Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (dguille)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-28-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have a 96 Mastercraft prostar 205 that I had winterized back about 2 months ago. I took it to the place that always winterizes it so I didnt go back and check anything. They had never done anything before that would make me think I should. That was my mistake. I went out to check on it and I found about 1 inch of standing water in the entire boat. Come to find out they didnt remove the plug. There is a small hole in the cover so I guess thats how all the rain got in. What do I do now?? Is my boat ruined. I tried to start it but the battery was to drained. It did try to start so I'm charging the battery now. Please help because I have no idea what I should do!!! Thanks, David
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-28-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
WATER!!!! IN A BOAT!@!!!!! No WAY!!!

Kidding, Pull the plug, go to Bed Bath and beyond and get this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14276700

This should pull the moisture out of the boat and deter mildew and musty buildup.

My guess is the pump drained the battery, just unplug the battery and replace it next season.

(Message edited by Rson on December 28, 2007)
Old     (dguille)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-28-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Thanks Rich. I will do that. But do you think that much water would hurt the motor. It was about a inch in the boat and the bilge area was totally full. Just wondering if I should try and get it running because of rust or something. Thanks
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-28-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
Do you mean 1 inch in the bilge or 1 inch of water over the carpet?

If 1 inch over the carpet.
It isn't the end of the world, but it may cost you. Did the starter go under water? If so, it may or may not work. The engine is sealed, so it couldn't get water in it. The electrical items that didn't go under water should be ok, but the starter (which is the lowest electrical item) may have gotten wet. If it won't start with a fresh battery, I would guess the starter is shot.

Some transmissions have vents on them that will let water in. Make sure there isn't water in it. If it is, I would drain and fill until the water is out. I would do this sooner than later, so it doesn't start to rust.

Other than a possible starter, you should be ok.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-28-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
Ahhh yes important question.....1 inch over the carpet or 1 inch in bottom??

Just so long as the electrical components don't get sumberged I think you will be ok. I would pull the battery and and get a new one....chances are that it ran itself down to the point of no return (this would be a great time to add a blue top or yellow top)
Old     (dguille)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-28-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
It was 1 inch on the carpet for sure. The motor turned over but the battery just didnt have enough juice to start it. I will check the transmission fluid for water. Thanks and if anyone can think of anything else I should do to ensure everythings ok let me know.
Old     (dguille)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-28-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
When you say electrical components you mean what?? There were a couple of connector that were definately wet but not sure what they are for.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-28-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
The starter, alternator, computer, etc. Everything in the bilge is designed to be wet (pumps, blowers, etc) I would imagine the plugs go to the bildge pumps, blowers etc and will be fine.

If the starter spun the motor, it will probably be ok. Don't let it surprise you if it dies this season.

just make sure to check your transmission fluid and if contaminated flush it several times.

Other than that, take the cover off, take the seat coushions out, take everything out of the boat, open the engine cover, get it in a warm garage if you can, and put some fans in it to dry the carpet. If you don't get it dry and put the cover back on it, I would imagine it will mold and start to stink bad.

(Message edited by 1boarder_kevin on December 28, 2007)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-28-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Pull the plug, drain the water, dry the boat out. I would not start the engine, but would get the battery back up to par. If worried about rust on the external parts of drivetrain, give everything a good coating of Store-n-Seal.

The only thing I would worry about is the steering cable. If it was under water, most likely was, it needs to be sprayed with some WD40.

Turn wheel all the way to one side so that the cable end (in bilge) is all the way out, coat with WD40 and turn wheel all the way to the other side and back, repeat a couple of more times.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-28-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
check tranny fluid for water. maybe change fluid while your at it.

your starter was definetly submerged. If it turned it over, your ok for now. Only time will tell how much damage was done by water in the starter. It will begin to rust and get sticky.

I made the same mistake several years ago. never pulled the starter off or anything. my starter is fine. If its been under for a while, you may pull it, let it dry then spray some wd40 on in to prevent rust and bolt it back on.

you should be fine
Old     (dguille)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-28-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
Transmission fluid looks fine. It looks like normal atf fluid. So should I try and start it or not? It did turn over fine just sounded like a low battery.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-28-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
No start.....pull battery and wait till next season.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-28-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
I think if you start it you will lose all your antifreeze??????? Similar thing happened to me last year. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/428654.html So make sure it is completely dry before you put that cover back on. Also remove all your cushions and let them dry out. Good luck