Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-15-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
Just curious. Last weekend I drove from central il to Atlanta to get a boat. 9 hours one way. The boat was not as advertised so I decided to walk. Tomorrow I am driving to Minneapolis which is 10 hours one way. I hope it lives up to my expectations. 97 super sport by the way.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-15-2013, 5:50 PM Reply   
Yeah I did a 12 hour drive and walked on one too. Quite the learning experience.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-15-2013, 5:52 PM Reply   
How do you keep from not beating the people misrepresenting their boats and wasting that much time and money to come see it???? Hopefully this next boat will be the one Ben!
Old     (04avyboarder)      Join Date: May 2012       07-15-2013, 6:04 PM Reply   
I drove 7 hours one way to walk... Did a compression check on the spot and found motor had a dead cylinder... All I could do to leave without getting arrested. Plus side is wife drove home and I found my current boat. Was the first to call, just mins after add had been posted. Met me @ lake 10 mins from home.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2013, 6:20 PM Reply   
25 miles. Too good and too close to pass up. I couldn't imagine doing that many hours but for a deal I guess I would.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-15-2013, 6:23 PM Reply   
I was not happy thats for sure. Plus it was 240$ in gas wasted. I'm buying this boat from a reputable dealer so I'm sure I won't run into the same problem.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-15-2013, 7:11 PM Reply   
From Seattle down to Portland, OR. About 3 hours each way.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-15-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
12 hours each way, 19 engine hours on a 2012 boat, bought from a dealership... Got screwed by the dealer... Still fighting with dealer.

Won't do that again
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2013, 7:44 PM Reply   
10 miles....
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-15-2013, 7:44 PM Reply   
I sold my first 210 to a guy in Shepigan Canada and I live in Louisville, KY. He and two buddies drove 28 hours to me and it took them 32 hours to get home.
Old     (WakeNasty)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-15-2013, 9:03 PM Reply   
My brother in law and I drove from North Dakota to Washingtonto pick up my 98 Air Nautique last summer. Greatest trip of my life.
Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       07-15-2013, 9:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
I was not happy thats for sure. Plus it was 240$ in gas wasted. I'm buying this boat from a reputable dealer so I'm sure I won't run into the same problem.
I live in ATL was it a dealer or a private seller?

First boat I drove 4 hours one way to pick it up after driving over there and back to check it out the weekend before. Second boat I drove about 2.5 hours one way sight unseen other than pics from dealer website.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-15-2013, 10:34 PM Reply   
I went from Nipawin, SK, Canada to Phoenix, AZ with two other buddies. It was a 37 hour trip there. We made it 35 hours to Flagstaff, AZ with only stopping for food and fuel. Stayed the night in Flagstaff (pulled in super late) and had the 2 hour drive into Phoenix the next morning. 2300 miles (3600ish km) one way.

Drove Phoenix to Amarillo, TX and up north from there all the way home. Just under 4000 km on the way home (2500 miles). Trailer towed so good behind the beast of a dodge. Averaged 18 us mpg empty and 14 us mpg towing at 75 mph with 04 cummins 6spd 4x4.

One amazing trip I will never forget!

Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-16-2013, 1:18 AM Reply   
I drove from Little Rock AR to San Antonio TX....9hrs/600 miles one way. I turned great though we made a mini vacation out of it and the boat was represented well...sorry about your luck btw!!!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-16-2013, 4:46 AM Reply   
I drove from central Illinois to Virginia for my first boat (was already going for a wedding, so just had to tow an empty trailer out). Then, the second boat, I drove from Central Illinois to nearly Omaha (probably about 7-8 hours each way). Both of those worked great. I will say that the second, I had someone check out for me before I went out there. In between those, I drove to Memphis to pick up an older 2001. Got there, and there was serious gell damage that had not been shown in the pics. The trailer was also trash, but the seller had warned us the trailer was a little rough. I offered less for it due to the gell issues, but when he wouldn't come down, we walked. For what it's worth, it was at a dealer.
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-16-2013, 5:11 AM Reply   
Drove 6hrs/285mi each way for mine. Got super lucky and the boat was everything and then some that the owner said. We had agreed on price ahead of time so we looked it over together, then test drove it in his communities private lake despite wicked wind. Everything checked out, and I hitched up at the ramp. Drove back to his house and did the paperwork. Whole drive there and back made in one day. Thankfully I had a friend for company, but I did all the driving.
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-16-2013, 5:21 AM Reply   
Here at N3 Boatworks, in Indianapolis, Indiana we have customers come from all over to buy our boats and custom accessories. With all the used boats on the market these days, its hard telling what some people will do to just get rid of a boat. Here at N3 Boatworks we do full video and pictures of all boats and condition, not to mention we put our used boats through the best detailing you will ever see from a dealership. But hey, that is what sets us apart from the rest of the "other dealers" out there. We are two steps ahead of the game. we aren't just a boat dealer. We are a Nautique Dealer. Anything else is just a boat!
www.n3boatworks.com
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-16-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
Drove twice 6hr each way in one day to Knoxville TN from High Point NC. First time to buy my first boat a 95 super sport and the second time to buy my 06 supra 24V. Both times left in the morning got there a-little after lunch test drove them for about 45 min then drove straight home.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-16-2013, 6:51 AM Reply   
30 min
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-16-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
160 miles each way
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-16-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
Drove 9.5 hours from SC to Ind to get my boat from a private seller. Storming like crazy for the lake test so did not get to test everything. Bought and have been in love with it since. 17k 1995 SS Mint just like advertised. Less than 500hrs ( 508 now)
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-16-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
Drove 7 hours to buy my first boat (2-3 years old), didn't drive it (late winter, snowed on tow home), but it looked good. brought it home and it was great for 2 years, sold it and bought a (factory) new one from dealer about 2 hours away.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
I drove 12 hours one way through the middle of the night from Albuquerque to Corona, CA. I already had a trusted person check out the boat so that wasn't an issue. It was a good price and I was worried it was going to get sold from under us, but it all worked out and we made a weekend of it seeing family and friends.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-16-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
Drove from Chicago to just north of Detroit, about a 4.5 hours one way. Left the house at 3am figuring get up there, test drive, get money transferred and be out of there at latest early afternoon. Ended up test driving, transferring money, and getting all of that done by about 11am. Then sat in a parking lot until 4pm waiting for the title to be released from where the guy had his loan through. Because of that we drove all the way home in bad thunderstorms at night. It was all worth it in the end as I got a 05 Supra 21V with 300 hrs on it for 28k which I have been extremely happy with the last 2 years I have had it
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       07-16-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
Drove from MB Factory in Atwater, Ca to Vancouver BC....1500 miles later...shes home
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2013, 10:10 AM Reply   
I've bought around 10 boats from 800 miles or greater. I pretty much assume I'm going to have to replace all the upholstery, stereo and an additional $1,000 of stuff. Flip it and do it again. Never had to replace an engine, only had to rebuild one transmission.
Old     (WakeNasty)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-16-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
Well... Did you get the boat?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-16-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
My story isn't about my drive to get a boat, but the ordeal someone went through to buy one I was selling. In 06 I listed my 04 Supra SSV gravity games with roughly 350 hours on this website. The boat was very accurately represented and priced well IMO. I started getting emails from a guy in Mexico who obviously spoke English as a second language. The red flags immediately went up on my end getting emails on it in not so great English. We emailed back and forth for several weeks and he asked for pics of different things which I sent him. After a few weeks, we negotiated and he told me he was going to make the drive from Guadalajara Mexico to North Texas (22 hours) to pick it up. I was skeptical to say the least, but I had the boat ready to go and took the day off that he was expected to show up. Sure enough, that afternoon, I get a phone call from him saying he was about an hour away from the boat ramp I told him I'd meet him at. He showed up with 2 buddies, 1 of which spoke perfect English and Spanish and helped out in the times where we had language issues. We went out and did the water test, rode, etc.....It was actually quite cool as clearly they had never ridden behind a true sacked out wake boat and you couldn't wipe the smiles off of their faces looking at the wake, not to mention when they would ride.

So he then agreed to buy it. He called his bank and had the money wired to my bank here in the US which held the title. When I called my bank and informed them of the situation they told me they couldn't verify the funds arrived for 48 hours minimum. I won't mention names (Bank of the West which I'll never do business with again). When I explained the situation to him, he was totally cool and agreed to stay 2 days until the funds cleared. They wanted to go shopping at various places here in the US anyways so I took the following 2 days off and took them to various places, Bass Pro, TXMC, Cabelas, etc........They bought more stuff than I'd ever seen before. 2 days after the funds were transferred, my POS bank still wouldn't or couldn't verify that the funds had been received. I had him have his bank fax me all of the documentation of the funds transfer and had my accountant verify it and decided to go ahead and let him take the boat and head home with it on good faith. After spending a couple of days with them, I knew it wasn't a scam.

Now the fun really begins. He knew that my bank was going to have to send him the title as they were the ones who had it and getting the boat across the border was going to be a challenge with only a bill of sale. It ended up, that when they got to the border, the big problem was not the lack of paperwork, but the fact that every single nook and cranny of the boat was filled with stuff they had bought here, not to mention the entire bed of the truck and back seat of the truck (all three had to ride in the front bench home lol). They ended up spending around 12 hours held up at the border before finally breaking out cash and moving on. Once they got home, of course the title never shows up. My bank swore they overnighted it as soon as the funds cleared (which wasn't an issue). We waited about a month and the title never showed up. Meanwhile he can't do anything with the boat w/o the title for the boat and trailer. I then had to file for a lost title here in TX which was approved and issued to me in my name and took about 6 weeks. I then was finally able to overnight it to him which he actually received.

Looking back on it, if the roles were reversed, I might have killed someone or myself. All the BS he had to deal with, was all on the US side of the border, not South. He was all square from day one and how he kept his cool is beyond me. All is well that ends well I guess and the boat has treated him super well and we've kept in touch over facebook even to this day. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go down there and get a pull, but the years have gone by and it still has yet to happen. The fact that he would even entertain the idea speaks volumes to his character. He is a member of this board (how he found my boat originally) and hopefully he chimes in on his experience on it lol.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-17-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
We drove about 7 hours last Thanksgiving weekend to pick up our new 2011 Supreme V212. We live in Caldwell, Idaho near Boise and drove to Vancouver, WA. The boat was the last new V212 left, since they don't make that model anymore. We got a great deal on the price, we love the boat and we are surfing the heck out it, so the trip was totally worth it!
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-17-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
Stainfield- Crazy story.

I agree, The Bank of the West is EFFING TERRIBLE.

The guy I bought my boat from had a lien (loan) from Bank of the West. At first they claimed to have the Boat Title, and not the trailer title. After some digging it turned out they had the Trailer Title but the Boat Title just a UCC lien. It took them a full week of constant pestering to get them the FAX a copy of both to my bank.

After I paid of the existing lien during purchase it took then 4 (FOUR) weeks to send me a copy of the trailer title, and a incomplete UCC form. I attempt to get them to fill out the UCC form correctly, but after 1 week of failed attempts, I just made one for them since it did not require a signature.

Bottom line. NEVER USE Bank of the West, or in a similar experience US BANK. I'm patient, but both are just plain incompetent.
Old     (jk13)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-17-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
I searched from May to October before finally giving up for the season.

Two weeks later I took one last-ditch effort look on CL and saw an ad with no pictures, an inept description, and no phone number. But it was 30 miles away. Got an answer back and headed up to look. Boat was pretty oxidized and the prop was chewed down to 11" from 13". Interior and engine bay was good though, just dirty carpet and vinyl. Couldn't test drive it because "it was already winterized" (all hoses and batteries still hooked up??). Went home.

Called back and said if I can test drive it I'll buy it for $xxxx. And if I don't buy it I'll pay for re-winterization. He agreed. Met him at the boat ramp the day after Thanksgiving and pushed the ice away from the landing to get to open water. Boat ran great (35 degrees outside), gave him cash, hitched up and took it home. He even knocked more money off because "his brother lost the cover".

Wet sanded and buffed, new graphics, tuned up, new prop and cover. Boat has been awesome for 5 years and I could sell it for more than I have in it. Still things I'd like to do to it like a rub rail and new gauges but it's nice enough as is.

Would have driven 8-12 hours for one in good shape. But I'm glad things worked out the way they did.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-17-2013, 12:31 PM Reply   
I drove from akron,oh to lake norman nc. about 7 hours each way. Happy with the boat but wish i got a v drive. Currently tossing around the idea of just going new.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-17-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
Found poor description on a listing, called, turned out to be legit just unknowledgeable 2 month owner, checked it out, four hours each way, first time left it there, a month later - second time picked it up.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-17-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
16hrs. From Erie PA to Tampa FL. To get my brother-in-laws boat. Close to the same the next year Erie to Pensacola FL. To get my boat.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-17-2013, 8:26 PM Reply   
I drove a total of 20 hours yesterday, 10 each way to Minneapolis to pickup the boat. It was at Minnesota Inboards and they were great. The boat had a very thorough inspection and it was everything I was expecting. Took it out tonight for a set and it was awesome, cant wait to add ballast.

Photobucket is not working for me. Sorry no photos.

Last edited by brichter14; 07-17-2013 at 8:32 PM. Reason: photo problems
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-17-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
congrats dude... Matt at MN inboard is a good dude.

Ya know.. Us folks here in MN are known for being nice. Certainly you could have gotten someone to give it a look over prior to driving ten hours. Sounds like it worked out thought. Congrats,
Old     (WakeNasty)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-17-2013, 8:54 PM Reply   
^^^ Minnesota nice.

Congratulations. I looked at the boat online it looks like a hot boat.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-18-2013, 6:01 AM Reply   
We took it out last night. Had 7 ppl come and it has no ballast ATM. Wake was really nice,makes everything so much easier than behind my sea ray. I love it!
Old     (WakeNasty)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-18-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
Definitely a great boat. Welcome to the Nautique family.
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       07-18-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
Drove from Indiana to just outside of Georgia to American Boat Brokers on Lake Lanier and the boat was described perfectly. Took it for a test drive in freezing temps and huge waves and was very impressed with the power and the overall condition. Took it back to the shop they winterized it for me and we drove the 11 hours home in snow and ice. Awesome weekend trip with a buddy and a great purchase with a dealership i would reccommend to anyone!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-18-2013, 11:49 AM Reply   
My old VLX, I drove from San Diego to Witchita picked it up and drove straight back with a buddy of course
Old     (Austinb23)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-18-2013, 12:06 PM Reply   
someone i know drove form Houston to vagus to get there boat
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-18-2013, 1:14 PM Reply   
I drove 8 hours each way to pick up my 05 Mobius LSV... price was fantastic and the owner threw in a whole bunch of extra stuff... got it home took it to my lake and fired it up.. NO OIL PRESSURE! i freaked out of course ... called the guy and he walked me through it... the wire had come off that went to the oil pressure gauge... everything has been perfect ever since... god that scared the hell outta me.

geoff
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-18-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
Drove to Oklahoma City from Denver. Got a flat tire on the trailer at the Kansas Colorado border on my way home with no spare. Middle of nowhere at 9pm and no cell phone reception. Forgot to bring tools and my lug wrench didn't fit the trailer. Limped to the next exit which turned out to be an exit to a closed factory and a trailer park but I ran into an awesome stranger named Rick who had a toolbox on his pickup. He helped me take the wheel off and I limped to the next town where instead of help I found a police officer that pulled me over because I forgot to turn off my high beams, didn't have a license plate on the trailer because OK doesn't have license plates on trailers, and my trailer wiring was a bit corroded and I didn't have a left turn signal. After that I built up the courage to drive on three wheels with the hub of the fourth just inches off the ground at 55 mph so I got back on the freeway which got me home at almost 2 am. During the two week period after I got it back I had to have all three of the remaining tires repaired even though they all looked to be in good condition but at least they all held up for the remainder of that trip home. I'd do it again though. It's almost impossible to get a Correct Craft in Colorado without taking a drive because we don't have a dealer in town.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-18-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
Had to make a new photobucket account, heres the new toy.