya, for those who don't wanna read the whole thread, I agree with everything you're saying.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-12-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
So flexboards pop harder, land softer, hit terrain better and are more fun to ride than other boards.

Hook, line and sinker...+1 for slingshot marketing.

They are great boards, but they are not magical.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-12-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
curious anyone ridden any of the balistic boards from slingshot aka hooke/newton and the much praised Obrienm Paradigm??? Wonder how they compare.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-12-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Robert, that pop you got off the wake looks really good.
I'm an old pop,but still have a little pop left in me.LOL Can't hang with the young bucks though.They make me look like an old man.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-12-2011, 10:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
Nice job robert, pic says it all! that CWB board produces great pop! don't see any pics of the flex board with that pop, just a bunch of talk.
anyway make sure you demo any board before you buy it!
look up some of the riding Randall did before getting his pro model with company.
or some of the first footy of Gabe shredding the vibe behind the boat when it first came out made by CWB