Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       08-11-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I have done the Dale Hollow trip in the past, but I read somewhere that Lake Norris typically has better water conditions for wakeboarding. I have booked a houseboat trip over Labor Day weekend at Norris.

I spoke to a guy down there who just told me that Norris Lake has limited coves and we may have a hard time finding a private place to tie the houseboat up and party. And, without a cove, may have a hard time finding good water. Should I reconsider Dale Hollow? I am pumped to try a new lake! But also want to get a lot of riding in, not just use the surf board.
We are taking our houseboat out of Sequoyah Marina. Any advice you guys can give will be very appreciated!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-11-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
Yeah, I have some advice. Head up the powell river that runs into Norris. It's north of Flat Hollow, and there are plenty of spots to tie up the houseboat. The Powell is the least traveled spot on Norris, and the water has been butter every time I have been there.

Have you ever been on water that is so flat that dust settles on top of it? That's what you will find there.

I have never been on Norris over a holiday weekend, but if I did I would be willing to bet that the best water will be up the Powell.
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-11-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Norris is a a great place to wakeboard. There is smooth water, but going on Labor day weekend you are going to fight boat traffic. No matter what lake you go to on Labor day will be crowded. I have rode on most every lake in the area and they are all pretty similar. (Cumberland, Norris, Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Taylorsville, Barron River, Melton Hill, Douglas and Tellico) They all have good water on certian parts and bad water other places. You just need to know where to look.

You need to talk to Doug Goins of Norris Wake. He grew up on Norris and knows more about that lake than the fish that swim in it. He runs a shop and rentals at Stardust.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       08-11-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
Thanks Paul and Tyler!

I will definitely look into heading toward Powell.

I spoke with Doug last year. I was blowing out a boat and I was seriously considering it. Seems like a really nice guy.
I sent him an email. Thanks for the heads up Tyler.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       08-11-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
Doug just called me. Super cool guy full of awesome information.

I feel like this trip just got better.

Thanks again guys.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-11-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
Nate,
Count me in. Haha. I've only heard good things from people who have been there. Should be a great time. How did that surfin come along last sunday? Sorry if I got to close to your guys boat when I was boarding (orange supra).
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       08-11-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
Andrew,
I bought the surf board last week, it was our first time on it. I had my father and brother in law and his son. Kind of a last minute decision to go - it was a great time. For some reason, as nice as it was, my normal crew was MIA.

Was that your kicker in the water? I saw someone try a raley over it. If I didn't have my family in the boat, I would have stuck around to watch you guys some, maybe even have tried it. It was pretty chop out though......
How did you guys get that into the cut??
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-11-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Nate,
Naw that was the other supra's kicker. The one guy was throwing raleys and not landing them the whole time I saw him try it. it looked sketchy as hell though when I drove past watching them. A person had to hold the front down so they could hit it is what I saw. What side were you surfing on? I'm sure your boat is like mine and it would be a better wave on the right side due to prop rotation. Could you figure out how to ride without the rope by any chance?
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       08-12-2009, 5:40 AM Reply   
The kicker did look sketchy for sure.

We were surfing the left side. I am not positive on how to weight yet to get the best wake. I had a 450 lb sack full in the left engine compartment, 800 in the ski locker and 250 in thet bow. I wonder if it would be better to leave the bow empty.
I have a LH prop. Let me know what you think.
On my second set I was close to letting the rope go. But, was only able to super close to the swim platform. It seemed I could only get the speed to stay with the boat there. I could keep slack on the line and only have to tug it lightly once in a while. I think with more people in the boat the wave would be much better.