Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       04-11-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
Search function is not working for me right now for some reason....anyone used Plast-dip? I have seen folks use it on their cars on the badges and on wheels and it seems to be a real nice product. I have a Malibu and the window trim is powdercoated black and has a few places where the coating has worn off. My wedge is also just the anodized black aluminum and it looks pretty rough as well as the swim platform brackets. I was wondering if anyone has ever used plasti-dip for any similar areas on their boats. Seems like it would work good for the window trim but not sure if the wedge and brackets would hold up since they spend most of the time under water. Thanks
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-11-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
I just saw that a friend of mine painted the rims on his car & then all the plastics on a crotch rocket with Plasti-dip. I was pretty surprised at how good they looked. I'd bet it would work great on the swimstep brackets or the windshield. Not so sure about the Wedge, maybe on the bracket itself but I'd bet it would peel off the foil or uprights.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       04-11-2012, 4:58 PM Reply   
Yeah I think I am going to give it a try in a couple of weeks....pretty cheap and easy to peel off if I don't like it....
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-11-2012, 6:14 PM Reply   
Please post result.. I have the same problem on my Malibu window frame... I would love to hear how it turns out.

Thank you
Trav
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine did his rack forks with it and they look real good not to mention more board protection.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
I've never used it on a boat, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

I just got done doing my golf cart body and wheels. Actually real easy to work with and I peeled it off two of the wheels with absolutely zero residue. It's really crazy stuff. I had to peel it off two of the wheels because I didn't clean the chrome well enough. I would recommend washing the surface and use some type of surface cleaner (I just used vinegar on the chrome wheels).

I wouldn't hesitate to use it on any chrome/metal/plastic surface inside my boat or car that I wanted flat black. I think they make a gloss finish and other color spray now?

I saw a dude did his whole car in the stuff once!
Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-11-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
I used it a lot customizing a motorcycle. It looked and held up great. Not sure how it would handle being submerged in the water at 30-40mph though..
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       04-11-2012, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushtree View Post
I used it a lot customizing a motorcycle. It looked and held up great. Not sure how it would handle being submerged in the water at 30-40mph though..
Me either but since it's so cheap I think I will spray the wedge and see how it holds up.....never know I guess.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-11-2012, 11:16 PM Reply   
I have a can of yellow on my shelf that I'm going to coat a few tools with for the boat next week. I have a crescent wrench in my toolbox that I did about 15 years ago and it's still great.
Brackets would be fine. I think it would not be good taking the hydro forces on the wedge and I would not try it on the foil.
It does not last very long on the shelf once it has been opened.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
Same Malibu windshield problem here. Are you going to spray it or brush it on. I think this is going to be an interesting thread.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
Hey Nick & Naw, mind if I ask to see pics of your cart & bike with the Plasti-Dip on them? Sounding more & more interesting..... for the boat, bike & cart!

My buddies CBR1100

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 04-12-2012 at 2:01 PM.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       04-12-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
Yeah I am pretty excited to try this in a couple of areas. I will be using the spray stuff not the dip. In the last couple of years the chrome piece surrounding my guages has started pitting....nothing to bad yet but the writing is on the wall. I may try spraying it as well at some point. Can always pull it back off when ready and while it's on there the pitting should not get any worse I would guess? When I get the chance to try this I will take pics and post here...Anyone interested should youtube plast-dip. Looks like an amazing (and easy to use) product!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2012, 5:42 PM Reply   
Here it is in the GC. I've only used the spray (all I've seen really). I think I got it at Ace. Crazy cool stuff.