Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-04-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
feel free to express your experiences here. i rode last year with anthony hollick and then down in florida for 4 days last winter and noticed some guys really hold hands close together on handle. i experimented with it this summer and really found heel side i could keep better handle and body position. toeside i found at first it really helped my spinning but have since developed a bad habit toeside of not standing tall.
Old    murrayair            09-04-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
I keep my hands about 3-4 inches apart in the "baseball" grip. It's all just personal preference, though. Whatever works for you.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-05-2007, 12:11 AM Reply   
one on either side of the handle.
Old     (wondermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-05-2007, 4:59 AM Reply   
i ride with hands close together about an inch of space held a little to the left side of the handle. I also felt moving my hands in has helped my edging.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-05-2007, 5:07 AM Reply   
i keep mine all the way out for most of the time. except for on hoochie glides, then i'll move my right hand in toward the middle about 3 or 4 inches
Old    justinh            09-05-2007, 5:53 AM Reply   
It is funny, I had this discussion with a friend the other day and we noted that hand position is almost regional.

For Texas: Dallas riders tend to keep their hands close together. Houston, all the way out.

I have heard arguements for both. I ride all the way out, but I grew up on the 12-13" handles. When the 15" "hang-glider" handle came out I was all over the extra room. I don't know if it makes a difference. I know great riders that to both.

(Message edited by justinh on September 05, 2007)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-05-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
I'm a close gripping Dallas rider! All the way in Baby...even when I ride with the niece!
http://www.pbase.com/eubanks01/image/85068644

(Message edited by eubanks01 on September 05, 2007)
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-05-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
About an inch apart dead center. Especially for big spins or any spin with second pull. I read or heard this somewhere and tried it. Changed my spinning right away. In short by holding near the center, when you let go with one hand, the handle stays straight, instead of getting cockeyed. Then when you pull behind your back and rotate your wrist up, the handle flops right where you need expect it.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-05-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
I have found that with my hand together or close together, my elbows stay close to my side, Tucked in. Whne I have them apart, then so will be my elbows. This helps me with some tricks, and doesnt matter with others...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-05-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
Hands together for sure, mine are usually touching. I remember watching vids just after I learned this technique thinking "why didnt I just watch how the pro's hold the handle, I am sure they have a reason for it". After that I started noticing that most pros hold their hands pretty close in the center of the handle.

Kind of in line with what Steve mentioned: anytime your going for more than 1 handle pass, having them centered helps keep you from running out of handle IMHO. It seems like my passes are much cleaner with hands close at center, giving me a better chance at that second pass, whether its a full pass or a half pass on something like a 5 or HS BS 3. If your first pass is sloppy, the second pass becomes a lot more difficult.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-05-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
I ride all the way out, but after reading some of these posts, it makes more sense to me to ride with them in the center next to each other. I'm going to try that next time out. Great info.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-05-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
I keep my hands together all the time on the handle touching eachothet, no gap. Thats what eevryone in my whole crew does.
Old     (swb140)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-05-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
I put my hands all the way out! I payed for the whole handle I'm going to use it all.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
having your hands closer together gives your triceps more leverage making it easier to keep the handle low.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-06-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
on both ends of the handle...