Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (andywake)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-09-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
Hello, does anyone have any good suggestions on where to mount a spare trailer tire for a Super Air Nautique thats a V-drive? Would love some suggestions. THANKS!!!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-09-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
Under the bow sideways or in the back sideways. Make sure you carry a jack and tire iron that fits the lug nuts or it is pointless to carry a spare.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-09-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
Saying it's pointless is kind of an arrogant statement. If you have a spare but no jack or lug wrench, you can always call AAA or a tow service to assist. Then at least your only out some time but ultimately get to your destination and don't need to tow your boat/trailer to a repair station. I used to run a towing company, I have done this several times for ppl.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-09-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
Well then you also know you do not need a spare tire to continue driving with a tandem trailer. Just pull the flat tire, and tie the axle up. So what is the point of carrying a spare?

I was mostly giving him a reminder to carry the necessary tools. Being a tow truck driver you would also know how many times someone bought a used car and then found out it did not have a jack in it, and had to call you guys instead of being able to take care of it in a few minutes themselves.

BTW where is your advice on where to mount the spare?
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-09-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
You covered the standard locations, there was no need to repeat it.
Old     (shortman)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-09-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
Not sure what your trailer set-up looks like, but I will assume it's alot like mine. I am fabricating a mount with a spindle that bolts to the side of the trailer about three feet from the tounge on the port side. The spare tire will be mounted vertically to a complete spare hub. I am only doing this because I will be towing long distances, wouldn't bother if I was towing local. Hope this helps.
Old     (shortman)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-09-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?s=353d92c833e6d9056873dc270f098d7c& threadid=1791 This isn't mine but is similar to the set-up I'm building.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-09-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
If you are going to mount the spare tire on the side near the tongue, check the tow vehicle bumper clearance as some trailers will hit the bumper. Because it is below the drivers line of sight you can not see when they are about to make contact. Also make sure it is not going to get in the way of the boat being loaded a little crooked.
Upload
Might want to throw a set of these on while you are at it. http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/home.php?cat=161
Upload

Nothing wrong with welding on the trailer, then painting it. Definitely the cleanest way to mount the spare, and having it mounted under will help prevent theft, by making it harder to access, along with keeping it out of your way. Theft of spare tires is actually pretty common.
Old     (shortman)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-09-2006, 9:48 PM Reply   
Do you mount that in addition to the stock prop cage and then mount the spare to it?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-10-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Mine is mounted flat under the bow.
Upload
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-11-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Do most people who have a tandem trailer carry a spare? Just got a new one and am trying to figure it out too?

Any good ideas for mounting on an extreme trailer?