Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-28-2006, 10:52 PM Reply   
Aloha,

I've seen all the New Jersey and Utah threads. Well it's time for Hawaii to get in the mix. Little history class for those who don't remember the Skurfer era, the video "Hit It", "Skurfs Up", "Revolt", and the list goes on and on. Hawaii may be one of the first places to be recognized for Skurfing. Eric Perez brought skurfers and skiboards to what we now call wakeboarding. Eric is in the history books as a two time world champion (89 & 90). Lance Brug, one of the sports "Dirty Dozen" was also apart of that era. Ryan Seibring (former National Champ) was right in the thick of it all moving from Kauai to Florida. For the thousands that were apart of the RNR Surf & Ski family, we're back! From Randy Harris our first sponsored rider to Erik Ruck one of our last. From Mark Kenney to Evelyn Zerr (Now Evelyn Nelson - Greg's Wife). We haven't forgot about Loren Loe and Melissa Marquardt. Now about the scene! We are back and riding in boardshorts ALL YEAR AROUND. If your coming to Hawaii call or email me. If your a friend that has relocated "Keep in Contact". If your wondering what we're riding behind, how about a 06 Super Air 220 and a 05 SV 211. All you hawaiians it's time to give the scene a kick in the !@#.

Waiting for responses!

Reid Shimabukuro
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-29-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
That is GREAT news Reid.
I remember a couple great Tgiving weekends with the RNR HWA crowd!!

We will be in HI in late February and will hit you up for sure!!
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-29-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Off the subject, but what ever happened to Eric Perez? He's really a cool guy and largely goes unrecognized for his efforts and, as far as I know, is one of the first guys, if not the first, to do a flip and gave us the blender. On the subject, Hawaii is awesome. I was there two years ago and would like to move to the big island but need a job first.
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-29-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
I rode with Alan two summers ago, and all I can do is think about getting back there. You guys have the setup at the ski club! Thanks again for the pulls and hospitality.
Old     (campfar_knights)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-29-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
I also got to ride with alan this past summer. Keehi Lagoon is off the hook. Definitely the coolest places I have ever had the chance to wakeboard, except I did almost get eaten by a couple of hammer head sharks while boardin.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-29-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
is that a lake or an ocean?
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-29-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
That would be the ocean. The area known as "Keehi Lagoon" has an area that was specifically built for tournament waterskiing and wakeboarding. Alan has stepped up by taking guys who come to Hawaii and are looking to wakeboard. We are kickstarting the scene AGAIN! There's alot of riders out here we just need to get them BACK into the scene, myself included. Hope to see alot of old friends and make a ton of new ones. Going out tomorrow. Will send pics!

A hui ho!

Reid
Upload
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-29-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
do you see any sharks?
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-29-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Right On Reid,

I might fly over Saturday for Pearl Jam...
My boards on the barge from Kauai to Maui though... Hope it makes it here soon!!!
Old    jay_23            11-29-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
whats up Reid, that is crazy that wakeboarding has been there for that long. i was born and raised there for 18 years and all i ever did was surf. i got into the sport when i moved to the mainland. next year when i go home to visit, i'll forsure hit you up.!!!! alohaZ
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-30-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Hey Reid...

Good to see you back here. Yhea great times over the years over there. It ranks up of my all time most enjoyable in the water with first time in delta and first time in Tahoe. Hope to see you soon and keep up the wake love on the Hi! for all of those people headed there, do not hesitate to sign up and get your ride on.
Old     (txrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-30-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
What up Reid, Glad to hear that RnR is back. If anybody ever gets a chance to go to Hawaii you have to look up RnR! Reid and Lance actually taught me to ride back in 01 and kick started my addiction...

Jess
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-30-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
I had the opportunity to ride at Keehi Lagoon behind Reid's Pro Air. It was the best part of my honeymoon but dont tell my wife that!!

Thanks again Reid and Ryan
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-30-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
Reid - Aloha from Canyon Lake!! Your friends here all say Hi! Damien & family doing fine, and Jeremy just got married (you may already know), really happy for him, Anna & the kids! Last I heard Darren was performing in Branson, MO, pretty sure he would want to say hey too. Haven't seen Kelly K. in a while.

Will be in Moorea next week, bringing my board, Jesson is working on a hook up for us there. We will be in HI in a couple of years, you can count on us looking you up!!!!

Take care & Mele Kalikimaka!!!! - Jeff

BTW - The colors on your SV-211 look familiar. If it's more than coincidence, I'm honored. If not, I'm still honored!
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-30-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
I think that I may have chose the wrong phrase when I said "We're Back". What I meant is that we are re-energizing the riding scene here in Hawaii. No RNR!!! Just riding!!! It's alot more fun being able to ride without the pressure of running the business. Hope that clears up any misunderstanding!

Reid
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-01-2006, 1:24 AM Reply   
eh reid!
i had a spendalicious time out on the water today!! think i figured it out, think we need to play some frank sinatra or sade when i ride so i don't get too amped...lol, bring me down a decibel or two)
much much mahalos for the pulls and unending patience!! you know if you can get me to pull anything you have mad crazy skrills (getting tracy to pop...the true test of greatness as a mentor) i hope your leg treats you right so we can get out again soon!!
get at me when you have chance on the videos, can't wait to di-sect it with my spoon and fork!! mahalo plenty!!
aloha
-tracy}}}}}}}}}
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2006, 5:26 AM Reply   
Man, Ive been trying to get to Hawaii for years. This is real motivation - I will keep you in mind when booking my trip Reid!
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-04-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
Read,

Glad to hear things are kicking off. I miss it there and definately miss riding with the "King" (You) of all teachers. You motivated my riding for years out there. Hopefully, my wife and I will come back to visit soon. I wouldn't mind trying to throw a 1440 of that new kicker and winning worst crash of the year award again.

BTW: I think I still hurt from that Railey Crash!
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-04-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
oops, typing too fast. Sorry Brah.. it's "Reid"

Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-04-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
Here are some more pics for others that haven't been to the worlds best wakeboaring location!

Upload
Upload
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-04-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
What's Up Pops!

Glad to see your still on board. Congratulations on the baby. I got the picture. Has life changed a little? How's Work? Coming to Hawaii anytime soon? Give me a shout if you are.

Later,

Reid
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-05-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
I will be over on Maui in late January. That'd be great to get to ride... How far from Lahaina?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-05-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
Sorry man, there's nothing over there. You can board in the Wailua River on Kauai and several spots on Oahu.
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-05-2006, 11:33 PM Reply   
Sorry Mr. Nebraska,

Totally different island. We're on Oahu. Let us know if you are going to come to Oahu. Maybe we'll hookup then.

Reid
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-06-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
bummer. guess I'll be surfin more :-)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-06-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Yeah I am heading to Maui in a few weeks. Wish there was someone over there to hook up a few rides.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-06-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
I'm on Maui.

Email me if you need surf or kiteboarding
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       12-06-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
Hey Keith,
Congrats on the new baby! How's AZ treating you all? Do you still have the Hooter's wakesetter? I've been good, got engaged this past June, bought a house in SLC, Utah and still trying to ride as much as I can.

Hope all is well! Let me know if you're ever up this way, you always have a place to stay.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-06-2006, 11:35 PM Reply   
Ried, WASSUP!

Hey bra, you get da' fire lit, ehh? Right on bro, good on you for posting this thread! I can't wait to get my 211 back from George and start riding at Keehi Lagoon again!

By the way, to all you WakeWorlders out there, my door and my boat is always open to wakeboarders who come to Hawaii and want to chill, hang out, and ride. PM if you are coming to Oahu and need a place to stay and/or a pull or two, I'll hook you up.

Aloha,

Alan

P.S.

Chris, thanks for the killer Nautique hat you sent me, I never got a chance to send you a thank you card (My Bad). By the way, those hammerheads didn't almost eat you, they just wanted to take a little nibble! LOL!!

P.P.S.S.

Ried, about that RNR thing, we need to talk bro! RNR needs to come back, some how, some way, even if it's only stickers. It's too legendary to let die, you know?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-07-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
wazzzap cuz'n Ryan! Long time! Life is good. Baby is good. Here's a pic of the baby and here's a pic of the boat. Yes, this is a pic of it in the garage because that's where it has been lately since the baby is here. LOL!!! However, i'm getting back into it now that things are calming down. I'm riding tomorrow and Sunday. I'll take pictures! :-)

UploadUpload
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       12-07-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Hey Keith,
You did good man! What's her name? The boat looks like it's in great shape as well. Definitely posts some pics of your session tomorrow, I'm jealous. Our season up in UT ended a little earlier then usual, so the last time I rode was back in light mid to late Sept.Laters!
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-08-2006, 4:46 AM Reply   
Reid, good to see you posting on here about the state of wakeboarding over in Hawaii. You are truly one of the best ambassadors to wakeboarding I ever met.

For those who don't remember, for many years through the early to mid-90's Reid and his partner Lance Brug held the "Hawaiian Pro-Am" contest, always one of the most looked forward to events of the season. Hawaii was a strong selling point of course, but it was also due to the Mahalo spirit the Reid and Lance offered to all their guests. They took great care of everyone for a full week over the Thanksgiving holiday year after year, inviting everyone to be a part of their families for the holidays. They are two first class individuals who put on a great event and were and are exceptional people.

Speaking of Lance Brug, I hear he's ready to pull up the tent stakes and is moving his family to Portland. Boy, he'll certainly show his kids a different type of climate! Those kids are gonna get to expereince a winter chill first hand!

Anyway, Reid, with your energy and dedication you'll have the wake scene there thriving. How is your little one doing? Is there more than one Shimabukuro grom ripper these days?

And of course, how's your riding? Getting your pulls in? Things have come to a grinding halt here in Jersey for a few months.

And finally, how about all the ass your brother Ryan has been kicking with the US speedskating team. Damn, you Shimabukuro's have it going on!
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-08-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm so stoked to see you on TV. There will never be a better man behind the mic. This sport has been so good to us. I was just telling my wife that I feel like its re-energized me. I just wish that I could ride like the past. Those years of riding with straps, low cut boots, boots with so little padding, and the list goes on and on. Its seriously caught up with me. You know what I'm talking about. Well hope to cross paths soon. Keep up the great work, like you always do.

Mahalo Bro,

Reid
Old     (wakerocker)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
Hey Reid,

I haven't been on Wakeworld in way too long - been riding on Cape Cod in MA for years. I thought I'd check the site to see if there's a scene in HI there and came across this post - I am moving out to Honolulu middle of January and would absolutely love to get a pull / tap into the wake scene. I was out there in August but have no idea where Keehi lagoon is - pics look sick I'd love to see it. I'm trying to decide if it's practical to bring my board all the way out there- as bad as I want to ride in HI it would take some convincing. Shoot me an email sometime if you have a chance. Thanks bro.