Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (SDEndurance)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-27-2011, 12:44 AM Reply   
Hi! I'm looking for some advice on board size. I recently got a Liquid Force Angel 138. This is the first board I've own. Previously I've ridden a LF Omega 139, LF Melissa 137, LF Jett 134, LF Jett 136, and LF Luna 133. The Omega was horrible too heavy and it had fins and I felt like I couldn't manuver it. The Luna was horrible I face planted just buttersliding and it kept sinking. I loved the Melissa and the Jett but both were out of my price range. I've ridden the Angel twice and have liked it okay so far....not as much as the Jett but still well. Everyone is telling me its too big for me. I still have time to exchange it for a 134 or a 130. I don't know if I should or not.

About me. I'm 5'5" and weigh 130. I've been riding for 2 years. I love surface tricks....I can do surface 360s both regular and switch. I can go in and out of the wake backwards. I can do small one wake jumps and 180 ollies. Any advice on which size would be better for me? Thanks
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2011, 4:58 AM Reply   
If you can do all that on the 138,it sounds like it's okay.134-136 is what most people would recommend for you.Only you know what feels best to you.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2011, 4:16 AM Reply   
Would try the 134, or switch brands. Look on the companies web site for sizing/ weight ratings. It depends on how fast your riding too. If your sinking on a board you may want to go up 1 size or bump up your speed by 1-2 mph .I can't see why someone of your size would sink on a 133, I'm 200lbs and ride on a 138 just fine. But would agree that a 138 is overkill for you.
Let us know what works.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-29-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
In my experience, longer boards make me ride better (within limits of course). If you can swing the board around and do your surface tricks no problem with the 138, I see no reason to switch. More surface area should lead to more flotation and more pop...along with the downside of a slight increase in weight. Just remember that 4 cm is really only 1.5 inches...so really, not that big of a difference (i.e. I wouldn't worry about it...if you like your board, keep riding it and forget about the size).
Old     (SDEndurance)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-01-2011, 12:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. I swapped it for a 134 and am gonna try it this weekend. I'm wondering about any insight on a 134 having harder landings than a 138...?
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-01-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
I would think that landings depend on the bottom profile of the board. However with less surface area on a smaller board I would think that it will sink a little deeper into the water thus creating a softer landing. just my thought.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-01-2011, 5:55 AM Reply   
At your weight there shouldn't be any hard landings.Landing on edge will soften your landings even way out in the flats.I haven't noticed much difference between my wifes 134cm and my 140cm landing,but i get lots more pop with my 140.