Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
so i bought a used pair of Defcon 4 reference series... the driver has been replaced to the image dynamics driver, and the crossover was changed to the image dynamics crossover that skylon supplied to me ( 4 ohm).

how much power per speaker do you think?

this kicker amp Bridged puts out 325W X 2 at (4 ohm)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ob0aHAq...r-ZX650-4.html

i just need alittle guidance before i purchase and if this is going to be to much power?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
So what is your total impedence per complete speaker? 2 or 4 ohms?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
well see this i dont know... the crossover states (4ohm) on it, the driver has nothing on it and the horn doesnt say either.

so im assuming 4ohm
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
well you sold them too me, and the old crossovers were (2 ohm)

and the new ones that skylon sent me are (4 ohm), the only thing im worried about is the crossover is ment to be pared with the ID chameleon drives, i dont think the kicker.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
Put an ohm metter on the terminals and measure your total resistance. The amp does not care what brand the speakers are. Only the total impedence of the combined load.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
anyone?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
well i have no power going to them so how do i measure the impedance?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Find someone that has an Ohm meter, You can buy a cheap one at Radio shack or home depot or Sears. Put the positive lead from the meter onto the positive wire from the speaker. Likewise with the negative lead from the meter to the negetive terminal on the speaker. This reading will tell you the ohm load or resistance of what you now have. Then you will know what you need out of an amp.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
gotcha, im figuring though its going to be 4 ohms becuase thats what the crossover will run
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
if it were 4 ohm would that amp have enough power?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-06-2010, 7:23 PM Reply   
My guess is that you will have a 2 Ohm load at the amp. So bridging that amp is OUT
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
I think your gonna end up with a 2 ohm load also, but don't wanna assume. If so go with a big 2 channel that can run 2ohm stable, I had a fosgate 800.2 running those before. 400 watts a piece a 2 ohms. It's still for sale.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
so the crossover has nothing to do with the impedance, even though it says 4 ohms on it? im sorry for my pack of stereo knowledge. i want to match the right amp to these speakers, i am just used to looking at the package they came in and going with a match that way. now that these speakers are a little pieced together im trying to figure it out.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
so what would make the amp run at an impediance at two Ohms if the specs say bridges 335 X2 at 4 ohms?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
The speaker will designate what the amp runs at. That is why we need to know the total impedence of the complete package all wired to together. The crossover probably says 4 ohm becuase it is for a 4 ohm driver network, but when combined , depending how the crossover is designed your impedence may be lower or higher. Just need to know exactly what that spec is. That amp will not safely drive a 2 ohm load in bridged mode.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
image dynamics does not have anything on this crossover as far as description but here it is
http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/id...ids-p-105.html
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Michael,
It appears you may still need some help. I notice you're in Disco Bay. I have a house there too and can help you if you need. 408-569-6040
What you are being advised to do is correct as you need to determine the resistive load of the speaker module. Only then can you think about selecting an amp.
As far as the crossover goes, they will often have an impedance value marked on them but is only to indicate what they were designed for, i.e. the frequency that a crossover is designed for is dependant on the impedance of the transducers used. The other important characteristic of a crossover is the power rating. The components used will dictate how much power you can run....reliably. If the crossovers are designed for say a single set of component speakers and now you are going to run 2 sets on it, it will not work at the intended frequency and you will likely be overpowering the crossover to a likely failure point. Good luck
Duane
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Duane,
Id love it if you could help me get in the right direction. Thank you. Im currently not back in Discovery Bay, i go to Chico State, but i will be home in 2 or 3 weeks. When i come back into town maybe you can point me in the right direction and we could go out for a ride?

Michael
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2010, 9:58 PM Reply   
Sure, no worries. You gots mi numba. A Wake boat without tunes to the rida.....might just as well be slolom skiing. Did I even spell that right?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2010, 11:40 PM Reply   
ahaha i love the getto talk..... well i got 4 polks on da tower but jus not good enufff.lol
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2010, 12:11 AM Reply   
That's about as good as it gets for me.
Which Polks do you have? I've been a Polk dealer for about 6 years and although many people seem to like the db series, I've never sold a single one of them. I've always preferred the Momo's (when they were the shiz) or now the MM Series which is a shiz ++.
The db series are ok, entry level, a bit higher sensitivity/louder but just don't sound as good IMO. Somebody, please argue this with me! Ok you win, I'm easy!
Point here is for the most part you get what you pay for. Quality always requires better materials and better manufacturing....Somebody please argue this with me....OK you lose!
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
i want to hear this.. i think they might be the DB,s. i had them put in by the dealer... bad move. I will be honest, my parent did purchase the boat, so realistically squeezing out some really good speakers was way out of the question. im lucky enough to have the boat, let alone the polks. so i found the Skylon speakers for 450 and jumped on them but they are really turning out to be more of a pain in my ass than id like. i have been thinking about just selling them and getting some other speakers. im just afraid they wont perform because they are kinda pieced together.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-13-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
do you think 6 more Polks instead of the Defcon IV would be louder? that would mean i would have 10 Polks on the tower
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
so i checked the ohm load... they reading was 20 but the meter was 1kohm so i am assuming that that makes the reading 2 ohm load.. so now that the problem is solved. what amp should i get to run these bad boys?

any suggestions? i dont want to spend a ton. like over 300
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-17-2010, 8:43 PM Reply   
I have a RF 800.2 that I'll sell ya for $200. Told ya before. Same amp that ran those speakers for 3 years. It will push around 400 watts rms to each of them. They were originally spec'd for 350 watts each I believe.