Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (bck0002)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2009, 12:09 AM Reply   
I have been having problems with people breaking into my boat and I just got a 3-some... is there any way to lock them on the tower so they wont get stolen?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-26-2009, 12:44 AM Reply   
Put it on a quick release and hide it or take it home.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-26-2009, 5:35 AM Reply   
Buy a shotgun, sleep in your boat a few nights. Word will spread quickly once you shoot one of em.

If the boat is stored near your home put an alarm on it...and buy a shotgun. Make sure it is a two way page system with a tilt, micro sensor and audio sensor. You'll be good to go.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-26-2009, 6:34 AM Reply   
Here are a couple of suggestions

1.) dont post pics of you boat stereo online

2.) indoor/enlcosed storage under lock & key

3.) remove the speakers form the boat when done.

These will only help protect your speakers...if someone really wants them...they can find a way to get them.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-26-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
The quick releae makes it very easy to remove/re-intall the speakers. It's the only 100% fool proof answer.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-26-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
If you sleep with your boat nearby, the alarm works well... that's the route I chose, anyway. I have a switchable proximity sensor that is on when it's on the trailer, off when on the boatlift or in the water, and hood pins on all important compartments... (should they get that far), with a 2-way paging system that lets me know when the alarm is triggered.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-26-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
But yes, the only fool proof option is what Adam said... each of the speakers on the 3-some has two screws on the u-bracket that acts as a quick release that you can screw on/off by hand... but of course that doesn't protect amps and stereo in the boat.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
Coleman,

Strategically positioned or replacement stainless steel security screws or bolts. These require a special tool.

Mike, that stuff only works here in Texas.

David E.M.
Old     (chuckc983)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-26-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
I thought about security screws or bolts - but in the sizes needed - I could only find them in quanities of 100 (screw or bolt size) - and cost was like $50 to $100 (or more) a box. If you know I source where I can get security bolts at a reasonable cost - I would like to know.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Look and see if you can find special bolt's (tamper proof screw's/bolts) these will SLOW people down. Its not gonna STOP most crook's

Murphy's Advice
1.) don't post picks of you boat stereo online

Wow if that's true Im in real big trouble.

I would hope that 99.9% of all boat break in's are from random people who have nothing to do with W/W. I don't think crooks scan W/W for target's. I think roache's just drive around and see a easy target and hit it. There is enough of them they they don't need to search for them.

IMO boats left outside are easy targets. They have as much stereo equipment and goodies as most cars and they only have a cover to protect them. Nothing stopping someone from lifting your cover to see what's inside.

This is just my opinion. If you don't have a garage to secure your boat then don't put stereo equipment in it because it will get stolen. The only time Im like Damm that's messed up is when someone's house or garage gets busted into. It's like what more can u do. You have a boat in a locked garage and people still got to bust in.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-26-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
The new clamps on Wetsounds aren't as easy and quick to remove. The U bracket is no longer used so to remove the speakers you'd have to remove 8 allen screws each time as well as keep up with the piece of bracket that wraps around their new spindle plate on the speaker housing.

Storing your boat under lock and key is the best way to keep your speakers from getting robbed.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-26-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
If you aren't planning to change your stereo setup anytime soon, you can go to a shop and get someone to tig weld a couple tack's on each critical bolt. Make it obvious, and people will give up trying to steal them before you start.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-26-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
The best option is to remove them and take them inside etc..Since the 3-Some already has quick release clamps on them. You are set there.

Or like the others said. Keep it in storage locked up.

If you have the older Trick Connect clamps with the U braket, you remove 2 lug nuts per clamp. And the speaker slides down.

If you have the new Trick Connect 2 clamps. You remove 2 allen bolts and the speaker comes off. Then you replace the removable part back onto the clamp so you don't lose it.

The new clamps are stainless steel and offer a built in swivel for the 80's etc..And they are a more rounded shape that flows with the speakers.

The older ones were a bit easier to remove but only offered front and back flipping and no swivel built in and were more square look.

The new ones are still really easy to remove. best thing to do is find a good allen tool just for that size. Instead of using a universal allen tool. A small t handle or L shape allen tool will let you take theme off in no time at all.

There are some options for security screws. Although, what I have seen is that sometimes if they can't get them off. They will trash your boat out of madness. Plus they can still get the interior items. So if there is nothing on the tower. They may not even bother with anything else in the boat.

We had our old demo boat broken into while it was at the dealer. I took the towers off and put them in my truck to take back with me. They got into the boat. Stole the amps and speakers. Could not get the sub box out so they trashed it and cracked the fiberglass beating on it. So it was done for. No matter if they stole it or not.

So always be careful even if you keep it under lock and key that when you take it places to get worked on!
Tim
Wet Sounds

(Message edited by wetsounds1 on February 26, 2009)
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-26-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
were you compensated for the damage or did you have to file it on your own insurance?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-26-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
No, dealer did not cover it. That dealer is no longer in business. And I think they were already on the way out and knew it. So customer service was not on the top of their list or taking care of people on stuff like this. I have heard some dealers will help out and heard that others will not cover theft. So always best to be safe or at least get the details on what is or isn't covered before leaving it.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-26-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
I replaced the wetsounds "lug nuts" with polished button head stainless steel allen head bolts. I zip them on/off with my screw gun every time I use the boat, takes all of 5 minutes. This was one of the main reasons I chose wetsounds. When I do leave them on the boat overnight, I think the allen head bolts are a bit more challenging to remove than the lugnuts. There are also companies that will build you locking head bolts too, but I wouldn't leave them on if you were at all concerned.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-26-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
mikeski the new clamps are a little different. they use allen head bolts now.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-27-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Probably been covered before - but can I buy the new clamps for my existing pro80s? I like that look and the ability to swirve them around.. :-)

-- oh yeah, uh ... any crooks reading w/w, I dont have wetsounds on my boat ... i'm asking for ... uh ... a friend.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
yeah, i think they're $150'ish a pair.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-27-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
Yeah $150 a pair, thats what I heard. Funny though... Pro 60's are $850 a pair plus $150 to change the mounts. Pro 80's are $1000 and come with the mounts. So no price difference between them. It's a shame they don't all come with new mounts.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-27-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
The new ones are still really easy to remove. best thing to do is find a good allen tool just for that size. Instead of using a universal allen tool. A small t handle or L shape allen tool will let you take theme off in no time at all.

With the 3-some, the pods being so big make it a huge PITA with an allen wrench.

I bought an extra 6mm hex socket to keep in my boat to use on the speakers. With a wobble-joint adaptor, long extension, and 3/8" ratchet it's a little easier.

Upload