Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-05-2005, 12:29 AM Reply   
She's on the front of the Liquid Force website, yet she was riding a Hyperlite board in Orlando. I haven't heard any news from either LF or Hyperlite on this, so we're working on it.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-05-2005, 4:25 AM Reply   
She's riding for hyerlite now.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-05-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
She is with HyperLite...as before I wonder why this news never made it into the "truth". Maybe they should call it "The truth as we see it".
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-05-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
Since the Truth is basically an PR piece, I can understand why they wouldn't want to mention the loss of a popular rider in it. In fact, it would be silly to expect them to report any kind of "bad" news in a PR piece.

However, they should probably take her pic and name off the front page of their website! :-)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-05-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
I'm almost surprised she left, because hype hasn't really been that great when it comes to supporting female riders (lately). Sure, they have a few gals on the team but they're kind of pushed back, and emily was like grade-a talent on liquid. That's actually one of the cool things about liquid. Oh well, I'm sure she has her reasons and I wish her the best of luck.
Old    jzwake            05-05-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
Since Tara Hamilton, Hyperlite has not had a top female rider. Emily should stay on the forefront since she is one of the top 2 figures in womens wakeboarding. they haven't done much in the way of marketing towards women in the last 4 years, this is probably their fresh start.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-05-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
Well at least Emily got a sweet trip to Powell out of LF before going to ride for Hyperlite.
And now she gets to ride @ Radar Lake..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   

quote:

And now she gets to ride @ Radar Lake.

vs. riding in warm weather and all day butter conditions in mexico w/ the lf crew? f that! radar lake ain't all that.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-05-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
To each there own.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-06-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
By JZwake (jzwake) on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:01 am: Edit Post Delete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
Since Tara Hamilton, Hyperlite has not had a top female rider. Emily should stay on the forefront since she is one of the top 2 figures in womens wakeboarding. they haven't done much in the way of marketing towards women in the last 4 years, this is probably their fresh start.

What about Maeghan Major? She has alot of titles, and is w/ Hyperlite.
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
Unless she is riding naked...who cares.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-07-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
Yes, meghan is with hype, but they really don't promote her much...do you know what I'm saying? Where as with LF, emily had a board, ads, a video part in the team vid--the whole nine.

Yes, hyperlite does have some gals on the team (isn't lauren harf one also?) but you don't see much of them...
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-08-2005, 4:28 AM Reply   
Harf is, so is Loe.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-09-2005, 5:32 AM Reply   
The girls board line outsells all the male pro models combined (total sold volume for the company boards and bindings)...it is also the highest profit as there is no royalty to share with an athlete and they are the least expensive to produce (they are made outside the US). I wouldn't look for Hyperlite to do anything different than have been...why would they?
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-09-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
Seems to me that there is a lot of emphasis on Melissa in the LF arena this year and some of last. She has stepped it up and now is sporting a lot of her own equipment. I highly doubt LF would push out a great rider like Emily however makes ya wonder if that helped in her decision making.

Bill
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-09-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
whoa! a bill sighting!
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-09-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   

Always present, not so vocal.

Bill
Old     (more_betterness)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-10-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
http://wakeworld.com/Galleries/GetImage.asp?GalleryID=267&ImageID=133

Here is a pic from the PWT.
Old    jibber13            05-10-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
wonder if Melissa's new boyfriend had anything to do with the changes at LF
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-11-2005, 4:29 AM Reply   
Another thing that's crazy is that LF is starting up their women's divison, and I'm pretty sure they're supposed to make an all women's vid. Again, considering that info, it's one surprising move! But whateves, whateves. I mean, emily is the strongest women in wakeboarding, according to alliance.

One question, with all of the celebrity worshipping and overall interest on behalf of males in wakeboarding vs. females, how in the hell does a women's line beat out all of the male pro models combined?
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-11-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
All I can tell you is that reps for both HL and Liquid acknowledge that mens pro model board sales have fallen off big time while sales of girls boards and bindings continue strong and are actually increasing. If that were not the case why would Liquid be starting an entire department dedicated to it?
Old    jzwake            05-11-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
Meagan major pretty much stopped riding full time after her good season 3 years ago to operate a Board shop (trinity).

She is not at emily or Dallas' level now.

Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2005, 6:42 AM Reply   
I can assure you, that as Melissa's new boyfriend, I have nothing to do with the changes at LF.

Clayton, do tell. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-11-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
JZ, Maeghan still rides and competes full time...everyone has their opinion about style and level, since I am biased I'll keep mine to myslef.

(Message edited by ktm250 on May 11, 2005)
Old    jzwake            05-11-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
Ok, she still ride full time BUT she obviously took her self out of the spotlight.

My original point was more of hyperlite doesn;t still have a top Female rider (one on dallas / emily's level) anymore. Maegan fell off the pace as did about every other rider 2 years ago.
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-11-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
JZwake - They have Emily now don't they?
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-12-2005, 5:11 AM Reply   
Obviously I disagree (somewhat)...Maeghan is the only girl landing blind inverts in contests and Emily has not done a new trick in 3 years. I do agree that Maeghan has more going on outside the sport with school, charity work and owning the shop, so you point about the "spotlight" is well taken.

Sorry but I am not a fan of Dallas's riding style (or lack of style)...yes she rides with power and goes big, but in that category I prefer Tara Hamilton...IMHO she has power and style. Not trying to argue as your points are well taken, unfortunalty I dont think any of this will save the pro women's end of the sport from the slow painfull death spiral it in in.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-12-2005, 5:27 AM Reply   
i don't remember emily copeland being in relentless...
Old    jibber13            05-12-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
zedz
what does maeghan land blind? (she made a tootsie at 99 worlds)
dallas and emily(roll 2 blind,toostsie)
melissa (wraped toeside roll to blind)
get with the program!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-12-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
Tantrum to blind at X-Games 2004. Maeghan was the first to land tootise in a competition @ 99 Worlds. Emily has not done tootsie in a contest in quite sometime, sorry I forgot Dallas doing it as well.

Also wrapped roll to blind hardly counts...if you count that then add KGB to the list...much harder trick. I think I'm on top of it.
Old    jzwake            05-12-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
Maestro, I think thats implied as its the topic. But I did mistype Doesn't for didn't.

Emily is doing O/A spins 3 + 5 that she wasn;t doing 3 years ago.

I know your a Major fan but I cant put her in the same league as Emily and dallas. I don't care for dallas, or any girls style but you have to respect that Dallas is doing it Better and Bigger then any other girl and some of the guys.

Maegan Major could easily end up being the most successful in the end for the facts that you pointed out (shop, charity, etc)
Old    jibber13            05-12-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
zedz,
you forgot that dallas and emily also do roll 2 blind in comps when they need to
what you see in the comps are what they need to do so seeing that all the other girls are so weak they do what they need for the money. that's the problem with comp riding
maeghan has made t2b less then a handful of times in her life in case you haven't been keeping track! and if your keeping up with the past buster schools all at landing blind
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-12-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
Good points...I'll go with you on the Dallas "bigger" part but perhaps its best to agree to disagree on Emily.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-12-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
I keep pretty good track of what Maeghan lands and when... I agree about the contest format; however, I have never seen Emily land RTB in a contest (attempt yes).
Old    skatie            05-12-2005, 3:36 PM Reply   
jz - have you seen melissa ride lately? you don't think she has style??? imo she has the best style of the girls out there.
Old    jzwake            05-13-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
I've seen melissa like most others have, in the new videos. Sure, she and leslie kent have a nice "style" in comparison to the other girls but I am looking for style that transends genders. Good style for a girl doesn't do anything for me.

remember, style is really a subjective. everyone has style, their own. You Can't Fake it. if you could I'd ride a lot more like Lyman.