Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-05-2011, 5:21 PM Reply   
I'm looking for help mounting my EQ, there is no place to mount it under the dash, I fabbed up something to mount to the steering cable bar and extend off of that, but I'm worried constant pounding will shake the little tiny screws that came with mounting brackets of the EQ. The EQ is a clarion and the boat is 98 vlx. What have you done to securely mount an EQ under the dash.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-05-2011, 6:57 PM Reply   
Most towboat dashes have a concealed material up and under the lower lip consisting of enough stock thickness to mount an EQ to. Oftentimes the problem is that it is at a right angle from the EQ bracket and/or the potential mounting surface is recessed too far up under the dash.
There are a couple of ways to do this.
An aluminum 'L' channel can be crosscut to the right length and adapt to the right angle surface. A coated and painted birch panel or HDPE panel can be used to bridge across whatever surfaces or stock is available. This also serves to provide a surface to strain relieve RCA and other cables. You can stabilize one end or corner of this panel with a thin section of aluminum flatbar that can be attached to the closest available structure. Also, thick 1/4" ABS is very easy to heatform with a small torch into any shape that you need for adaption. Sometimes on the tougher dashes it takes a combination of materials and techniques but you can always fabricate a mounting system that is super strong with basic materials and completely conceal it.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-05-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
I thought about the L bracket option, but I'm not sure if the fiberglass in my dash will hold the bracket all that well. My other concern is the very small mounting screws for the EQ, is there a way around this, or do you just use them and hope for the best, these things are made for cars, and cars don't have to cross wakes all day long. What I fabbed up is from a piece of aluminum stock with a couple brackets coming of it. I can make that part of the system very strong(although kinda DIY looking), it's the actual mount to the EQ that's bothering me. Thanks for your input David, I appreciate it cause sometimes it just takes an another viewpoint to spark a solution. I'm an electrician by trade and I build crap all the time.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-05-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
I had a similar problem and decided on this location. Its under the right side of the dash in front of the shift lever. Hope this pic helps...
Attached Images

Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-05-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
Chris,
You can always supplement all the custom bracketry with duct tape!
Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-05-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharoo View Post
I had a similar problem and decided on this location. Its under the right side of the dash in front of the shift lever. Hope this pic helps...
I'm really considering doing this on the other side, not ideal, but super easy and accessible. but I'm still worried about the very small screws clarion uses for mounting. does the wet sounds EQ provide a better option

David, duct tape has many applications but not for stereo installs on my boat! but I will use wire ties if needed!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-06-2011, 4:59 AM Reply   
Add a drop of blue Loctite thread lock to the screws before running them in to the EQ housing.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-06-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   

Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-12-2011, 6:53 PM Reply   
Here's some installed pics! thanks for the advise everyone
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
I attached mine directly to the deck. It is rock solid, the last thing you want is it moving around as you are twiddling the knobs.
Attached Images

Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2011, 9:48 PM Reply   
We cut into the dash, put some stereo straps being it to hold it up and make sure it doesnt move. It has worked well for us for a season so far very strong.
Attached Images

Old     (jmvotto)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-14-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
Mounted the ws 420 under the steering wheel, used 5 inch L brackets mounted to the existing bolts and then used a 9 by 7 inch piece of 1/2 inch ABS to mount the eq to. I also mounted the Pac lc1 and split the in boat channel so i can turn down the bow speakers.
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-14-2011, 4:34 PM Reply   
I had a local plastic shop make this for me. I just took them a cardboard template of what I wanted.
Attached Images

Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
Stupid Question:

I'm getting ready to buy a WS-420, and deciding where to mount it - easily accessible for everyone, or over by the throttle, so only easy for driver to reach?

Do you mainly control the stereo volume with the stereo head volume knob, and use the EQ to 'trim' it, or do you mainly use the EQ to adjust the volume?

Thanks
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-23-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
Very nice install Darren!

As for your question frosty, I say mount it where you, the captain of the boat, can reach it and no one else. Maybe it is just me, but I can't stand it when other people jack with my stereo. It can also be a safety concern if you are picking up a rider, dealing with boat traffic, etc. and someone decides to blast the volume when you are trying to concentrate. Just my $.02
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
Very nice install Darren!

As for your question frosty, I say mount it where you, the captain of the boat, can reach it and no one else. Maybe it is just me, but I can't stand it when other people jack with my stereo. It can also be a safety concern if you are picking up a rider, dealing with boat traffic, etc. and someone decides to blast the volume when you are trying to concentrate. Just my $.02
Thanks Seth, I hadn't thought of the drunken friends 'helping' with the volume...

I'm still wondering which volume control people here use the most, the head unit or the 420?
Whichever is closer?

I'm thinking that the way do it would be to tweak the settings with the 420, and then use the head unit to "mainly" control the volume.

Opinions?

Thanks,

David
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-24-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
I never touch the HU and do all of the volume control via the ws420. Once you get used to fine tuning between the towers and the boat, the master volume on the HU doesn't see much use.