Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (lka__supra24ssv)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-27-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
I am very happy with the swim platform on my 24SSV, but I find some older folks and larger folks have trouble getting out of the water. I have seen this same problem on most wake and ski boats.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a quality ladder that could be attached to the underside of the swim platform, without effecting the wake?

I am open to other ideas as well, besides not bringing them along.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-27-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
Had an I/O years ago, that had a ladder that flipped up and over the swim step when not in use. Try West Marine, Overton's, Ski Limited, Bart's, etc.

(Message edited by rio_sanger on December 27, 2007)

(Message edited by rio_sanger on December 27, 2007)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-27-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
Give the guys at Bridge City Watersports a call.
http://www.bridgecitywatersports.com

They rigged one for a friend of mine who has cerebral palsy & owns an LSV. It turned out really good.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-28-2007, 1:06 AM Reply   
I looked into that but decided not to get one for me. These were what I considered.

http://www.windline.com/slidemount.html
http://www.garelick.com/
http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=264530

Garelick has several that can mount in different ways. Some are attached permanently and some you stow in the boat. The trick is to be able to attach it without interference from the platform mounts and where the water drag at slower speeds won't pull it out. When you're at wake speeds they would be completely out of the water. Good luck, and post pictures if you put one on.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-28-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
I've looked at putting on one of these for the same reason www.aquaperformance.com

Upload
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-28-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Only problem I see with the bottom mount is when the boat is weighted down my platform is under water a bit and I'd worry about it trying to rip the ladder off every time I come out of the hole. Granted once you're on plain it's not an issue but will be drag in the water while trying to get there.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-28-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
I'm just wondering out loud here, but would it not be possible to rig a ladder that came out of a swim platform much like the front ladder on a Mastercraft? Perhaps a smooth piece of fiberglass/aluminum could actually help shape the wake while protecting the ladder from being ripped off at lower speeds. A foam cored solid platform with an integrated ladder (think 2008 Ford truck tailgate) would be REALLY cool.
Several people have said that a heavily weighted boat (the ones I saw complaining were 'bu 247's) will drag the platform at surf speeds, thus creating white water on the wake.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-28-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Ive looked at my platform while surfing and only about 1/4 (the corner) of the platform is in the water once up to speed. If you mounted the ladder dead center, I dont think I would effect the wake at all.

(Message edited by chpthril on December 28, 2007)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-29-2007, 12:05 AM Reply   
Here's a Garelick mount location that you can put under the platform and then mount a removable ladder. They have a break-away mount for it too. That would let the ladder flip up instead of dragging down in the water if you forgot it.
UploadUpload
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-29-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
Tigemike;
I had a aquastep on a previous boat I had. it was a great addition. It bolted up quickly, and had a very firm, possative(sp) fit. The ladder was very well made, and had the boat manufacturer's name imprinted on the foam cover. I remember the step being a bit costly, but after I had it, It was a great investment.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-30-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
Greg,

Thanks for the response. If something works that easy and helps the non-Olympians in the family get back in the boat, then it is worth the $250 price. I liked the fact that it is spring loaded and automatically returns to the stowed position.

Couple of ?'s, did you have teak or F/G and would there be any way possible that you might have a photo or 2 showing the ladder installed. even if it was just a back or side shot of the boat would be awesome.
Thanks.