Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-04-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
I debated for a while on taking this route, but they leave me no choice.

Back in April I started looking for a new boat. I was leaning towards Supra so I went to the nearest dealer, Land O’Lakes Marine. I talked to the owner for a while and he seemed pretty genuine for a salesman. I saw one I liked and test-drove it that day. There were only a few minor things that needed replaced. Right off the bat I noticed the steering cable needed replaced & the swim platform matting was ruined from the previous owner spilling gas on it. When I mentioned the platform, he immediately said he had one on order. The only other things I noticed were the boat buddy was broken on the trailer and the boat needed a bath. He said he had some guy that completely detailed the boats and it would look immaculate when I picked it up. I went home and thought about it for a few days then called him up (Tuesday) and asked him if he could have those few things fixed before the weekend, he agreed. So far so good.

He called me Friday afternoon and I obviously left work early to go pick it up. When I showed up I noticed that instead of being detailed, they sprayed it off with the hose. Also the platform & boat buddy hadn’t been replaced. Because I was pumped from getting another boat, I didn’t sweat it too bad. He said he would have those in shortly and immediately replace, but he did manage to replace the steering cable and one of the fat sac pumps. On my way out back to hook it up to my truck, I noticed an old man (with a brand new, probably 80K fishing boat) yelling at the service techs about having to drag his boat back and forth for them to work on the same problem repeatedly. Still pumped, I kept walking towards my boat. When I tried to hook the trailer lights to my truck I noticed a ball of wires with tape on them. I wasn’t able to hook them to my truck to test, but again.... I shrugged it off and drove home. The next day we packed up the kids and headed to the lake. The boat drove good and everyone was having fun. After a few runs the boat wouldn’t start back up. I let it sit for a while and it eventually started. I thought maybe the battery was weak. I put it on the charger that night and noticed the battery was half the size of the stock one. The next day I did it all over again and the same thing happened. I called the owner and he said it sounded like the alternator, which he would replace as well as putting the right battery in it. I drug it back up there Friday morning and dropped it off. The inboard tech said he probably had one lying around and would try to get done that weekend. The next week I didn’t hear from them and that was before Memorial Day weekend. I called and left several messages, but no response. I called for almost a week with not even a return call. The service manager finally called me back and said he would try to have it ready sometime that weekend (which didn’t happen). On the 2nd week I got a call from the owner who was in an accident a few days prior and apologized for his shop. Feeling bad for him I didn’t go crazy. He assured me I would get it back the following weekend. I kept reminding him about the platform, boat buddy & trailer lights also needing replaced before I pick it up. That Friday I showed up to pick it up and the only thing that was fixed was the alternator, trailer lights & the right size battery was put in it. He said the platform was on backorder and the boat buddy just hadn’t been ordered yet. Just happy to have the boat back I didn’t sweat it. I went around to hook it up and decided to give it a “walk around” and noticed that when driving it back on the trailer they hit the prop on it. It took a chunk out of the trailer and mauled the prop. When I pointed it out the tech said, “Was it that way before?”. I assured him that it wasn’t. He immediately fixed it. Hoping the shaft wasn’t also bent I left. The next day I started the drill all over again. Took the boat out and noticed the tach and speedo were off. Not being life threatening I kept boarding. And then… it wouldn’t start back up. All I kept thinking about was the old man with the fishing boat (I think god was trying to tell me something). So, being fairly mechanical I assumed that it had to be the starter due to the fact that it was only failing when hot. I called the owner to let him know and he said bring it in and we’ll fix it. Not wanting to go through another “servicing” with them, I pulled the starter, picked up a new one (from them) and replaced it (which is a bi*ch to replace on this boat unless you’re a smurf). That seemed to do the trick though.

I was now in month three & none of the other things had been taken care of and to top it off I still hadn’t received my new tag and registration. Again I called him and complained, he said he was putting his office manager on it and to call her if these things weren’t taken care of ASAP. A week later the registration and tag showed up, but nothing else. Now in month four, I’ve left several unanswered messages. When I do talk to the owner he’s nice as hell, but IMO actions speak louder.

So, am I being petty or is this sh**ty service after the sale?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-04-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
Ummm its definitely shi**y service. Just went through the same kind of ordeal as you, over the last year, so we talked to different dealer for another boat Co. to price what we needed, and ended up just getting a new boat through them, and saying to hell with our old dealer. Good Luck, but Id be raisin hell by now.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-04-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
You're alot more patient than I'd be.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            08-04-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
I saw you can not let them push you around... I would be bugging them everyday tryin to get my stuff.... I live 30 minutes from them and I know the owner... cool guy, but I havn't heard many posstive things about there service... unless its a malibu.. then I heard tehy like cater to you.. but I hope it turns out good!
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-05-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
I actually looked at that exact same boat back in April. I had an even worse experience with another dealer in the same area. I couldn't get the sales guy or the owner to even walk outside to show me the boats, the lot porter (detail guy) did instead. Keep in mind that I had explained over the phone to the owner that I was coming in to his shop because I was so dissatisfied with my previous dealer. I gave the lot porter my business card and asked that he give it to the owner and have him call me when he wasn't so busy... no call. I rode down to Bay Area Watersports and have been a very happy guy ever since. I live on a small lake in Brandon that has a lot of boats purchased from LOL Marine. There are horror stories from Malibu owners as well as non Bu owners. It's a shame, too, because not too long ago they were the best dealer around.
Hopefully this will serve as a wake up call for them. You aren't the only game in town anymore.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-05-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
Hey Scott, I know the lake you live on. I've boarded there before & grew up right around the corner.

If I would've got that kind of service before I bought it I would've went elsewhere. The problem is that he was extremely helpful.....until the sale was complete. Another irony here is that when I first talked to him he said that you never hear about good marina service, only bad. I guess they've been down this road before.

Chris, the owner is cool as hell which makes it harder to raise hell over there.

What other Supra dealers are in the Tampa Bay area? Needless to say any future purchases or services won't be at Land O Lakes Marine. I wish I would've read a post like this back in April.....
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-05-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
Eric, that is bad buisness. Hope it all works out for you.

I looked at your picture under your name why is your boat so far away from the bow bumper on the trailer?
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-05-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Big E, that was taken after the boat wouldn't start at the ramp and I had to winch it up by hand onto the trailer. The ramp drops off and I couldn't back down any further into the water.

Needless to say, the first couple of times on the water involved alot of cussing & throwing s**t.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-06-2006, 5:32 AM Reply   
I agree, Eric, sounds like he's had to use that line a few times in the past. To disprove that theory, I'm very happy with my dealer. I have lots of great things to say about them.
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-06-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have bought 2 new boats from Southeast Correct Craft and all I can say is that they treat you like family. The sales department is tops and the service department is outstanding. They know your name and have a real interest in you and your boat. I have a 2003 SANTE and it's a great boat. If you are looking for a new or used boat check them out in Orlando Florida. I live in South Florida and the 3 hour drive is well worth the time and money for my boat.