Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    robcurtis            10-08-2004, 1:23 AM Reply   
I'm interested buying either the Mobius XLV or the Tige 24V.
I'm trying to compare the quality(finishes and wake)of the Mobius XLV and the Tige 24V. I've ridden behind the Tige 24v,its awesome, but haven't seen the Mobius XLV yet.
What are the pros and cons in your opinion?

Thanks
Rob
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-08-2004, 5:17 AM Reply   
Well, I have an XLV so here is my opinion.

Fit and finish: no question that the Tige has a better fit and finish.

Quality: If you take fit and finish out of the equation, I have had no problems (short of minor warranty work) with my XLV (had it 1 year and put 130 hours on it).

Wake: Even after all this time, I am still tuning my wake. I have the GG bags and when they are all filled and people are in the boat, the wake can roll over unless you crank the speed up. I haven't ridden the 24v but I did go out on a 22v with just 600lbs in the walkway and the wake was a little smaller but it seemed more firm. I might try a little less weight in the back on my XLV since I think that may be causing it to soften up a bit. If I got a tige, I would probably go with aftermarket bag ballast so that you could get more weight and not lose all that storage room when not boarding.

Storage: I can't say for the 24v but the XLV has crap loads of it. The tige 22v had some, but not what I would have expected (however I am now biased with the amount I have).

Price: The XLV is hands down a lot more inexpensive.

Summary: it depends what you are looking for. I really want to ride on a 24v with some good weight. Is it worth the additional money? It depends on how much fit and finish is worth to you and how much better the wake is but based on the 22v wake, I would say that it is a bit better and less tempermental to weight distribution but that is just an educated guess.
Old    rugr            10-08-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
What is a good price to pay for an '04 XLV? New? Used? Anyone have one they want to sell?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-08-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
You might want to compare the Supra 24SSV as well. The XLV is sensitive to weight when you have gravity games Ballast in it. If you run full gravity ballast, I would only have 3-4 people in the boat. If you have more, I wouldn't fill the ballast all the way. The wake is still insane like that.

Ryan,

I've got on '05 Gravity Games Edition on lot for $45.5k with many upgrades and options. I hope that gives you an idea.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
Ryan,
I have a left over '04 XLV in Black, Red and white. Feel free to contact me for more info.
Old    bigairsteve            10-08-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
the tige 24V is a killer boat, Tons of storage and room, awsome for boarding and surfing. Plus with the new interior they have they look awesome I plan on selling my 04 for an 05
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-08-2004, 5:53 PM Reply   
I've never seen the XLV. It seems they just don't have natural habitat around here
I have been thrilled with my 24V and can't imagine anything better. I believe that the TAPS is a huge bonus to be able to tune the wake and boat attitude to your current situation. A wake plate may serve a similar function, but with a traditional shaped hull, it has less utility.
Old    robcurtis            10-09-2004, 5:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Schmo,
quality fit and finish quality is pretty important, but wake is the most important. when your wake curls, are you riding with the wakeplate at position for largest wake?maybe put plate down slightly... also, think the little less wieght in the back might help. Post has helped me a lot, maybe go for the tige and pay a little extra, but I'll try get to the XLV to take a look for myself.
Old    robcurtis            10-09-2004, 5:35 AM Reply   
Jon A, stoke, thanks for the input. Have you riden with the 24v tige at all? if so, how does the wakeplate system compare to the taps system of tige ie. is it super effective in shaping the wake? Supra is cool, except we can't get them in South Africa, no point comparing them. Thanks for the post
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-09-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
robcurtis,

I have not ridden with the 24V. I have been behind a 22V though. To me, the wakeplate system and taps work in the exact same way. I do see how some boats will not work right with the wakeplate because of their hull shape. The good thing is, Moomba and Supra hulls do accomodate the wakeplate. Why would the Supras come standard with it if it didn't work. When I drive our boats, I use the wakeplate all of the time and it works great. I don't know what I would do without it. It shapes they wake greatly and also allows you to fly across the lake with full ballast if you need to. If you didn't have it, you would probably porpoise.

I talked with the South African Moomba dealer this August at the Dealers Meeting. He is a very nice guy. Tell him the guys in Arkansas said hi.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-09-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
When I have the Gravity Games bags full and 6 or so people in the boat, the wake curls around 70ft at 23mph. (That is with people sitting forward in the cockpit). I believe more weight in the bow or a little less in the rear clears up the problem. (This is with wakeplate at about 1/4 down)

I just experimented today with that configuration (GG Full except 3/4 full in the rear, 6 people sitting forward and wake plate 1/4). The wake was very large and steeper than I have ever seen it. It provide with a lot of upwards pop so much so that it put me a little off balance (not because it was bad, just because I wasn't used to it).

Anyway, you definitely get a world class wake out of it however based on reading and the experience I have with one ride in a 22V with only 600 pounds in the walkthrough and 5 people, the Tige's may be less sensitive to weight distribution and easier to get a big wake with less weight.

I live in the same subdivision as the sales guy from our Tige dealership. He has a nice new 05 24V in the docks and I will be going out on it shortly. I will let you know what I think however I don't think it has any ballast (they typically add the Rival aftermarkets to theirs since it is cheaper that the factory and the factory hard tanks take up a lot of valuable storage room.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-09-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
Because of the convex hull, the Tige will porpoise at high speeds (unless the water is complete glass) if you do not put the plate down. I cannot speak to the other boats. For a Tige, you HAVE TO have the TAPS if you go faster than wakeboard speeds. Assuming it is only an option on other boats then I would expect them to ride smoothly at high speeds.
Old    robcurtis            10-10-2004, 3:53 AM Reply   
Jon, schmo and tigeguy thanks for the info on the wakeplate and wake shape.
Schmo, when you go out on that tige 24, it'll be great if you let me know how it compares to your boat.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-10-2004, 6:46 AM Reply   
Going out today, however he doesn't have any ballast to throw in it (neither do I as my ballast is built in to my XLV).

Still I should be able to give some opinions on the wake and opinions on all the other aspects. I have no doubt it is a better boat, but it is more expensive
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-11-2004, 6:48 AM Reply   
Went out yesterday on a very nice all black 24v limited... here is what I observed.

Fit and Finish: the fit and finish on the Tige was very nice to say the least. The seats were firm, but comfortable. The styling was nice and not overdone. Everything was pretty top notch. In comparison to the XLV, the XLV definitely has less firm seating and less attractive styling. You can definitely tell the difference in quality, however, that is part of the reason the XLV is less expensive. My girlfriend actually didn't like the seating in the bow with the curved seats of the 24v, she thought the XLV bow seating was more comfortable.

Storage: There is no doubt in my mind that the 24v has lots of storage however, the XLV has more. Also on the 05 Tige, the storage openings under the seats are rather small. You don't pull out the entire seat to get to them, just the inner cushion of the seat. This makes the openings to the storage areas smaller. Although you can still fit alot in there, it is harder to get to. Also, with the XLV the cooler is under the floor board which gives you the entire passenger side front cockpit seats for storage. The XLV also has the play pen seating so you have tons of storage under there. Yes, you can get the bow filler for the 24v but the storage would be just to the floor where the playpen goes down deeper into the hull.

Ride/Handling: Both boats handle very well but you can tell that the 24v is a more solid/heavier boat. It handles the chop tremendously. The most surprising aspect was that we could do VERY tight turns in the 24v at almost full throttle and there would be no slipping of power in the turns. This is something that I can't remember our XLV being able to do (I will have to try it out). Granted, this isn't something you do day to day, but just a demonstration of it's handling.

Wake: Unfortunately there was no added ballast in this boat so I will do the best that I can. We have 2 adults and 1 child in the boat when I rode behind it. I originally started at 75ft out and 22mph with TAPS at 5. The wake was decent and wide (I normally ride around 65 on the XLV). The wake was very clean. We then took the TAPS all the way up. The wake was very nice considering there was no weight. Definitely a bigger wake than the XLV with no weight, no questions. I also believe that the wake on the 24v stays clean much futhur out. When I weight my XLV with 2000lbs+, riding much futhur out than 70 at 22 becomes sketchy depending on the number of people in the boat and where they are sitting.

Ballast options, the 24 has the option for hard tanks. Everything I have heard is that most people do not get them since they take up room. The alternative is Rival or something equivalent which woudl be my choice. Granted when bags fill you lose storage but at least you have that storage at the end of the day. The rear compartments can take a boat load of ballast however getting ballast up front is a little more challenging as you don't have the walkthrough to conceal the ballast like the XLV has. You would have to put the ballast in the right and left bow sections (or the left and right sections right in front of the cockpit) if you want to conceal all ballast. This was something I didn't like.

Tower: the new 05 tower was definitely very firm (firmer side to side than the XLV). it is also taller than the XLV by about a foot).

Cost: Well, the XLV costs in the low/mid 40s. I didn't get an exact quote on the 24V but it would probably be in the mid 50s easy. With that said, there is a big cost difference.

In the end, I would love to see the wake with 1500 - 2000lbs. Based on other comments I have heard, it gets ridiculously large but I would have to see if before I committed. I need to see a boats wake when weighted to see where the limits are. The XLV is pretty much limited at the GG bags and a few people, much more than that and you would have to go too fast to clean it up.

(Message edited by Schmo on October 11, 2004)

(Message edited by Schmo on October 11, 2004)
Old    robcurtis            10-11-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
Schmo, thanks for the post, super explanatory! Based on what you've said, I am definately leaning more toward the 24v but clearly both boats are really cool.

Thanks rob
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-11-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
Great review and very informative. Just a little more on the Rival system if I may.

I have the Rival ballast and would say that it is by far the best option on my boat...even over the big stereo system I have (and maybe Perfect Pass). The bags under the seats upfront don't bother me at all. There is still plenty of storage infront of the driver and the passenger in the 24V. We have no problems putting everything we want on top or on the side of the back sacs when full, including a few extra boards, wakeskates, and surfboards. Mine is only the 22V and there is a ton more storage in the back in the 24V. I also have a few hundred pounds of lead upfront with the sacs, so around 600 pounds upfront, which works great. Out of site, out of mind. With about 500 pounds in lead, we have about 2200 pounds in the boat combined with the Rival and it fills up and drains in 5 minutes. I think it is the perfect set up for the 22V and 24V and doesn't take up much room at all.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-11-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
Brent,

How is that weight distributed and what is the total weight of the Rival system? Based on you stating that you have 600 up front and about 2200 total, that would mean that you have about 1600 in the rear (or does that include a sac in the walkway). That ratio would seem very tail heavy.

Anyone know the price range that these 24V's go for? My dealer mentioned close to 60K MSRP which seems very high. I would hope that they are a decent bit less than that after negotiating. (I know options can make a big difference but the boat he was referring to wasn't really loaded, just middle of the road (no factory ballast, minimal stereo, no heater, no shower, 340hp engine, etc).
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-11-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/193914.html?1097123314

This is a link to Hope's video of Girls Learn to Ride. We were behind an unweighted Tigé 24v - there were about 8 girls in the boat. I thought the wake was great!
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-11-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
Sorry Dave, I need to make things more clear. The Rival does about 1700 pounds for my boat. The rear sacs are 500 a piece and the front sacs are probably about 150 a piece, and a 400 pound center walkway sac. I also have 500 pounds of lead to distribute around the boat. Some of the lead is in front, and the rest is around the middle of the boat under the seats and a few bars on the floor. They are carpeted with the same carpet as the boat, so you don't really notice them. The key with the Tige's is to weight the boat as evenly as possible. They don't like too much weight in the back.

I have spent a lot of time in a few 24V's as well. They take even less weight. 1500 pounds in that boat will put out a monster wake. 2 sacs in back along with a few under the front seats and some lead here and there would be perfect. The Rival system is a much better system to set up than the stock system and takes up a lot less space.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-11-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
The video shows a decent amount of wash on the lip with several of the riders. What speed and length were people riding at. I saw no wash on my test ride no matter what length (up to 75ft) or speed 20mph - 23mph. However, I don't remember the wake being quite that big (less people in the boat and probably going faster).
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-11-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
Brent,

Thanks, just one more clarification. I assume by saying that the 24V takes less weight you mean that it takes less wake to make the wake huge (rather than they take less weight meaning that any more than 1500 and the wake starts to deteriorate).

Do you just fill the walkthrough sac on your own or do you have a hose plumbed into the automatic system for filling this?

I agree that Rival or some other sac alternative is the way to go to retain your storage.

Thanks for your insight.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-11-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
Strange, I have been in that exact boat for a week straight, riding daily and we never had that wash. I would imagine speed was an issue and it looks like they just didn't have the weight distributed well. Lindsay is usually pretty careful about that.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-11-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
Check out this thread about the 24V, http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/174027.html?1087629183

Also look at the link that I posted in that thread too. That will help out with some of your questions.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-11-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
The boat just doesn't need as much weight to get the desired result. Keith Lyman puts 4000 pounds in his 24V, so the wake doesn't deteriorate. Email me for more details on my set up.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-11-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
On a side note...

Does anyone here have a 24v on a trailer with a swing away hitch? We are looking into this boat and were wondering what the length would be from the front of the trailer (with hitch swung away) to the back of the taps trim tab (swim platfrom removed). We normally store our boat in our dock which is not a problem but during the winter and when working on it we would like to have it in the garage.

We currently have a Mobius XLV (23') that fits in without a swingaway tongue and the platform removed(just barely). The garage is 25 feet deep.

Our dealer didn't have any trailers with swing tongue so he couldn't give us an exact measurement.

In theory, the boat is 23'10"... add a couple inches for the part of the TAPS that sticks out so we are just over 24'. It is all a matter of where the tongue swings but would be VERY close.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-11-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
Yeah, it was a bit washy looking back on it. The whole thing was set up as a clinic so I'm not sure that they were watching the wake since most of us were beginners/intermediate. I usually ride at 65 feet - they were using a rope reel (which I now hate!) so there was no way of telling exact length. When I was riding (black shorts) it was pretty clean and firm (and steep as you can see) - but when Hope (pink shorts) was up they were working on having her stand up at the wake and you're right it shouldn't be that foamy! At any rate, it does illustrate the steepness, and I think if you wanted to you could clean that wake up pretty easy...again, this was only with human ballast so there is nowhere to go but up!

(Message edited by Lizrd on October 11, 2004)
Old    blr            10-11-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
I also have a 24V if you are in southafrica and you know Andrew, you can ask him about mine, he rode with me for about a week. I ahve not ridden behind or driven the XLV so that would be hard to comment on. I do second the handling of the 24V, it is incredible and with the taps at 1, there is almost no bow rise which is incredible for a boat it's size. If you have the $ I would go with the Tige. I would not trade mine for any other boat, but that is just MO. If you have any specific questions, I will happily anwer them. On the ballast, I have about 700 in the front under the cusions via some custom made sacs. I also through 2 x 350's in the rear and about 400 under the filler cusion in the bow. I do like the '04 interior better based on larger acces holes, but again, just MO. I would reccomend you go with the 6.0l since the boat is so heavy. I have the extreme trailer with the swingaway tongue. Not sure of the lenght though, my garage is 35' deep and it fits no problem.