Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-17-2011, 7:01 PM Reply   
Tried wakeboarding for the first time and I was not able to get up. I do have a tower so I thought that would help. Watched some how to videos and did what they said. Squat until the boats pull you out, keep elbows outside your knees, etc. The driver would gradually speed up. What was happening is the board was going under the water and I would loose my grip. Any tips?
Old    BenjTrogdon            06-17-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
Probably trying to stand up too soon
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-17-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
Think small, stay in a ball. knees up, arms out.
Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-17-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
One of the problems could be that I was using a ski rope. The handle was not nearly wide enough when I squat in the water.
Old     (Caughtmyedge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2011, 9:19 PM Reply   
It is okay if the board goes underwater, as long as it continues to be angled upwards. It sounds like you are being pulled out over the board which will cause the board to tilt downwards. Once this happens, it's all over. Take a non-water soluble marking pencil and make a mark on each forearm, halfway between the elbow and the wrist. Then make a similar mark on each shin halfway between the knee and the ankle.

Before you signal to the driver that you are ready, match up the marks on the left knee and left elbow and the marks on the right knee and right elbow. Do not let the marks move apart when the boat takes off. When the boat takes off, maintain exactly this position while counting out six seconds. Unless the driver starts out extremely slowly, you will be on top of the water by the end of six seconds, and you can stand up and let the board straighten out.

The reason for this overly methodical approach is that many first timers consciously or subconsciously abandon the starting position too early and struggle unnecessarily trying to get up.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-18-2011, 4:59 AM Reply   
If your arms or leags are getting tired, then you are working too hard. The more you relax the easier it is. Focus on position and make sure that the driver pulls you nice and smooth. Like others have said, once on top of the water wait a few seconds to turn. This video is pretty good demo of what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1GhUpIcc0
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
When you begin to get pulled up, point your toes toward the boat. This will push the water under your board, forcing you to get pushed up on top of the water.
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-18-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
And keep at it. You will get it.

I had a mental block -- I tried many times over several years but could never get it. My buddy put me on a BIG ass board behind his boat, told me to sit on my butt like I'm on my snowboard, and just stand up when the boat pulls. Sounds simple right? First pull, up. Since then, I've NEVER failed to get up. Muscle memory is weird like that.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-18-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAr View Post
First pull, up. Since then, I've NEVER failed to get up. Muscle memory is weird like that.
So true. Once you pop up, you will never have trouble again. My wife wanted to learn, but would give up after 2 or 3 pulls on each trip out. On her 3rd trip out she planed up and said that she could not believe how easy it is it come up once you figure out what it is suppose to feel like.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-18-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
try just doing nothing but curling up in a ball. I've found that if I just hold the handle and stay that way, without doing anything, I come up and ride all curled up till I stand up. The board does all the work I do nothing. Like seriously, don't do ANYTHING. don't move, don't pull, don't stand up, don't lean forward, don't lean back, just hang on.
Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-19-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
I got up yesterday! I figured it out. I found that when the boat starts to pull, stay in a ball and turn the board. to the riding position. I popped right out.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-19-2011, 5:42 PM Reply   
Cool. Great feeling right?